finally took the plunge

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
i finally bought some decent optics. i had a simmons prairie master 6x24x50 on my 338 win. and its getting eaten alive. so i picked up a 6x18x40 leupold with turrets. i hope this holds up better.

This is exactly how I got started on Leupold. I was so disgusted with the Simmons I took the rifle to my local gun shop and said "make the SOB shoot straight." He turned to his wife and said "get the boy a good piece of glass, Ma."

Now eight years, a half-dozen scopes and pair of binoculars later, I am stuck. There may be better optics out there but I can't bring myself to betray Leupold.

You should be very happy going from Simmons to Leupold.
A rifle is only as good as the sights or optics on it.
A $1000 rifle with $100 optics = a $100 gun.

old #7":16rseg3c said:
You should be very happy going from Simmons to Leupold.
A rifle is only as good as the sights or optics on it.
A $1000 rifle with $100 optics = a $100 gun.

very wise!

It is pretty hard to fault Leupold's scopes, and you are not going to go wrong using them. Although I think the Pentax Lightseeker line may give more bang for your buck on the "looking" side, I haven't tested their repair logistics. I know Leupold's is great.

jim

You will be very happy with Leupold. :wink:

JD338

str8meat,

That scope is rather large for a 338. I have one on the Swift.

After owning many scopes for over half a century from Lymans, Hensoldt, and then ten Leupolds I have now stopped buying Leu. and the last seven have been Zeiss.

The Zeiss Conquest is a better scope than the Leupold VX3 or VX2.

In all honesty I ....and my 338 Loving buddies.......... never saw a reason for mounting anything over a 3x9 on a 338. Now , in all honesty if I were to carry a 338 WIN my choice would be a 2.5x8 Leupold. The best for that cartridge........in my opinion :wink:

I am replacing a Leupold Vari-XII 4X-12XAO with a Weaver Grand Slam 4.5X-14XAO this week. I know that Leupold has a cult following (American made, raise the flag :roll:), but I find Weaver optics clearer and the adjustments more accurate.

gonna use it for long range coyotes on windy days :grin: havent gotten to the range yet will let you know what happens

Mason....I like the old Weavers....I wouldn't hesitate to buy one...but Weaver has been bought and sold so many time, If I bought a Weaver today, I wouldn't really be sure what I was getting. I like some of Weaver's advertised features, such as first plane mildot reticle, but who's going to service it if it breaks? :? I don't have to worry about those issues if I buy Leupold. 8)

congrats on the upgrade. I love that 6-18 leupold w/turrets. I have 3 of them on my rifles that I use for LR shooting. I think they are the best scope for $500 for LR shooting. I haven't had but 1 problem with mine over the years and thats a lot of shooting and clicking. The problem was I had just wacked a yote at 600 yards, and saw one at about 100. I clicked down to 100y zero and shot, well to my disbelief I missed. Shot about 5ft over him, lol. Only thing I can guess is that the spring or whatever it is in there, didn't work correctly when I clicked down, but after the shot from the recoil, it got set back up in place. This is the ONLY problem I've had with the 3 of them I've owned and I've put A LOT of rounds with them on top of my rifles. I'm just glad that coyote wasn't a monster buck or elk, LOL.

Antelope_Sniper":3tfjg22s said:
Mason....I like the old Weavers....I wouldn't hesitate to buy one...but Weaver has been bought and sold so many time, If I bought a Weaver today, I wouldn't really be sure what I was getting. I like some of Weaver's advertised features, such as first plane mildot reticle, but who's going to service it if it breaks? :? I don't have to worry about those issues if I buy Leupold. 8)
You got a point there.

I actually sent the Leupold in for service. They replaced the erector mechanism and the main tube. I look forward to seeing if it solved the problem which it most likely did. Lifetime unconditional guarantee is something to consider.

I like that the new Weavers have totally independent elevation and windage adjustments. I think they may turn out to be less troublesome than sharing a spring or a screw or what not like most other scopes including Leupold.

Back