Favorite 22LR of all time?

Stick with the most perfected cartridge in the world, Joel, the .22 Long Rifle! If you need more power than that then you need a centerfire. JMO!

Joeelkdouglas - my youngest son has a .17 HMR - and it's a hoot. No recoil, and the pointy little 17 grain V-Max bullet scoots out at about 2600 fps... Sure puts a .22 long rifle to shame on varmints. Very accurate too.

IMG_0037.jpg

50 yard group from the bipod:
IMG_0036.jpg

His rifle was built by CZ, a real nice little magazine fed bolt action with a stout barrel and a little 3-9x Leupold. I'd highly recommend one, particularly for shooting smaller varmints. Dang it's an accurate little rascal - most .17 HMR's are!

Guy

Guy Miner":2jput0r2 said:
Marlin 39A - Dad taught me to shoot with one back about 1961 or so, and in his mid 80's now, he's still shooting it. His is actually the 39 Mountie - with the shorter barrel & straight grip stock. Mine is a 39A - love it. My all-time favorite rifle, not just my favorite .22 rifle!

IMG_3934.jpg

I do however have a soft spot in my heart for this wonderful old Win 52B that three generations of my family have used:

IMG_2590.jpg

And my oldest son's favorite is this variation on a Ruger 10/22:
IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Good .22's are terrific! I shoot far more .22 ammo every year than centerfire, far more!
nice winchester guy you have to love the 52b old school rifles that are still competitive today.

My favorite is a Anchutz I bought as a kid. It's probably the most accurate 22lr I've ever shot. One day when I was at the range I put a 1" sticky orange dot on a box at 50yds and proceeded to cut it out (on purpose).

RiverRider":1r46d7xb said:
BK":1r46d7xb said:
I've never shot (or, for that matter, even handled) either, but I sure would like either a Winchester repro, or a Remington 541T. I have handled a Kimber of Oregon Super America .22 (M82, maybe?) and it was sweet! If I could find one with a stock I liked, I would like to play with an Anchutz, too.

I had a 541-T and it was a pretty nice rifle, but I gave it up to make room (and funds) for the 52. The 52 seems to outshoot it handily.

52post.jpg

This is it!

My favorite was a Remington Mohawk 10C with a 4x Bushnell Scopechief. Countless bricks of ammo were shot. You could not stop that gun from functioning.

usmc 89":qjxhkvq0 said:
Guy Miner":qjxhkvq0 said:
Marlin 39A - Dad taught me to shoot with one back about 1961 or so, and in his mid 80's now, he's still shooting it. His is actually the 39 Mountie - with the shorter barrel & straight grip stock. Mine is a 39A - love it. My all-time favorite rifle, not just my favorite .22 rifle!

IMG_3934.jpg

Get it off the rocks! What is the matter with you? :evil: :wink:

Actually, now that I think about it a bit, my very favorite .22 is a Nylon 66 that belonged to my maternal grandfather, but it sure isn't the most drool-worthy!

Has to be the one I grew up with, and has me kinda hooked on single shots,,,,,,,,,
the Winchester 67.......................

...the old Winchester Mod. 67 has probably "kilt more stuff" than all my other firearms combined, & I'm convinced that for teaching safety & marksmanship a single shot .22 can't be beat...

...my Remington 541-T looks & feels almost like a Mod. 700 CDL, & it "shoots", tho it's a mite finicky about what it likes...

...but for "Classy .22's", the Brownings are hard to beat. The T-22, BL-22, & (especially) the Semi-Auto .22 tend to be closer to "works of art" than "plinkers", but they sure do "plink"...

My CZ 452 with 4x12 Bushnell 3200...no no my Marlin 39 with Williams Fool Proof peep...no no my Remington 521T with peep...no no my Ruger Mark I ...no no it's the Ruger Mark II with Nikon 2x oh, oh no its of course the S&W Mdl 63... oh, oh yes it is my Savage 24 Camper .22 over 20 ga oh, no no it's my Kimber 1911 with .22 conversion...oops my mistake I forgot it's my Beretta Bobcat. I give up! What is my favorite .22? :?:

OH, I've got it...the one I am shooting. I love .22s of all kinds!

Darn I forgot the Browning Auto! What a sweet little gun! Or maybe it was the Winchester 63 I had to sell in college to pay tuition?

I don't think I could honestly be expected to choose.

It could be the 10/22 I grew up with, now its got a nice custom walnut stock and heavy barrel on it. It could be the 77/22 VBZ that was the first .22 rifle I bought with my own money, or heck it could be any of the dozen or so Remington target rifles that I bought as part of a collection. Maybe its not even a rifle, it could be any one of my MKIIIs - probably the one I set up for competition use. This just isn't fair, can they all be my favorite?

There are many nice 22s out there. Here's a Browning T-Bolt I bought in the 1990s. I tuned the trigger to a crisp 2-1/2 lbs, and it'll shoot <1/2" groups at 50 yards.

Attachments

• Browning22-03.jpg
    Browning22-03.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 1,006
I can't believe no one has posted a pic of one of the best .22's ever made, JMB's semi-auto .22.

Can't find a photo of mine so I'll steal a pic from Browning:
Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-m.jpg

Grew up shooting one like this as a kid, a Remington model that granddad paid about $20 for during the Great Depression. Grandma used to head-shoot the chickens with it.

After getting out of the service in '74 I decided I wouldn't live long enough to inherit Granddad's so I bought the Browning for $125. Since then I've put untold thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots fine. Glad I bought mine because Granddad passed at 100 years just after last Christmas. Now Dad has Granddad's rifle.

Wow, i cannot believe that no one has listed remington's 121 fieldmaster or 12A pump 22's!
i grew up shooting grandpa's 121. Pic i stole from google has my cousin has it now.

Attachments

• remington model 121 field master.jpg
    remington model 121 field master.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 984
Back