Finally getting started on my .243

Good luck. I'm betting if you can seat near the rifling you won't have a lot of time on the loading table.

if I can offer a couple of tips for slow powders in the 243 .
when I was reloading 243 for my son , I used IMR7828 with 100 gr partitions . this was before the " ssc " version was available . I was using a highly compressed load . one problem I found was with a very compressed load of powder can , and will , push the bullet back out of the case . my fix for this was to run all the ammo back through the seating die the next day . after the second trip through the COAL's stayed where I wanted . I used a drop tube funnel , but was trying to settle the powder more . what I did was use two matching loading trays. I put the empty primed brass in one tray and filled with powder , then I placed the other tray on top of the powder filled brass and held it together while resting it on top of my lyman vibratory case cleaner . the top tray kept the powder in the case and kept the cases in the lower tray . this settled the powder well . be sure the upper tray is clean and , no stray powder kernels in it .

Good tip. Thanks. Hopefully the 7828 ssc will fit better. After the holidays calm down and the last few items I ordered come in I will be able to get some different charge weights loaded. I still don't own a chronograph, but I have done enough reloading in the past to know what pressure signs look like. Primers are usually the first thing in my experience followed by ejector marks and harder than usual bolt lift. I don't like to go passed flattened primers usually.

Well I got bored so I decided to run this brass through a Redding body die and the Lee collet die just so I know that they are as consistent as I can make them. While doing that...my hand primer showed up! Early Christmas for me! So I have 100 cases sized and primed. Made up some dummy rounds with A 105 amax and a 90 e-tip (Live in Kalifornia)to find my max OAL and got the Forster micrometer seater set. I'm getting close. Still need to moly the 105 hpbt's. But I plan on testing 25 amax 5 each with 7828 ssc and 25 of the hpbt. Starting at 44 grains going up to 46 grains in .5 increments. Also going to try to get a load for the E-tip developed. Probably start with H 4350 for these. I know that the general rule is .100" off the lands but why? Surely it wouldn't hurt to start .010" off the lands with a minimum load to start with?

You can surely start closer but I'd bet your going to end up in the same place or near the .100" off.

Good luck. Can't wait to see your targets.

I will stick to the .100" off. Gonna have to wait for some calm weather to shoot some groups. I don't have access to a bench so I'll be shooting prone off a bipod most likely.

Decided to just load 3 at each charge. I figure if 3 don't group then two more aren't going to help. I decided to work with one powder at a time. IMR 7828 ssc this time. On the left are the 105 Amax at .010" off the lands. Started at 43 gr and went up to 45gr. To the right are some 90 gr E-tips at .100" off the lands. Boy was that some powder crunching! Started at 45gr and went up to 47gr. I didn't want to get to carried away on the first go. I'm not sure if 48 gr will even fit with the bullets seated so deep. I'm going to try the same charges 43gr through 45gr with the 105 grn hpbt after I get them mollied.

Attachments

• 20141225_123357.jpg
    20141225_123357.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,443
No I just have a funnel. I did Tap the side of the cases to settle the powder. It wasn't necessary with any of the 105 grn loads.

I made use of my day off today and headed up to the mountains to get some shooting in. Overall it went pretty well all things considered. Unfortunately, I fubared the first target that I shot the 105 Amax ' s on. Let's just say that 43gr of 7828ssc shot close to same point of impact as the factory 100 gr federal I used to break the barrel in. 43.5gr went over the top and so did 44gr. By the time I got it figured out...I managed to drill the small rock holding my target taped to a cardboard box on the side of the hill 102yd away(Laser ranged). The box and target was shredded.

I knew those lower charges weren't really where I wanted to be anyways so I wasn't too upset at myself. You can see the 3 shot group of the 45gr 7828ssc Amax on the first target. Doesn't look too impressive, but there was a gusting 5 mph wind from left to right. I saw no pressure signs on any of the loads from 43gr to 45gr. On the same target are the 90 gr E-tip loads. I wasn't expecting too much from these right off the bat. 46.5gr seems good enough to hunt. I may go up another half grain or grain and see how that looks before changing the seating depth.

The other target is the 105 hpbt. No pressure signs up to the 45gr charge. Again, I will probably keep going up until I find max before I back off. 44.5gr measured out at .360", yes I know it's only a three shot group. There is room for improvement. I shot all of these prone off of a bipod.

Attachments

• 20150101_190150.jpg
    20150101_190150.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,416
  • 20150101_190123.jpg
    20150101_190123.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,416
I have used IMR4350, Hybrid 100V, and IMR 7828 a lot in both .243 and .257 Roberts. They all work and are accurate

Looks real good to me for your first run at it. The 90 ET should be a heckuva good bullet in the 243. That 105 HPBT looks real good as well. Any idea how far off the rifling you were for each load?

If you have 4831 or 4831sc, give it a try with the 100gr + bullets. Mine loves that setup.

hellrazor":fnon10rt said:
If you have 4831 or 4831sc, give it a try with the 100gr + bullets. Mine loves that setup.

I do, as well as H1000. I'm almost afraid that my rifle will like one of those. That stuff seams impossible to find!

True. I have an 8# keg since I have a few rifles who love it. 2 243's and a 264WM really group well.

Well, I'm hoping I didn't mess up testing that combo with fully sized cases vs fire formed and neck sized only cases. At least I have a couple fairly accurate loads that I can use for fire forming. Should I retest 7828 ssc with my once fired and neck sized brass? I need to get a chronograph. I think I'm close to max at 45 grains, the primers are looking flat but aren't cratered, no ejector mark and no sticky bolt lift. It's definitely a stout load, but I believe I can go up to 45.5 grains or maybe 46 grains. Other option is to try a different powder, but I'm really thinking I should get a chronograph first so I can tell if I'm getting the velocity I'm looking for.

Good luck on your loading. If your 243 likes the E-tip and it groups it well, I know you will be pleased with it's performance on game. It is a penetrating machine! Really works well in my son's 6mm Remington.

I got the one group at 46.5 gr of 7828ssc. I didn't measure it, looks like 1/2" to me for 3 shots. Good enough to hunt with in CA, I am not putting my eggs in that basket however. The expansion seems to really drop off at 400 yds and beyond. I did shoot a pig with the 90 grain E-tip a few years back. Good penetration, but the pig DID stop both slugs. The range was about 50yds if I remember correctly.

The investment in a chronograph pays big dividends to the serious hand loader. The cost is nominal today for any of a number of good chronographs. The Shooting Chrony Beta Master model sis on sale at Midway USA for $119.99, for instance. The ProChrono Digital is $99.99; ProChrono Pal is $89.99; etc. The data can be a real eye opener.

Back