Few questions about the 6.5 swede

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I just have a few questions on the 6.5x55 and the CZ line of rifles. You dont hear to much about this cartridge. I was looking at a CZ 550. It has a 25.5" bbl and set trigger. Does anyone know how long the magazine is, and if you would be able to use 140g amax or vld as a repeater? I"ve been reading a little bit about the cartridge/rifle and it says most rifles have extremely long throats and most of the time you cannot seat the bullets out far enough to reach the lands and still use it as a repeater. Also, how fast can you push those 140's out of the swede, is 2800fps easily attainable, or pushing it??? I would like to use it for a LR coyote/deer rifle out to at least 600 yards, possibly 800. Hows the accuracy like with CZ's??? Dont hear or read to much about them. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Well, with 47.5gr of H4831, I'm pushing the 140gr Remington bullets at 2899. That's probably about a max load out of my model 96 Mauser. My best standard deviations are with 46.5gr of H4831.....

I love the rounds, I just don't have any experience with it in the CZ.

Thanks for the quick reply. 2900fps is not to shabby at all. How long is your bbl?? What do you think of the cartridge for LR deer hunting?? I am mainly interested in the magazine length to see if I can utilize the 140's, and of course, speed. I want 2800fps or better...

As I look through the nosler #4, I see most velocities are about 2750fps, they are however using a 23" test bbl, so with 2.5" more bbl length, you could probly add 100fps or so... I also see that RL-22 was the most accurate powder tested with the star at the top for a velocity of 2740fps at 46.5g. H4831 claims 47g at 2778 but the star is at the bottom for that powder at 43g only going a rather measly 2550fps. Now I know reloading manuals are only a guide and I'll be the first to tell anyone that, but I am just wanting others opinions and loads on the cartridges capability. However, I have used Noslers exclusively for about 10 years and there powder and accuracy loads are usually pretty right on... Thanks, and keep the info coming.

Mine is an old Military rifle, so it has a 29" barrel. Mine does have a long throat, as most military rifles do...again I don't know about the CZ.....The 6.5x55 is a great medium size long range rifle. Those long slender bullets make for great BC's. Once you get into the VLD's though, they have a tendency to need single shot loading in most rifles....

I have been using a 6.5-'06 for some years now (graduated from a M94 6.5X55 carbine), and maybe you should just go for a .264 Win Mag. You can definitely get your velocity numbers with the 140 gr bullets then, and you will almost certainly get a 9" twist barrel. The Euro standard is 7.87" with a throat for 156 gr or so bullets. 9" works with the 140 grainers, and I have been shooting the Berger 130 gr VLD in my 6.5-'06 as well. Having more twist than you need reduces your muzzle velocity, and does not buy you any better accuracy.

good hunting...jim

Remmy,
Be careful, you might get bitten by the 6.5 bug !
I had a .260 built on a M700 varmiter and ended up with a 25 in tube. I have some 140 VLD's I'd like to play with a little more, but can tell you in that one that COAL is longer than the magazine.
I've seen a shade over 2900fps with H414 and 130gr A-bonds and one of my favorites out of this one so far is the 100grain B-tip @ 3500 fps.
Took three yotes with 95gr V-maxes on the first trip out... I posted pics in the hunting section sometime back.
Unfortunately I'm not much help on the CZ either.

Rem, my Wife's 6.5x55 Swedish Mau. was cut back to 24" & "sporterized".
I loaded the 130 Acc. to 2,800 & it was great on WY. Ant. last fall. A modern action could be loaded a little hotter.

if you are really thinking about 800 yrd shots I would go with a 700 rem senduro or special edition in 264 win mag... Actually if I was planning to shot anything at 800 yrd I would be thinking of a 338 laplua mag or a 50 bmg or ultra mags

You dont need ultra mags or 338 super mags, or 50 BMG's to shoot deer at 800 yards....Any regular 7mm RM or 300, or .264 will do it very easily, and they'll all do it to 1K as well, with out the expense and recoil.

And BTW, I do have a 338 EDGE which shoots a 300g SMK @2850fps which is a 1500 yard rifle in the right hands. In my hands, its an easy 1K rifle for elk/bear. Not exactly my deer rifle, but I do think I"ll be taking it with me this year just so I can get a kill under its belt. Its a little over kill for deer...It still has over 2,000ft lbs energy at 1000 yards, which is about what a 308 has at 100 yards...

I shot my buck last year at 790, (1 shot) with a 7 RM and 162g amax at 2900fps. So I"m not really "thinking" about it, I'm actually "doing" it.

i have tried different bullets in my 6.5x55 and have settled on the 120gr ballistic tip with h4350 powder at 2850fps. i think in the modern actions out there, higher velocity is possible. just not safe in the model 96 i have

In loading for my dad's 6.5x55, I experimented with 125 and 140 partitions and 129 interlock bullets. The powders I experimented with include IMR 4350, H 4350, and RL-22. I tested all in .5 grain increments 2 grains below max for modern actions. In order of accuracy, these are the combinations that worked best in this sporterized M95 Mauser:

129 Interlock, BC .445, SD .264, 43.5 RL-22, WW brass, WLR, 3.050"
125 Partion, BC .449, SD .256, 44.5 H4350, WW brass, WLR, 3.035"
140 Partion, BC .490, SD .287, 41.0 IMR4350, WW brass, WLR, 3.025"

Yote,

POP turned me onto some H414 for my .260 ya might give that a try also if you happen to already have a can?

I`ve had 3 swedes and still one. All have prefered R22 with 129 or 140gr bullets. H4831 is another good powder and works very well with 120 gr BTs as does H4350. The 6.5x55 in my experiance seems to thrive on the slower powders.

Ol'Joe, I'd be interested to know your powder charge/powder/ bullet combos that worked good for those bullets if you have any are/were loaded in Mauser/K31 actions. Thanks! You can PM for liability reasons if you'd like.

Powerstroke, I just looked up and saw your post. I might have to give that powder a try someday if my dad doesn't take his 6.5 away from me before I get a chance. He and my Mom are coming for a visit next week and I can guarantee he will be getting some trigger time with it, hopefully with me spotting prairie rats for him. Anyway, I have very good luck with that H414 shooting 70 grain TNTs in a 243 AI I had a couple yrs ago. Stands to reason it would be a great choice in a 6.5 also with the lighter to medium weight bullets. I may never know.... :cry:

Well I decided to just keep my 7 RM for my long range deer rifle. It hits quite a bit harder then the 6.5, and its braked so it kicks like a 22-250. Plus its super accurate with anything I feed it. If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Thanks for everyones feedback. I still would like to get a 6.5mm of some sort one of these days, I"ll just have to start saving...

Hey the 7mm mag is a great round! Can not go wrong.

YoteSmoker":1bvwsmuh said:
Ol'Joe, I'd be interested to know your powder charge/powder/ bullet combos that worked good for those bullets if you have any are/were loaded in Mauser/K31 actions. Thanks! You can PM for liability reasons if you'd like.

You`ve a message........

Back