Father / Daughter Turkey Hunt

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Dylann decided to go with pops on the 2nd day of turkey season here in Va. I was elated cause being 16 years old now you can never really tell what she wants to do and getting up at 0415 isn't usually really high on a kids priority list.

Anyhow, we went to our first spot and parked the Jeep, well before light. We donned our turkey hunting gear. Dylann had said she didn't wanna shoot this morning and just wanted to observe and listen. I was okay with that, I was just happy to have her along.

Anyhow, we walked down one of the cleared roads on the hunting property, once the first tinges of light started over the tree tops. We made some light tree calls but nothing responded. I'd hunted this EXACT same piece of the ground the day before, and gotten ZERO responses. I kinda think because it was a frosty 30 on the opener, while this day with Dyl it was a pleasant 48 degrees. Well, we slowly walked and continued making calls and such when we were getting right next to the same spot she took her first buck quite a few years ago. I made a couple soft clucks and a bird responded, but CLOSE! I was kinda frantic since we were in some thick veg and we couldn't really move forward since he was close and would likely spook, so we actually moved back a little to get a little better vantage. Well, now the bird was gobbling on his own and the last one sounded louder/closer.. I put Dyl down about 3-5 yards behind me, then I popped a squat and just started scratching in the leaves. Everytime I did he'd gobble. I quit messing around and got the gun up and pointed in the direction of last sound..

Well, before too long I could see his white head popping just under the bank we were sitting on. He was moving left to right and he knew he should be able to see what he was thinking was his mate for the morning. He'd moved pretty far to my right and too much further he'd be outta my killing zone. Well, this devil lifted his head up to look between two trees about 25 paces out and I gave him a shot!

I jumped up half expecting to see the tree had absorbed the shot and to my excited surprise the ol Gobbler was stone dead. Not a darned flop!

Dyl jumped up and said "Dad, you nailed him". Anyhow, we hugged and took pictures, lots of them cause that is what we do. We hugged some more and took more pictures. Anyow, it was an awesome morning. I couldn't have been happier were it a 350" bull elk I took on my own.

Those new Federal TSS shells sure are handy for measuring spurs!

Dyl and I taking it all in and enjoying the great morning together!

Thanks for looking! Nothing better in my book than hunting with family and excellent friends. Dylann has even said she is ready to shoot now.

Another neat thing is my Great Uncle Frank, who just passed in February was an extraordinary turkey hunter and made all of us kids great sounding box calls. He was also a huge believer in the 20 gauge for hunting birds, so this spring I decided I am going to try and stick with them and fill some tags!

That's fantastic glad you both had a great time together. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of your season goes and that she connects on a nice gobbler in the near future!

Really nice report Scottie. I feel like I was there and knew uncle frank. Sorry for the loss this year. Happy for Dylann getting into doing things with dad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty,
Congratulations to both you and Dylann on your double bearded Tom! A very exciting hunt that you both shared is awesome. I hope Dylann connects on a Tom next time out. Nicely done!

JD338

Great job man! Glad your daughter was with you! There just ain't nothing much better than great turkey hunt. Maybe she can get one next time, and best of luck to y'all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For sure, nothing better than a hunt with one of your children. Can't believe she is sixteen! Where does time go? A special day for both of you, Scotty.

My elder boy is the same age and once in a while I get him off the Xbox and out hunting. A little easier with his younger brother.
Last weekend we camouflaged some stands together.
Congrats on your shared success and looking back someday she will be grateful that you showed her your world!
Btw: my son is better with the shotgun than me my now. Guess that is what passing on the flame means...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Congratulations Scotty, Very Nice Father Daughter outing... Thanks for sharing.. Rol

Congratulations on a great day with your daughter and a fine exhibition of turkey hunting.

Dan

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. Always special to have your kids with you. Hope she gets hers next. My son has started using the 20 gauge and did well with it last year. Dan.

Scotty- you are a lucky man- and obviously you worked hard for the privilege. Great job! Good times...well done to have your daughter with you. CL

You are truly blessed, Scotty, congratulation on a great hunt with your daughter. My daughter, who is 29 now, was never interested in hunting.

You should probably keep that shotgun loaded though. LOL

That's great! Congratulations on a great day out with your daughter and a fine bird! I have 3 daughters and no sons, the oldest two wanted nothing to do with the outdoors, but the youngest loves to fish and hunt..I've been accused of "ruining a perfectly good girl"

Great hunt, good story, and real good gobbler! Fun stuff and great memories for all. Good job. (y)

Thank you fellas. At 16 it’s hard to get her attention but man, when I do there is no limit to what I’ll do for that girl. Just getting them kids over that teen age years will make a fella grey and bald, at least that is the excuse I use.

What beautiful birds. Congratulations on the daddy - daughter duo! Oh my would those taste good in the smoker!

Back