Finally got to the range....300H&H, 300WSM, 30-06, 257 Robts

Tom. you can certainly buy a circular inletting (cutting) chisel, scraper and hand inlet the sight boss into the stock. I guess it is your choice on how you want to proceed with that. I would just hog clearance out very carefully with a Dremel burr and be done with it.

As for the barrel channel, I noticed that it was pretty large diameter for a standard contoured Winchester barrel. I guess that you can either leave it as it is or glass bed the entire barrel length for aesthetics. You do not need to decide that right now and it may be either an aestehic or practical need which will further divulge itself as you develop loads for the rifle and that stock.

Charlie, maybe I'll approach it that way. I figured I'd measure and mark off where the bored hole needs to be for the stud the barrel screw would engage and drill that into place. Figured I'd probably use a slightly larger bit to "counter sink" the opening. Once that is done, I can see if and how much material needs to come off to inlet the rest of the rear sight base.

Well, the stock was a bust. Will be re-selling it shortly. Meantime, if anyone sees a good pre-war stock, particularly if it's inletted for a magnum magazine box, please let me know! :)

Tom, I am sorry that the stock did not work out for you, I hope that you can at least sell it and recover your money on Ebay or somewhere. I will help do a search for a prewar stock for you. Maybe I can at least help?

Thanks, Charlie! I appreciate all the help I can get!

I'm watching one now that is without checkering....that's ok...if I can get it cheaply enough, I'd have it checkered, or buy the tools and practice on wood scraps first, then checker it myself.

Also watching a GORGEOUS supergrade stock on ebay...I'm certain it will get too costly for me, but I will give it a try at least!

Good luck with it Tom. Hope you can find something for your rifle you are happy with.

Tom a really great post, beautiful rifles all. Just a hint 4831 and the 300 mag, kind of go hand and hand. Especially withe the 200 gr bullets? Keep trying you will find the magic load.

Yeah, I have to get back to my load data. Scotty ran me a QL on the H&H. I started with RL22, but I have 4831 on hand....either that or 4831sc...I have to look. I've heard some folks really like 7828 in the H&H, too. Lots to play with, but the gun seems to really want to shoot.

I bought some 165gr PT's for the old '06. The more I look at the Partition and it's abilities, the more I like it.

My first elk hunt is in 2013. I'm already practically salivating over taking the 300H&H into the mountains for elk. Once I get a little familiarity with the concept of hunting something other than whitetails, I'm really thinking I'll be back to elk country frequently.

tddeangelo":2mxpt6ma said:
My first elk hunt is in 2013. I'm already practically salivating over taking the 300H&H into the mountains for elk. Once I get a little familiarity with the concept of hunting something other than whitetails, I'm really thinking I'll be back to elk country frequently.

Tom, you have no idea what elk country is going to do to you!

Your 300 seems to shoot just fine. I don't think you will have too much more to get a load, once you find the stock you wanna use.

I know, Scotty! I'm anxious to branch out a bit. It's time to get out of the east and see what hunting other places is like!

Speaking of such, and not to hijack my own thread (is that even possible? lol), but I looked at Sitka packs the other day. Boy, they're nice. Might have a hard time deciding between the Eberlestock X2 I was set on and the Sitka Flash 20 I looked at.

I checked out that Sitka as well. I know they make quality gear, but I haven't ever owned any of it. I am not sure you could make a bad choice between the two of them. Plus, a pack like that should really last just about forever with anykind of decent care.

I think your 300's with 180-200's would be what right looks like in the mountains. When your staring down an elk at 400 or so, you won't regret having the extra oomph to get it done. That I am sure of.

I like the 200gr AB....if I can get that shoot, it seems like a no-brainer in the long H&H case. That sucker is a LOOOOOONG bullet! I bet it'd go half way to the case head if loaded in a 308 Win!

Tom, MGW (Midwest Gun Works) has a Safari Grade Winchester (New Haven) stock with AA fancy wood for $400. You would still have to inlet the mount sight boss in to the stock barrel channel. Just something to think about while I am looking. You might call them and ask what stocks they have stashed in the back room, you never know!

I would call Paul and Sharon Dressel in Yakima Washington as well. They have many inletted blank stocks for sale of all different grades.

On the reloading note, I have some RL19 loads for the 300H&H put together. QL data looks interesting with it. I have more of the 300WSM load to verify (hopefully), and I want to put together some loads with the 165PT's I got for the '06 and see how they shoot.

My .300 H&H's with the 165 Partition shot really well with 69.0 gr of IMR 4350, like the .300 WSM did, plus a Fed 215 MMatch primer.

tddeangelo":2iwwaxqh said:
On the reloading note, I have some RL19 loads for the 300H&H put together. QL data looks interesting with it. I have more of the 300WSM load to verify (hopefully), and I want to put together some loads with the 165PT's I got for the '06 and see how they shoot.

That should be a decent one Tom. I would think the 4350/RL19 would be a good performer, it certainly works really well in the WSM for me.

Back