Fedx delivery/photo ID required

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Saw on Natchez website that Fedx is now requiring photo ID like a federal type when hazardous stuff is delivered like powder and such. I guess this means driver's license or similar. Has anyone gone through this yet? Dan.

I bought primers from Natchez, they delivered them to my wife's office last week. I had warned her about this, so she was ready, but the FedEx driver didn't ask. Maybe because he knows her??

If you click the link on the Natchez site, it takes you to FedEx. They want you to have your ID scanned for automated age verification, but it also says you can decline the scan. This is for all HAZMAT shipping, so it likely is to meet some sort of DOT regulatory requirement for them. That said, in my personal experience I've never been asked for a signature on anything I've ever ordered and even had orders left on my porch before.

I was a FedEx driver and it applies to any age restricted items like alcohol and hazmat items. You can decline to have your ID scanned, the driver just enters they verified it, usually if the person is obviously over 18 I’ll just enter it that I verified it. The scanner won’t let you complete the delivery without verifying it, you’ll have to take it back with you. It doesn’t record any information on the ID, it just reads the birthday to verify age. Generally if it’s one of my regular customers I’d just leave it for them and enter age was verified it. It’ll be industry wide soon that age is “verified” with hazmat.

Last edited:
FedEx driver knows me and has left things for me. Just wondered if this was a new wrinkle. Dan.

If it’s a DOT regulation maybe it’ll be challenged in court seeing as how agencies do not have the power to make regulations as per the recent Supreme Court ruling.

It’s up to Congress to make the rules/laws and unconstitutional agencies like DOT are supposed to enforce it. Very few federal agencies actually have the power to exist from a constitutional standpoint.

Off the top of my head I can think of customs, immigration, state, department of the army/navy, and postal. Maybe the Marshall service but I’ll have to research that more.

Before we get too excited I see this having far reaching unintended consequences.

Vince

I was a FedEx driver and it applies to any age restricted items like alcohol and hazmat items. You can decline to have your ID scanned, the driver just enters they verified it, usually if the person is obviously over 18 I’ll just enter it that I verified it. The scanner won’t let you complete the delivery without verifying it, you’ll have to take it back with you. It doesn’t record any information on the ID, it just reads the birthday to verify age. Generally if it’s one of my regular customers I’d just leave it for them and enter age was verified it. It’ll be industry wide soon that age is “verified” with hazmat.
Thank you. First hand knowledge and experience trumps anything I can find online. Always.

I had a recent experience where I ordered some gunpowder for reloading on Natchez, and sure enough, the FedEx guy asked for my driver's license. It did catch me off guard because I hadn't heard about this new policy before. I get that they're trying to ensure safety and compliance with hazardous materials, but it did make me wonder about the potential for false identifiers or even fake ids. Like, how thorough is the verification process? Not that I'm planning anything fishy, just curious about how foolproof the system is.

Last edited:
The first company that won’t allow private citizens to ship firearms. 😔

Back