File down clip for longer COAL

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
For my 300 WSM, 180 gr Barnes TTSX i measured my bullet touching the lands at 3.367 with the Hornady OAL gauge and comparator, Barnes recommends .05 off of this so 3.317. When I seat to this length the bullets don't fit in my clip in my Sako A7. Has anyone ever filed down the clip to seat longer bullets? This is a plastic clip, any suggestions on the cleanest way to do this? I might bring this idea to my gunsmith.

BTW -these cheap little clips are $85 to replace!

My first thought is, have you shot the rifle with that load? Secondly, have you grouped your load at magazine length to see the results.? I have heard here of Barnes bullets having to be seated much deeper than that for accuracy.

Like what was commented before. Do an OCW test first. Single load it. And if the OAL needs to sit farther than your mag length then worry about it. You first need to see if you're wasting your time. OCW it first, by single loading the rounds that have the longer OAL

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Seat them to fit and feed from the mag box and go deeper if needed. TSX and TTSX do like a good jump to the lands.

Good points, got a little ahead of myself. I have been shooting loads deeper seated that fit in the magazine and am looking to improve accuracy. I guess my question was more curiosity if anyone has ever done this before.

I did something similar sort of and ran into the bullet not fitting/feeding past the chamber ramp. Loaded to AI mag length, which is somehow longer than the action 'well' . Can't feed from the mag so I have a good 90 that I need to single feed. Now I check to see if the bullet can get past the feed ramp on my other magazined rifles. This is a Rem 700, .308 in a magpul stock

bob_dobalina":3g15xp2v said:
Good points, got a little ahead of myself. I have been shooting loads deeper seated that fit in the magazine and am looking to improve accuracy. I guess my question was more curiosity if anyone has ever done this before.
You can but you're not gaining much space. Beside the ammo moves forward in the mags. Could induce some feeding issues. You never know. Get a DTA then you can load your bullets long. They make the best mags out there

What accuracy are you currently achieving? In addition go ahead and load them longer and see what the difference is. Single shots are a pain but it will help establish a baseline that, you can achieve by modifying the rifle. If the cost is worthwhile you will have a direction to go in.

Elkman":1qxotxyg said:
What accuracy are you currently achieving? In addition go ahead and load them longer and see what the difference is. Single shots are a pain but it will help establish a baseline that, you can achieve by modifying the rifle. If the cost is worthwhile you will have a direction to go in.
Or find another Bullet to shoot

Back