Finally got to the range....300H&H, 300WSM, 30-06, 257 Robts

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Well, I finally got to take some rifles and put them across a bench today.

In the line up, we have:

-pre-war Winchester in 300H&H

-pre-64 Winchester in 30-06

-Wincheser FWT XTR in 257 Roberts

-FN-made Winchester in 300WSM

A few obserations, first:

1- The 300H&H recoil was quite manageable, as I'd been told to expect. Definitely not as abrupt as the 300WSM, and I was shooting 200gr bullets in the H&H vs 180's in the WSM.

2- The Swaro Z3 I have on the 300H&H just flat out ROCKS! I can't really say enough good things about spending time at the range behind such a scope. It was very cool!

3- The Minox ZA-3 I have on the pre-64 30-06 was pretty darn good, too. Really good. My dad looked through it, after using his Zeiss Conquest, and said "what's the big deal? They look the same!" I replied with "That Minox cost me $250 to my door, with a BDC reticle." He just looked at me... "Are you serious?" LOL....yeah, Mr. Minox did just fine today. :) (I caught CLNY's New Year sale to get that price, by the way.) Looks good on the old rifle, too....

minox06.jpg

4- I enjoy all my Winchesters, regardless of vintage. I really cannot tell you which is my favorite, although the pre-64 '06 is growing on me, and FAST.

OK, results:

300H&H

No group pics to post, best I got was about 1.25", BUT.... I noticed a profound tendency to string horizontally. Of course, I didn't check anything out relative to this till I was done shooting, and I discovered that either I didn't fully tighten the windage screws on the Redfield base, or they worked loose. It's entirely possibly I didn't tighten them down like I should have. The good news here is that the vertical dispersion was very small, often less than 1/2".

I was shooting 200gr AB's with RL 22. Chrono data below:

66.0gr: 2682, 2737, 2721
66.5gr: 2754, Chrono Error, 2772
67.0gr: 2777, Chrono Error, Chrono Error
67.5gr: 2807, 2818, 2783

These loads led to some stiff extraction/bolt lift. I decided not to shoot the last batch of 68.0gr I made up, and I'll look to other powders. While I can't fairly judge the accuracy, I should get better speed before hitting stiff extraction issues.

257 Roberts

I did not shoot this one for a group. I had to put an old scope on it for now (stole it's Minox for the pre-64 '06, lol). I did, however, want to chrono the load I'd hunted with last year and have been getting great accuracy from. This is RL22, 45.0gr, under a 110gr AB.

Chrono data for 3 shots: 2645, 2661, 2650.

Remember, this is a featherweight with a 22" barrel.

pre-64 30-06

This one was a joy to shoot. The added Limbsaver on the stock is not unnoticed. The rifle is just plain fun to shoot! While not a collector's find, it sure is winning me over fast as my favorite of the bunch.

I didn't load specifically for this rifle. Instead, I brought some military surplus Greek HXP ammo to sight it, then shot it for groups with my current 30-06 hunting load, which is 57.5gr of IMR4350 under a 165gr Hornady GMX. This turns in 3/4" or smaller groups (have shot one under 1/2")in my M70 Classic.

It printed a group of 1.10" at 100, and I called it good. My dad got in on this one, and he really enjoyed shooting it. A lot, lol.

Group pic (sorry for the tilted angle, the flash blew out the pic if I didn't do that):

3006_165GMX575IMR4350.jpg

The three together at the lower left are the group "for record" that I fired, the others are scope adjustments. It's not letter-perfect, but close. That is a 3" dot, so it's maybe a tad right of where I want it. I really enjoyed that Minox on the '06. Really made the sight-in process easy and responded as expected.

My dad later fired this rifle, two for a "group" that went about 3/4", with the first "pin-wheeling" the center of the dot he was aiming for. He was really enjoying that rifle.

Chrono readings that I got on this load: 2807, 2801, 2807, 2789, 2801, 2795.

That's about 50fps slower than it runs in my Classic. I forget why or how, but I'd found on my dad's chrono online (model escapes me at the moment) that it's generally reading on the slower side, some said maybe 50fps slower than "actual". I have no of knowing that, so those are the numbers as I recorded them.

300WSM

This one really made me pleased today. If I get an encore performance out of it, I'm tickled to death. In this one, I was running a 180gr PT over RL19.

Initial groups produced ok results, but nothing stellar. First, chrono data:

66.0gr: 2726, 2766, 2777
66.5gr: 2807, 2795, 2812
67.0gr: 2836, 2842, 2824
67.5gr: 2873, Chrono Error, 2867
68.0gr: Did not shoot.

Why didn't I shoot 68.0gr? I had the rounds, and there was no bad sign of pressure.

Here's a pic of 67.5gr....that might explain why I stopped.

300WSM_180PT675RL19.jpg

That's 0.650" center-to-center. With velocities knocking on 2900fps and accuracy like that, I'd be tickled to hunt with that load, and it looks like, if it'll repeat, it just needs about a 1/2-3/4 minute correction in windage to be bang on the money. That's a 4" dot with a 1" white cener. That would put it around 2" high. Probably a hair high for a 200 yard zero, but pretty close.

I'm anxious to get the 300H&H sorted out on the mounts and get it back on the bench soon. Gotta look at data and pick another powder to try,too.

I like what I see out of the pre-64 30-06. 1.1" is not a bragging size group, but more than good enough for hunting, and it's the same load my other 30-06 shoots. That is handy, so I'll live with the groups being a little bigger than I'd ideally settle for. That old '06 is just such a nimble, well-made, great feeling rifle. It's just a flat out hunting rifle as a hunting rifle is really supposed to be, at least...to me it is.

I can't wait to see what the 300H&H is really capable of, though. I'm excited for that. It was pleasant to shoot today....noticeably moreso than my 300WSM, and the H&H was moving 200gr bullets near the same vel as the WSM was doing with 180's, so that tells me the H&H is indeed not too rough on the shoulder.

Looks like you had a very satisfying day at the range. Too bad about the loose screws, but now you've saved up a little success for later. Spread that success over a few days, I always say. Great shooting, especially on that .300 WSM!

Good day Tom, the .300 H&H is a pretty hot load for the 200 gr bullets. The Roberts needs more powder, you can get close to 3000 fps with that bullet in that rifle. My Roberts is 24 inch barrel but 200 fps faster.

It seems as though the .30-06 wants to shoot. They groups are pretty good for first time out. I am happy that rifle is working out for you. Good deal all around.

Sounds like a great day with your father at the range.

Your 300H&H sounds like it's a gamer. Too bad the RL-22 didn't work out but it shows the potential of that cartridge. 200gr@~2800+fps is bad ju-ju.

Glad to hear the -06 was a good purchase. I too appreciate the quality the Minox scopes offer at their price point. Another rifle that likes 57-58gr of IMR-4350 with the 165gr bullet. No surprises there! You do have a few-06's. I think it's time to choose a donor!! :)

Not sure if you should have chrono'd the 257 load. If I remember correctly, it's accurate. Now you're going to want to crank it up. It's early though, you have time.

Looks like you've duplicated your WSM load too. Excellent day!

Thanks, guys.

Charlie, I came upon that load in the 257 buy starting real low looking for a light kicker for my daughter to use when she starts hunting. Turned in great accuracy, so I hunted with it. Shot two deer last year with that load and it did a superb job on the two big whitetail doe I shot with it. I do think I may run some hotter rounds, just for kicks.

The '06, I'm sure, would shoot tighter groups if I loaded specifically for it....I'm not sure I want to go hotter on that load, and it shoots plenty good enough for hunting, and now I don't need two rounds.

The one experiment I considered was swapping the GMX for an PT of the same weight and see what I get.

CSC- The near or just over max charge of IMR4350 and a 165gr bullet load seems to be a performer for many handloaders I've talked to! I could dicker with it a bit, but that rifle's ready to hunt as it stands.

I should now put a proper scope my dad's old 1917 Sporter (still in '06) and give that a run, too, with those loads. Those are my only 3 hunting '06's. The rest of the "herd" is military stuff. (8 total in 30-06, lol.)

As for a donor.....the jury's still out, lol.

Tom, the PT might shoot better? Some of the older Model 70's do not shoot boatail bullets as well. I guess try it and see?

Man that's fun. I need to have one of those days soon. I got stuff loaded just need to get to it including a 175 PT jug test. Never enough time. Especially in the heat we have been getting 107 108 109. It makes it tough maybe Thursday morning after my last night shift!

Congratulations on some fine shooting rifles. Your 300WSM is in the zone. All the 300WSMs that I've shot were more than acceptable. The H&H should simply be fun, as is the 30-06 and the 257 Bob. In total, it looks as if it was a gratifying day for you and your dad.

What a day of all awesome Winchesters on the range Tom! I can't wait! Got a lot of catching up to do. Glad the Minox is working out well for you. I love mine..

Oldtrader3":vp1tfuu6 said:
All Winchester, all day, what could be better?

Total of 5 were in play, Charlie. My dad was shooting his featherweight 7mm-08 as well.

Tom, congratulations on all the rifles. I was interested in what you were going to turn up with the .300WSM. I use IMR4831 with 180 grain Noslers or Sierra Pro Hunters in mine and with 67.5 grains (not a max load) I get 3030FPS and 3/4 inch groups. Rifle is Kimber Montana. The short mag is quite a cartridge and works extremely well on Elk.

I'm going for elk next fall. I plan to take the 300H&H and the 300WSM. I think either would be fun to hold next to a dead elk. Lol.

Tom,

Good show. As mentioned, try a couple more grains of RL 22 in the 257 Roberts.
My M700 Classic has a 24" barrel and 48.0 grs RL 22 with the 110 gr AB gets Avg MV 2974 fps, ES 16 abd SD 8 with .75 MOA accuracy.
The 300 WSM is ready to go.

JD338

You know, what's funny is my current load is 2 full grains over listed max on Nosler's website. ;)

I do plan to push the Bob a bit harder. I have this load documented for charge weight and COAL. I can always return to it for my daughter when she's ready (she'll be 10 this year). Might be time to see what the 257 can really do with that 110.....

Have a replacement stock inbound for the 300H&H. Hopefully it works out as I'm thinking it will. If not, i'll have to "re-Bay" it.

I bought my Weatherby Mark V Eurosporter stock on Flea Bay. It was brand new and unmessed with but this was from a dealer who is an OEM for Weatherby. Plus the stock was only $125 because it was a discontinued Model.

The .257 Roberts is still pretty lawyered up on published loads, even in the older manuals. If you have a #3 or #4 Nosler, the loads are stiffer than #6. You can safely stay under 58 KSI with 100V and a couple other powders and get over 3000+ fps from the 110 AB with, I expect, high accuracy. I just started with this caliber and have not bought any 110 AB's yet. However, I am safely getting over 3000 fps with the Nosler 100 PT and 45.0 grains of IMR 4350 which is a mild load. I am also loading some 85 Nosler BT's at 3400 with IMR 4064 (44.0 grs). All of these use the CCI BR-2 primer.

Quite a few of my loads, especially in smaller calibers (up to .338 Federal), seem to be about 1.5 to 2 grains above the current published Nosler loads. I suspect that they have cut back from earlier edition loads, maybe because of variations on lots of powder? I buy at least 2 pounds of IMR 4350, 4064, 7828 SSC at once and this lasts me about 2 years of not worrying about changing or different lot burning rates.

Charlie, I found a "custom" prewar stock.....short on the LOP, but it already has a thin Whiteline pad, so if I replace that with a Limbsaver, that should give a little more space.....real nice chunk of wood.....we'll see if it works. If not, I should be able to recover my money, or mostly so. I paid less than $100 with shipping.

That is a really good price for a Pre War stock, Tom. The limbsaver (#10003 I think?) is about 1 inch thick and should add some length of pull. Good luck with that and let me know how it goes. You can always get your money back on that one, if the stock is sound. The original older floorplates on the Model 70 required a stock cut for a pad to be installed because of the point of the floor plate wrapping around the upper butt stock edge, anyway.

Back