Finally got to the range....300H&H, 300WSM, 30-06, 257 Robts

Inletting looks about right for prewar action and tang. You wil have to do front barrel lug inletting though and punch inleted barrel screw set, out of your old stock or buy a new set from Wisner.

I was thinking of skipping the barrel screw, as many have said it's best to leave it off?

Dunno....was just going to inlet for the barrel/lug and leave it at that...

Tom, my Transition .270 does not have a barrel screw in the custom stock. It shoots groups under MOA and stays the same zero, year and year out. I have always had to fiddle with the barrel screw torque settings anyway to get the rifle to shoot right. Not having it is actually easier.

Whoa a 300 H&H, 30-06, AND 300 Wizzum, all in M70... you, sir, are a LOONY :) ! I love it!

You had one of those wonderfully satisfying days that are a rifleman's dream... and I was glad to see your comments about the Bob load... I am not so understanding... when I find a good hunting load that "just works," I can't risk ruining it with a trip over the chrono. It is dumb I know, but I just stay away and know its as good as I need.

You've got a nice stable of rifles right there!

Tom very nice rifles. I'm kind of partial to the 30-06 and your load is almost exactly the same one for my 30-06! :) I can't believe you would even talk about re-Ebaying one of those things. :evil:

Nice collection. Just need an elk in your sights now.
David

David,

I'm not talking about getting rid of that rifle! Heck no! That one is kinda my favorite!

No, I'm talking about the boogered up stock from the 300H&H, and the one I just bought (if it doesn't work for me).

No, that '06 isn't goin' ANYWHERE!

It is a shame about the stock on the .300 H&H Tom, I had to toss my .270 Super Grade Winchester stock. I just could not reprieve it from the modifications which had been done. Maybe you could inlay some ebony wood inlays or similar, into the diamonds where the plastic is now and update the recoil pad? I have seen that done and it looked decent. At least, that would give you a better looking extra stock for that rifle.

The "new" stock is in the PO awaiting pick up (for the 300H&H). Will be working on it shortly, hopefully have the gun dressed more nicely soon....

Thanks, Scotty. Hopefully I can do the inletting needed. Once that's done, should be a great stock on that 300H&H!

:)

Wow...the stock came in.....just freakin' WOW. The pics on the auction didn't do it justice. The figure in this wood is much more than I would have ever anticipated. Now, to do the rear sight inletting and not screw it up.... :eek:

Maybe your pictures (that you are surely going to post) will rectify the poor job on the auction site. :grin:

Good luck with that Tom, I hope that the inletting is 99% finished. It looked as though it had been glass bedded in the action and tang.

Here's some of the more eye catching grain...

stock.jpg

The wood grain looks really nice! It seems as though you get a really good deal. The inletting is no big deal with a carbide half round or ball cutter, just take your time.

Oldtrader3":3vopwyne said:
The wood grain looks really nice! It seems as though you get a really good deal. The inletting is no big deal with a carbide half round or ball cutter, just take your time.

Are you talking about attachments to a Dremel, Charlie? Was thinking of picking up a small, sharp wood chisel to approach this.

I carefully fitted it into the stock last night to see where work was needed. Looks like the following:

-I need to bore the hole for the bottom portion of the sight base (where the screw threads are. From there, I'll see how it all fits in the barrel channel. While the listing says it was inlet for a heavy barrel, It does not look like there will be a large gap between the stock and barrel.

-Mag box is a bit too long for the magazine well in the stock....1/8" or so maybe...I'm sure this is likely due to the caliber of the rifle. The bolt handle recess, ejection port region, etc all line up perfectly. So, I'll need to open up the mag well a touch.

-Floor plate and trigger guard fit snug, but all lines up perfectly, fits well, screw holes align, etc.

The rest seems to work out well. I think my first steps will be inletting the rear sight base and adjusting the mag well so I can assemble it. The next step after that will be adding a longer/thicker recoil pad. The stock lines up the scope pretty well and with a very solid cheek weld. The wood is "high" along the left side of the receiver. I'm still contemplating this, as I like the lines of the "low wood" profile on the Winchester stock. Slow, careful measurement and removal of material would likely be easy enough to do and result in a similar profile. Just not sure if I want to under take it.

I've also contemplated if I want to get it checkered. Would be nice to have it checkered, but not sure if that's a wise idea given the already physically sound and aesthetically pleasing finish on the wood.

I had really thought I'd want to use this for a time and then get a more "original" styled stock. The Winchester stocks just feel right for me....lots too much drop, but nimble, trim, and well balanced.

Looking at this stock now, I don't think I'll be doing that. ;)

Back