Finished my first OCW test today.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Finally shot some handloads through my new Howa 1500. All loads were with RL16 and 140 Sierra Gamekings seated .020" off the lands. Happy with the results and trying this OCW test for the first time. I'm still one full grain from Sierra listed max charge with this powder, but I may not even take it any higher. I would hunt with any of these groups from today. Gonna try some seating depth changes now.
90eae0617f65b134bc08c6819f44ceac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is a lot of nice groups to start to work with there . this should come around fast and easy .

Looks like a great rifle. Your results might be too close to call shooting 3-shot groups!

And finished it up with factory 120 amax and factory 140 ELDM
1f90cee8c58df58566efc85ebee089d2.jpg
9690dc4646518cd5b86100cda5d1570e.jpg

Thanks! Will be adjusting seating depth on a couple of those loads, and get some velocity data.

The point if impact moved the least between 41.8 and 42.1 grains. It went from 11 o'clock for #1, drastically down to 7 and 6 o'clock for #2 and #3. It then jumped back up to 10 o'clock for #4.

You also got nice triangle groups for both. It would be easier to see with 5 shot groups, but I like 42 grains. If it is for a cold weather winter gun, you want to be on the high side so the drop in temp doesn't bring pressures below what you are getting at the presumably warmer temps now.

I would load 42 grains, because it is in the middle of the best OCW node and try several seating depths. Then, if the something makes a change in pressure, lower pressure puts you in #2 area and higher pressure puts you into #3.

The way #5 dropped back down, I would be curious to see the next higher charge, if it wasnt over max. May be a second OCW node.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. #2 and #3 were definitely the most uniform groups. I'm still debating on working up to book max which is 43.8 grains. Can't really make my mind up honestly. But it's nice to know I can fall back to the 42 grain area and be ok. Seems like a lot of folks are finding a node between 42.8 - 43.5. If I do go that route I'll probably work up in . 2 grain increments. I actually loaded 4 rounds at 42 grains for initial sight in. 3 of the rounds were great with no vertical spread, just each one cutting the hole a little bigger in a perfect horizontal line. Was definitely in the 1/2" area until I squeezed the 4th shot off while I was still adjusting my rear bag and it was straight low, but still easily less than 3/4" group. So I believe you are right on about 42 being center of a node.

42 is a sweet spot.

Definitely load up to max, looks like a second node would be higher.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll probably give it a try. Be about two weeks before I can shoot again.

I would load 42 grains, because it is in the middle of the best OCW node and try several seating depths. Then, if the something makes a change in pressure, lower pressure puts you in #2 area and higher pressure puts you into #3.
This.

I'd also agree with the statement to go up above your top load a couple sets and see if there isn't something there. I'd think there is.
If not, play with seating around 42 and you'll be good.

I'm gonna load some up to about 43.5 and try in a couple weeks. Definitely gonna try some more at 42 with bullets seated at 30/40/50 thousands off the lands.

16 looks great in that cartridge. Working with it in my 6.5 Swede. Hope mine looks as good as yours.

They say it is very temp stable DrMike definitely worth a look.

SJB358":7kjjb30r said:
16 looks great in that cartridge. Working with it in my 6.5 Swede. Hope mine looks as good as yours.
I wish it was available when I had a Swede. It should really make some great velocity in the old warhorse Swede. I miss that cartridge I'm gonna have to find another one.

Tried some rounds today to finish out my OCW test with RL16. Loaded three rounds at 42 grains since that was the center of my lower node. I squeezed the first round off a bit early while I was making some fine tune adjustments to my rear bag and that went high. The next two went into the same hole. I should have started off with some factory loads to get myself in the zone lol. 43, 43.3, 43.5 all shot fairy decent with no pressure signs. I'm locking in 42 grains for my lower node, and I may not even try to develop the upper nodes anymore. Overall just was not on my game today. Even my groups with the 140 factory ELDM were not as good as they usually are.
c926c9d38c604af3ce6cd903101d28dc.jpg

Tried some rounds today to finish out my OCW test with RL16. Loaded three rounds at 42 grains since that was the center of my lower node. I squeezed the first round off a bit early while I was making some fine tune adjustments to my rear bag and that went high. The next two went into the same hole. I should have started off with some factory loads to get myself in the zone lol. 43, 43.3, 43.5 all shot fairy decent with no pressure signs. I'm locking in 42 grains for my lower node, and I may not even try to develop the upper nodes anymore. Overall just was not on my game today. Even my groups with the 140 factory ELDM were not as good as they usually are.
c926c9d38c604af3ce6cd903101d28dc.jpg

Back