Factory Ammo.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Didn't want to take over Cleveland's post with his excellent results with his 30-06 and factory ammo.

But it really is hard to beat todays stuff no matter how much time you spend at the reloading bench.

Case in point. Buddy picked up a new to him tang safety Ruger in 220 Swift this past summer. It wasn't shooting like he was hoping for and he wanted me to stop in and grab it to run some rounds through it to see if it was the gun or him.

It was him. This was my first 4 shots out of it at 100 yds with factory Hornady ammo. Easily covered with a dime. Don't even remember for sure what it was.....50 or 55 grain V-max's I think.

Yup, the refinement of factory loads (combined with some excellent quality in off-the-shelf firearms) has meant that we are no longer living in the days when factory ammo was considered "good" when it produced 2 MOA groups.

I agree. In recent years I've seen some of my rifle students shoot Federal Fusion into very impressive groups. BTW, that stuff is also impressive on game!

There is some excellent factory rifle and handgun ammo available anymore.

But, I really do enjoy handloading. :grin:

As I tell archery students; "9 times out of 10, it is the the Indian, not the arrow!" LOL

Works just as well for the firearm shooting students; "9 times out of 10, it is the Cowboy, not the bullet!"

It is going to go exactly where you tell it to go when you pull the trigger (or release the arrow). Follow through is very important!

Factory ammo is good. I try to have a 100 rounds of the factory ammo that any firearm shoots the best on hand, for that firearm. Just in case I run out of its favourite handload and I do not have time to load some more, or out of one of that load's components. A quick re-zero and I am hunting again. Many of the the factory loads I have will shoot 1/2" groups in my rifles at 100 yards, when I do my part. I also use it as an indication as to which bullet or bullet weight that rifle may show a preference for.

I think I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but I helped an old friend zero his 7-08 for an upcoming elk hunt. He used 140 grain Nosler AccuBond factory ammo. It shot very well. I'd hunt with it in a heartbeat!

Agree with all the above. I'll also say this, even cheap factory ammo is good and consistent enough that it often is way quicker, if not also the cheapest way to determine what is actually the problem with a problem rifle.

If you trust your shooting abilities and grab a box of Remington, a box of Federal, and a box of Winchester of the same bullet weight and can't get one of them to shoot an inch or under with a scoped rifle, then it's something that needs addressed with the gun and not something off with your load or loading practice.

Guy Miner":3ifa3x22 said:
I think I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but I helped an old friend zero his 7-08 for an upcoming elk hunt. He used 140 grain Nosler AccuBond factory ammo. It shot very well. I'd hunt with it in a heartbeat!

That 7mm-08 Nosler ammo shoots very well in my wife's Steyr too!

The Hornady 55gr v-max also shot well in my 220 swift. Velocity was as advertised also. I've bee very tempted to buy some Hornady superformance 130 interbond for my 270 win.

Back