First Pheasants

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today I took a young man on his first bird hunt. His dad is an old law-enforcement friend of mine and can't walk real well right now, so I took him.

Maverick pointed five pheasants, sadly I missed one and the young fellow couldn't shoot because I was in the way. So, we got four. Maverick performed four excellent retrieves! We'd worked on that a bit over the summer.

The young fellow was very safe with his gun handling, and it turns out - he's a natural wing shot! I backed him on a couple of birds that looked like they might get away, but he started getting the hang of it quickly and making hits. Then he clobbered one all on his own. (y)

It was a great morning. Snowed a little earlier, but the sun got rid of it before we started hunting.

29rpYBHh.jpg

That is a great post. Sounds as if you've managed to hook another young man on the shooting sports. Great job. And if does appear that Maverick is doing his part to ensure that you are able to bring pheasants home on a regular basis.

DrMike":1n60mo0p said:
That is a great post. Sounds as if you've managed to hook another young man on the shooting sports. Great job. And if does appear that Maverick is doing his part to ensure that you are able to bring pheasants home on a regular basis.

My goal is to happily shift back to upland bird hunting. A week of deer hunting here in Washington. And get strongly back to fly fishing.

An occasional elk or black bear hunt would be just fine too.

It's time in my life to stop chasing rainbows. I may take in another Wyoming hunt or two for mule deer & antelope. Or maybe not. Who knows? :) But ya, I'm steadying down to bird hunting, fly fishing and a little "big game" hunting here in state.

If I can bring along a few new hunters? Well that's just great. :)

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":398e111d said:
DrMike":398e111d said:

My goal is to happily shift back to upland bird hunting. A week of deer hunting here in Washington. And get strongly back to fly fishing.

An occasional elk or black bear hunt would be just fine too.

It's time in my life to stop chasing rainbows. I may take in another Wyoming hunt or two for mule deer & antelope. Or maybe not. Who knows? :) But ya, I'm steadying down to bird hunting, fly fishing and a little "big game" hunting here in state.

If I can bring along a few new hunters? Well that's just great. :)

Regards, Guy

I am humbled by the examples of sportsmanship and mentoring that are related here. Thanks to Nosler for the opportunuity! Uncle Don would be proud! Thanks to all. CL

Back