First high powered rifle for my son...

Sounds like a good setup!

I like the VX2 a lot. I also like the FX2 4x33. Not a single bad thing about that scope either.

I went today to get all the reloading stuff for the 7-08 but it didn't pan out...Cabelas didn't have 120 BT's in stock, the only 120's they had were Barnes and I didn't want those.

They also didn't have Varget, which didn't surprise me...I grabbed a set of RCBS dies, a box of Nosler brass, and a 50 round ammo box for it...then changed gears, put the dies back, and grabbed him 4 boxes of Hornady reduced recoil ammo loaded with 120 grain SST's at 2,675 fps.

I kept the brass and ammo box...I'll order some bullets for it later, I have H4895 for reduced loads...the Hornady ammo will give him something to hunt with until I can get a load worked out, and I won't have to be in a rush.

That'll work. I think it'll swat deer just fine. Put one of the SSTs in the jugs for us when you get it unwrapped!

Sounds like an awesome deal!

Look Dad, that rifle is for your son....so don't go a trying to sneak it out, for your own hunt, after he starts showing the ol' man up !

In my Ruger 77, Varget did best with 140's, but RL-15 beat it with the 120's. Every rifle has it's own tastes though.

I also have a RA, in 308 though. I was quite suprised to find that it didn't recoil as hard as the other 308's I've shot, even with a good solid 180gr load. The recoil pad does a d@mn good job and I think the stock design helps as well.

Don't forget follow-up posts, to let us see how it all pans out.

Got it all together tonight...

I'll probably jug test the Hornady reduced recoil 120 grain SST ammo Monday.

I should imagine that any young feller would be proud of such a setup, and the more so when it was a gift from his dad. Looks good!

Federal Fusion 120 grain factory ammo chrono speed....2,871 fps.

Hornady 120 grain SST reduced recoil factory ammo chrono speed....2,475 fps.

I couldn't tell much difference in the recoil...

Great choice he'll love it, 7mm-08 is my go to recommendation for a 1st/ woman's /son or daughters gun. That caliber kills way better that it should and can be used on anything in the lower 48 and probably most anything else too. My friends wife has one and shes a killing machine with it , whitetail , Mule deer and a few black bear . Now she wants to try moose and I have know doubt it will do just fine.

khh":2zbf0esz said:
Great choice he'll love it, 7mm-08 is my go to recommendation for a gun. That caliber kills way better that it should and can be used on anything in the lower 48 and probably most anything else too....

Here, fixed it for ya! :grin:

I've become a huge fan on the 7-08...just bought my son his second one. He's big enough to handle about anything he wants, but wanted another 7-08 when all was said and done. If I'd have found the 7-08 first, I'd have never had a .308, .270 or a .30-06.

Great cartridge, to be certain. Don't know that it is better than a .280 or a 7X57, but it does hold its own with them. It is one 7mm I don't own, though I've worked up loads for quite a few. I may yet have to rectify this situation.

As mentioned, you picked a great wonderful and the -08 is a favorite of mine. Those 120 gr. BT are deadly accurate!

I think I'm gonna aim for 2,700 fps with a 120 grain Ballistic Tip... That should be easy enough to do with H4895.

That's not exactly a reduced load... But, by the numbers, it should recoil like his .410 shotgun.... Which he shoots just fine even though it has no recoil pad.

I will likely load a few truly reduced loads just for starters.... Confidence builders, if you will... Down around 2,400 fps.

Sounds like a good plan RR. I did the same thing with a 308 I picked up and 125 gr loads. Those reduced light bullet loads are fun to shoot.

Heck even at 2400 they still have enough steam for a few 100 yards for deer killing. Should be a sweet combo for your son. Can't wait to see him lay it over some deer.

Congrats! Rifle looks great. Nice combo Ruger
Really out did themselves on the clip in the American, its
Vastly Superior to clip thats in my Steyr Mannlicher Professional at 4x the money!
Unbeatable caliber, and superb value in that new Leupold VX-2s. They tested for us ,same as the older VX III's.in low light conditions.
You did a great job picking up the perfect gun.
Hope it last em a lifetime , and always have the fond
Memory that "Dad" got it for me.............

He appears to have the basics down. Good teacher, without a doubt.

Yeah, I thought he done good for his first time shooting a high powered rifle at a target...

The only thing I see that jumps out at me is follow through... He's raising his head too soon after the shot.

I was critiquing him on that as the day went on... He's getting better.

Back