Fixed power scope

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
Looking for a scope for sako 85 finnlight in 6.5x55. My original thought was to move my z3 3-10x42 from my 7 mag and upgrade that one to a z3 4-12.

However been giving some thought to adding a real high quality 6x to the 6.5 like a Schmidt and bender? However it seems a little heavier than the z3 about 6 oz but would it be better?? Any other fixed I should consider in that class? Or do you think variable is the way to go.

I like the simplicity and toughness of the Leupold fixed power scopes over a variable, have a 6x36 and 8x40 AO myself. A Leupold 6x42 would be one I would look at too, not sure about any others.

I like it! I have two 4x Leupolds and would love one of the Meopta 6X's for another flat shooter. I'm a fan of the straight fixed scopes. Might grab another soon. With good adjustments I don't mind a bit.

I have 2, 6x42 FX III's Leupolds that work for me but if you were up grading do the Z5 3.5-18x44 with the BT as it would be less than the S&B probably! My 270 Lazermark has that scope on it and it is really sweet :)

Idahotrophyhunter":27j5hhh9 said:
S&B 6X42 optics are in a league leupold can't match

True but a Swarovski is a good scope in its own right and is pretty close to a S&B.

Actually the S&B is about $1,250 and the Z5 3-18 is about $1,450.

I agree the swarovski is amazing and my Z3 is easily the best scope I have owned and super light at 12 oz.

I have always wanted a S&B and was shocked when I saw the price on the fixed 6x it was something I could afford. Only downside is the z5 and the S&B are about the same weight. I bet a fixed S&B would be damn near unbreakable even if it is heavy.

Plus, if you want a fixed power scope from the Master Race, S&B is about the only one anymore.

SJB358":35etrt7z said:
Oldtrader3":35etrt7z said:
Plus, if you want a fixed power scope from the Master Race, S&B is about the only one anymore.

Good point Charlie, but I would bet the Meopta is a nice scope as well. I see the S&B's used for around 700-800 sometimes as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/979945 ... icle-matte

I would be alright with that scope sitting atop a 25-06 or similar rifle..

Yeah, the Master Race didn't hesitate to utilize the skills of the Czech's when their own industries were stretched. The Meopta is still a bargain. However, the price is almost certain to go up significantly as people discover how good the glass really is.

Your right about that Mike. I like that Meopta. Useful reticle and I'm sure the glass is more than serviceable. Never owned one but I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Take a look at the Leupold FX II 6x42mm. It is one bright scope.

JD338

I think I am leaning toward leupold vx3 2.5x8 if I don't like it could go straight to my 45-70 guide gun.

Still in the running is
Leupold fxiii 6x if I could find one to look at it.

Dark horse is z3 3x9 just because my other z3 is just rediculous.

Meopta uses Schott glass made by Zeiss in the Czech Republic. I have always hear that Meopta had superior optics. I am sure that their fixed power scopes are great glass!

Back