First time in over 40 years.

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
Yesterday I decided to load some rounds for my 30x47. The case is made by running a 300 Savage case into a die that pushes the shoulder back about ten thousands of an inch but leaves it the same over all length. I got the rifle CHEAP from an estate sale about 20 years ago. The fellow had died and had been a bench rest shooter and was a rifle crank. He liked to build rifles on oddball (to me) actions. This rifle is built on a tang safety Ruger 77. It is in the original wood stock glassed in. From the paperwork I found that came with it the barrel was the original Ruger bull barrel that had been a 220 Swift that had been sent to someone and they had re-bored and rifled with cut rifling and chambered for the 30x47 and ended up with a 24" barrel. The trigger on the rifle is a Canjar. From the paper work the fellow was going to use it to shoot cast bullets in hunter bench rest matches. He had just started working up his loads when he dies. This rifle will shoot bug holes with most anything you put into it.

I was going to load up some 155 gr Berger VLD (hunting) bullets. I already had some loaded and I just picked one out of the box to use to set my seating die to match the previous rounds. I have to use a 308 Win seating die. When I picked the round out of the box by grasping the bullet the bullet moved in the case. I could pull it out and stick it back in. I thought "somehow I had not sized the case because I do have a hand operated depriming homemade die that came with the rifle". I dumped the powder out in the scale pan and it was right on the money. I then full length sized the case in my sizing die. I reprimed and powdered and seated the bullet and it still could be removed easily by pulling on it. I checked every one of the other rounds and all were fine with no bullet movement. Was scratching my head on this one until I dumped the powder out of the case because it is a case full and tried to see if the bullet would push deeper into the case. BINGO found the problem. DOUGHNUT. Right at the neck and shoulder junction the neck was thicker than the rest of the neck and was not allowing the upper part of the neck to be sized properly and the seating depth of the bullet just happened to fall where the full diameter of the bullet was just above the doughnut. I have fooled with wildcats for over 30 years and this is the first time I have ever experienced the doughnut.

1Shot":3muedx27 said:
Yesterday I decided to load some rounds for my 30x47. The case is made by running a 300 Savage case into a die that pushes the shoulder back about ten thousands of an inch but leaves it the same over all length. I got the rifle CHEAP from an estate sale about 20 years ago. The fellow had died and had been a bench rest shooter and was a rifle crank. He liked to build rifles on oddball (to me) actions. This rifle is built on a tang safety Ruger 77. It is in the original wood stock glassed in. From the paperwork I found that came with it the barrel was the original Ruger bull barrel that had been a 220 Swift that had been sent to someone and they had re-bored and rifled with cut rifling and chambered for the 30x47 and ended up with a 24" barrel. The trigger on the rifle is a Canjar. From the paper work the fellow was going to use it to shoot cast bullets in hunter bench rest matches. He had just started working up his loads when he dies. This rifle will shoot bug holes with most anything you put into it.

I was going to load up some 155 gr Berger VLD (hunting) bullets. I already had some loaded and I just picked one out of the box to use to set my seating die to match the previous rounds. I have to use a 308 Win seating die. When I picked the round out of the box by grasping the bullet the bullet moved in the case. I could pull it out and stick it back in. I thought "somehow I had not sized the case because I do have a hand operated depriming homemade die that came with the rifle". I dumped the powder out in the scale pan and it was right on the money. I then full length sized the case in my sizing die. I reprimed and powdered and seated the bullet and it still could be removed easily by pulling on it. I checked every one of the other rounds and all were fine with no bullet movement. Was scratching my head on this one until I dumped the powder out of the case because it is a case full and tried to see if the bullet would push deeper into the case. BINGO found the problem. DOUGHNUT. Right at the neck and shoulder junction the neck was thicker than the rest of the neck and was not allowing the upper part of the neck to be sized properly and the seating depth of the bullet just happened to fall where the full diameter of the bullet was just above the doughnut. I have fooled with wildcats for over 30 years and this is the first time I have ever experienced the doughnut.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11614

If you click on above under 22-250 seater is seater for 30x47. I have neck die and sizer for 30x47

After first firing I ran inside neck reamer. I shot HBR match with 30x47 and the 30x44.

https://bibullets.com/ You should call owner of BIB and Randy should have more loading data for 30x47. I shot his bullets and most back then used his bullets.

This rifle has a 1/12 twist instead of the slower twist for the light bullets many used. I guess it was for the longer heavier cast bullets that the fellow planed to shoot in it. I have shot 125 gr through 168 gr and it is a bug hole shooter. I have mainly used it for deer hunting. Mainly I have used the 125 Nosler BT, 150 Sierra GK or PH and the 155 Berger VLD. For long range, 300 to 600 yards, the 155 Berger VLD shoots MUCH flatter than the others.

There were some of those targets in the paper work I got with the rifle. The bigger 30 Cal hole would probably give you a little edge with touching a line of not. There was information in a few Bench Rest magazines that was in the paper work about this discipline. For testing his loads I guess, the rifle had a Lyman 12 power target scope mounted on the rifle. This fellow documented EVERYTHING he did. There were some other rifles and T/C Contender pistols and barrels, furniture etc. and a HUGE amount of loading bullets and gun related stuff. Some of my friends and I bought up all of it. I also got a Contender pistol with 3 barrels. We got the rifles pretty cheap for what they were because most were wildcats. You had to be a hand loader and know what you are doing to shoot these weapons. Only standard caliber was one 308 Win. and three bench rest rifles in 6 ppc. Two of them were old school sleeved Rem 700 actions and one was a modern up to date action but I can't remember who made it. All of them had Heart barrels. Every rifle this fellow had was a tack driver but was put in strange actions for what most would do. Rem 788, Ruger #1, Ruger 77 and one super accurate Win 70 in 308 Win with a 26" Heart barrel with a heavy bench rest style wooden stock with a Lyman 24 power scope I think mounted on it. There were some targets shot at 1000 yards that were unbelievable. These rifle were built in the 1980's early 90's and he died I think around 1995. His widow sat on his stuff until 2005 when she was found out she had terminal cancer and decided she needed to liquidate for needed cash.

Back