Fire Forming

257 roberts

Beginner
Mar 23, 2007
Hi guys,

I just got a 257AI! Any advise on fire forming brass? This is my first time doing this, and I plan on using the directions given in the Nosler Reloading manual!

How were your results?
Are there any better methods?

If you're fireforming factory loaded 257 Bob, just load and shoot. For handloads, use starting load data and set your bullet jammed to the land.

Their are typically two camps to fireforming; bullets and inert material. They both have advantages and disadvantages. It will be up to you to decide which is best for you.

With the bullet method, you get shooting practice as the brass is formed. Some people actually hunt with their fireforming loads. The shoulders can be nicely formed if a sufficiently large powder charge is used. Some people count their barrel's life on the number of rounds fired. For them, this method shortens that life. Their is the cost of bullets and powder.....?

The inert method uses a filler such as Cream of Wheat, Grits, etc. It's simple; use any primer, typically left over ones. I use pistol primers for my 30-06 Ackley Imp. Use an appropriate charge of Bullseye; I use 12 grs. Then take 1/4 sheet of toilet paper and tamp it down over the Bullseye. Fill the case with COW to about 1/2 way up the neck. Then another 1/4 sheet of tp to keep the COW from draining out. Depending upon your urban or suburban living arrangements, and the wife's tolerance, you can shoot these in the basement, back yard or........? The shoulders may or may not completly form depending upon the "appropriate charge" of Bullseye. Some people say it's like shooting a grinding compound down their barrel. It's cheap!

Bullets or grinding compound!?....cheap or expensive.....that's what you get with an Ackley Imp. :roll:

Mine shoots 180 BT/AB at 3050 fps to 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out to 600 yds.

The COW method, throw them in and fire, seat the bullets into the lands and fire and form a false shoulder load and fire. All the methods will work. Some loaders like to have hundreds of cases per rifle, that is fine for a varmint rifle but for a hunting rifle I never have over 20-30 loaded rounds. I can make more anytime I want them. Firing fifty rounds to form cases isn't going to decrease the life of a barrel enough for me to be concerned. During fireforming, I get the scope centered up, learn about that particular trigger, get a better feel for the rifle itself. COW doesn't give me any of those things. If the components for the first fifty is going to break the bank, I need a new hobby.Rick.

To FF cases for my 280AI, I loaded up 280 Rem virgin brass with a max load of RL19 and the 140 gr BT. No need to put the bullet into the lands if it correctly chambered for the AI. The case will headspace off the neck shoulder portion of the case.

JD338

Thanks for the advise guys!!! I plan on just seating the bullets well into the lands and going that route! I have some 100grain Speer HP that have just been sitting around for years! With the blunt ogive; I don't think i'll have a problem with making good contact!!!

I feel the same way you do Rick when it comes to the number of shell for a hunting rifle!!! I use 30 cases; 20 to sight my rifle in and take hunting, and i have 10 I use for developing new loads!!!

I plan on fire forming 35 cases! 20 to hunt with, 10 for developing loads, and 5 for OAL's for different bullets!!! All brass from the same lot #, natuarally!!!

Thanks again guys!

Back