first handload kill

irocbarry

Beginner
Sep 5, 2006
got my first kill with the 180 AB out of the 300winmag for my handloads.

Grouse at 15ft, took the head clean off. :twisted:

I'll have pics as soon as i shoot a deer to use the rest of the camera up.

Good shooting on such a small target!

JD338

Funny, but after all these years I can still remember my first "handload" kill. I have since lost the treasured empty case but my memory still serves me well.

My kill:

Large Russian Boar taken in Clarksrange Tenn.
44 mag - 265gr Hornady RN
S&W model 29 w/ open sights

I have never bought a single round of centerfire ammo since that day. :lol:

I killed a Big Fallow deer with my first hand load.

270. win 130 hornady sst with 40-some grain of h380.

The bullet had to much velocity and shelled out but it dropped the deer and I found the jacket.

irocbarry":1iwxiwgk said:

Did the bullet stay together? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually did the same thing with a 140 AB and a Kimber 270 WSM. Back in 2004.

Sure fouled up the head mount on that one didn't ya ! I take it, it wasn't largenough to make book?

Not quite sure about bullet performance, wound channel was very short and massive.

Hopefully within the next two weeks I'll have mulie pictures for ya all too. I almost stepped on a big 3x3 when I was out yesterday. :roll:

irocbarry":31e55ict said:
Not quite sure about bullet performance, wound channel was very short and massive.
I think you better go for 200 gr AB on the next Grouse just to make sure :roll: :wink:

First handload kill was with an old 03 Springfield, scoped with a 2 1/2 power Lyman. The game was a 3x3 mule-deer from CO, shot at about 10 yards, with the 150 gr. Sierra hitting him at the base of the right horn, hummm.

That was some 57 years ago. My, how time flys :lol: when you're havin' fun.

My first handload kill was this year. Browning BLR .358 Winchester, 200gr Hornady PSP, 6pt whitetail 15.5" inside 17.5" outside spread, texas heart shot around 70yds.

Got my first Nosler kill today. We were hog hunting when my friend and i decided to try some predator calling, I gave him the bottom to watch and I dropped off the side of the hill to watch the backdoor. My butt had been on the ground for 2 minutes when a 15-18lb female bobcat popped up 25yds infront of me looking for the dying rabbit. While a 30/06 + 180gr Partition@2790 is a bit much for cats it was very effective. The shot was right behind the shoulders at 25-27yds, exit hole was half dollar sized, I figured it would pencil in and out with no expansion, guess not. Gonna make a European skull mount as she had a huge head.

irocbarry":2h044cnf said:

feels good don't it?

There's something about the personal creation of something from start to finish all by your own effort and skill that makes a trophy out the first success. If you mounted your own scope and or modified your rifle and or loaded your own ammuntion then made the successfull stalk and shot, it just feels like you've fulfilled the whole process and now the success is rightfully of your own doing. Congratulations!!! :grin: Keep em comming!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

My first handload kill was a mule deer in Idaho in '69: a 160 gr Nosler Partition (old style screw turned, but it wasn't old then) in my 7mm Rem Mag...jim

Jim, you just dated yourself & me knowing that dated myself. :eek:

My first handload kill was a Whitetail Buck with a 7mm Mag, using the 160gr. Sie. BT. Soory guys, I was not converted yet.

First handload kill was a 200lb florida pig with a 35rem pushing the 200gr corelokt RN at 2188fps. Bang dropped right there never moved a step duoble lung /heart 100% passthrought.
Last handload kill 200gr spire point interlock at 2490fps from a 358win, one #150 7 point white tail deer ran 15 yards stopped and droped. Lung / liver shot bullet did not exit.

Here is my first handload kill

Here is the 378 BEE Kill. Japanese Lazermark!

13 Oct 1995 Battle Mountain Wyoming.

Load 270 Hornady 118 gr MRP. Muzzle velocity is 3170 fps. Bull elk at looong (and Undisclosed) range. Bang Flop!

scan0031.jpg

Sunrise on the same day.

scan0022.jpg

Here is my first Nosler kill. Antelope was taken at 200 yds near Newcastle, WY on 10/1/1982. Rifle is a Remington 700 BDL in
30-06 with a Nosler 150 gr PT. Leupold VXII 3x9.
JDAntelope1982.jpg

JD338

Back