First elk!!

Scott Spencer

Handloader
Mar 27, 2008
I was fortunate to harvest my first ever elk this past Monday while hunting with Atkinson Expeditions in Colorado. I took him with my Win Mod 70 Featherweight 30-06 using a 180 gr Nosler AccuBond handload. Thank you, Nosler!!

ScottColorado2008107.jpg

Colorado2008small105.jpg

Congratulations! Awesome animal! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats!
I got my first one with a muzzle loader this year.In Colorado as well with Winterhawk.
Wasn't that big though!

Scott Spencer

Congratulations on a very nice bull elk. Nice pictures too.

JD338

That is almost like starting as CEO of the company .... with a BIG & BEAUTIFUL bull for the very FIRST one. Good job.

A classic bull with a classic rifle! Outstanding! Great job! That is a beautiful bull!

I've always heard good things about Atkinson as an outfitter/guide. Looks like they did well by you.

Congratulations! Guy

Scott Spencer

Again, great bull!
Can you share details on the shot distance and bullet performance? Did you recover the bullet or did it exit?
Thanks for your feedback, inquiring minds want to know. :lol:

JD338

JD,

The shot was a chip shot...117 yds. The elk had moved up a mountain/hill about 1500 ft above the alfalfa fields they were feeding in during the night. It took us about an hour to climb it due to the steepness and my legs just simply burning out on me at times.

The first shot actually killed him as I took out a chunk of his left lung and a small part of the heart. Hindsight being what it is, the 2nd shot was probably unnecessary but it was better to be safe than sorry.

I did recover the first bullet in the opposite shoulder. I have not photographed it or weighed it but it may have about 60-70% weight retention...maybe a little more. Great mushroom with jagged edges. The load was 180 gr AB, 63 gr of RL22, CCI200 primer, Rem brass, and 3.35" OAL.

This is the first animal I have killed with my rifle and I could not be prouder. Especially being a flatlander that has never hunted out west and having never shot anything this big in my life!

[/img]

Scott Spencer

Thanks for the details of the hunt and the load.
If you can, post a picture of your recovered AccuBond.

JD338

Scott,
Awesome bull!
Good to know the AccuBond performed well. I've been thinking about making the AccuBond my go to bullet for my .270 win. that I have in the same rifle as your 06.
Congratulations.

Hmmm, and some would say the 06 is out of style, too small and too slow........Guess you just confused the issue. :roll:

Very nice Spence. congrats.

Long

Congrats on that bull. It looks like you had a great time. We are going after a couple of bulls in Nov. One hunter will be using a 30-06 with 180 partitions and the other a 300 WSM with 180 Accubonds. It is good to hear of your success with that load. Thanks for the confidence.

Back