Finally my youngest daughter scores

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
My youngest daughter and I have been hunting all week. We had been watching a group of deer and had them patterned well before season. The afternoon of opening day I managed to call in the smaller of the two bucks so I was done.

The rest of the week I have been serving as hunting guide for my daughter while her husband (who didn't draw a license this year) stayed home and took care of my wife (THANKS Joey).

As stated we have been hunting this same group of deer all week in the afternoons. Seemed every day they'd give us the slip coming out way late and not getting into range until it was either after shooting hours or too dark for a comfortable shot. We had been sitting in a ground blind on a fence line between two pastures.

Then Saturday afternoon they changed their pattern and came out of the cat tails to feed way to the west of us on the other side of the pasture.

Yesterday afternoon I told my daughter we are going to give this stand one more try and if nothing works this afternoon then Monday we'd try to find a different location for a stand. Well yesterday afternoon they changed their pattern again only this time they emerged from the cat tails onto a different pasture to the east of us. To my amazement they fed right towards us.

The deer were about 200ish yards out. My daughter readied for the shot but should could not get steady. I whispered to her to take her time as the deer were feeding left to right along the edge of the cat tails and get the crosshairs steady. All of a sudden the deer changed directions and started straight north right towards us. They came about half way across the pasture and stopped.

I tried to get a range on the deer but for some reason I could not get a reading. As I put the range finder down I whispered to Nicole they are 100 to 150ish yards and to get steady and hold right one where she wanted the bullet.

I kept glancing back and forth between my daughter and the deer. As I glanced at my daughter then shifted my attention back to the deer the Remington Model 700 .30-06 Stainless Synthetic BDL roared. A miss. I quickly asked in a whisper which one she shot at and told her to reload. She replied the one that separated and went to the southwest. Again I whispered get the crosshairs steady and squeeze the trigger.

I have no sooner said that and the Remington .30-06 roared to life again. This time we heard the WHUMPH of the bullet finding it's mark. At the shot the deer started her death sprint and covered maybe 40 - 50 yards coming right towards us. I was about to tell my daughter to reload when the doe collapsed, stone dead.

Her second shot was right on the mark hitting the near side shoulder, taking out the heart and lungs and exiting behind the ribs on the off side. The 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip pushed with 59.0grs. H-4350 leaves the muzzle of this .30-06 at 2879 FPS and it indeed did it's job. The hole where the Ballistic Tip entered the rib cage after passing through the shoulder was about 2" in diameter shattering a rib before it took out the heart and lungs.

It appears to be a 1 1/2 year old doe. We are going to loose some meat on that shoulder but I am betting the rest is going to be mighty tasty. This is only the second deer my 28 year old daughter has ever shot. Now she can say she shot a deer with a rifle also as the first deer she shot was with a Super 14 .30-30 AI T/C Contender Handgun.

My daughter didn't get to hunt for many years as she lived in North Dakota and her and her husband didn't hunt there. This past fall they moved back to South Dakota to help me take care of my wife and fortunately she drew a license in South Dakota and I had the opportunity to hunt with my daughter once again.

Yes even though we are going through a tough time with my wife's condition my daughter and I were fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a memorable hunt together.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

Great hunt Larry! Congrats to your daughter.. Sounds like a premium deer load you made her too! Way to go!

Congrats to both you... Hope your wife's condition improves. It sounds like the two of you really enjoyed your week in the blind.

Thanks Larry for the story. I am so glad that your daughter was able to connect on the WT doe it will definitely be some fine table fare this winter.
Larry it is excellent that your daughter & her husband have come home to help you with the care of your lovely wife.
Larry I am placing your family on my prayer list.

Blessings,
Dan

Larry, congratulations and thanks for posting your hunting story. You should be proud of her, she did well!

Guy

Thanks guys, your kind words are much appreciated. My youngest daughter (now 28) came into the hunting and shooting thing slowly. But she has made me super proud and provided me with some excellent memories. She started out not really liking shooting a Rifle. One day we were at a friends farm and when I went to leave the farmer had filled the rear of my old Bronco with cantaloupe, gourds etc that had frozen and were not good anylonger. I had a Super 14 .223 T/C Contender with me so my youngest daughter and I stopped off at the local gravel pit on the way home. I set up a portable shooting bench and told Nicole there was 50 rounds of ammo. I went on to say here's the deal, you shoot until you miss and then it is my turn. Then if I miss it is your turn again. Needless the Contender and my daughter were in rare form that day and I only got to shoot one shot.

A couple years later we were in a ground blind in the Mud Lake Bottom not really intending on her shooting a Deer as I had been after a certain buck all season. At the time the only gun I had brought with us was a Super 14 .30-30 AI T/C Contender Handgun. Well a nice doe emerged from the cat tails and was grazing out about 200 yards. I asked Nicole if she wanted to try to take it with the handgun since we had not brought a rifle with us. She said it will kick too much. I said yes it kicks a bit but just hold onto it and it won't hurt you.

She couldn't locate the deer in the field of view of the 2x7x Burris LER Handgun Scope so I turned it down to 2x. When she found the deer I slowly turned the scope back up to 4x. I instructed her to let me know when she was ready and I would cock the hammer. I said this is just like shooting the Cantaloupe and Gourds with the .223 off of the bipod, just that this one is going to be louder and kick a little more. I cocked the hammer when she nodded that she was ready, she touched the trigger and the deer never moved. I quickly reloaded and told her see it doesn't kick that bad, now take you time and squeeze the trigger. I had no sooner said that and the Contender roared and the Doe dropped in her tracks.

Odd as it is most first time hunters would use a Rifle but Nicole did it backwards in this case and used a Rifle to take her second deer.

Larry

Congratulations to your daughter and to you. Her response to the first miss was a testament to the quality of training she has received; she didn't get rattled, but managed to exercise self-control and connect on the second shot. She did very well, indeed. I do pray God's grace for your wife; it is wonderful when our children live near enough to spend time with us. Congratulations all the way around.

Thanks DrMike. Yes I am very proud of her as she did a really good job. Last night after supper I made the statement that hunting and shooting a deer is a little different that sitting at the Indoor Range with her Bench Rest .22. She just started laughing and said "dad you said a mouth full there". She said she could just not get steady and her heart was racing. I told her that that was normal and the day I quit getting excited about hunting or shooting an animal that will be the day I quit hunting.

Larry

Larry in SD":289f1z8a said:
I told her that that was normal and the day I quit getting excited about hunting or shooting an animal that will be the day I quit hunting.

Larry

Well said, Larry; well said, indeed.

Congrats to both of you, pretty neat it all worked out for her.

DrMike":1xo44own said:
Congratulations to your daughter and to you. Her response to the first miss was a testament to the quality of training she has received; she didn't get rattled, but managed to exercise self-control and connect on the second shot. She did very well, indeed. I do pray God's grace for your wife; it is wonderful when our children live near enough to spend time with us. Congratulations all the way around.

Dr Mike said it well. I will add that some times a hunt is a blessing and a sauve for the heart. Prayers for you your wife and family. Where abouts were you hunting? CL

Back