Fliers with 2 different rifles

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
sounds like me, doesn't it? I really don't think so, eyes open, "called the shot" so-to-speak, felt good, etc. The first rifle is a Howa 1500 that has been bedded and freefloated, lugs lapped, and bolt-face squared. This is an extremely accurate rifle if I do my part. This group is the second one of the day with this rifle. I'm trying some AB's in it I bought from an ammo shop (I don't know powder brand, powder charge or primer)close to home. The one thing that stands out to me is the flyer is 70 fps slower than the avg velocity of 2875fps. I'm shooting 140gr AB's in a .270 win.
The second rifle is a Steyr Prohunter 7mm-08. First three shots are well within an inch and the fourth way off. Factory ammo, floated barrel, pretty much factory rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions? The one on the top is the Howa and the bottom one is the Steyr
Howa270.jpg
Steyr7mm-08.jpg

I suppose it could be several things and I am sure others will chime in. But with my rifles, that I know are accurate, and loads that I know are good in those rifles, the problem is one of 2 things for me.

1. I am not really concentrating thru the shot.

2. My rifle is not coming straight back on recoil. This happens when I am using a shoulder pad and the rifle butt is not square in my shoulder but is sliding even a little bit to the side on recoil.

Long

Almost too many possibilities to list. Flyers like this are the main reason that we handload, to control all the variables we can. Some of the possibilities are inconsistancies and variations in:

Powder charge
Bullet grip
Seating depth
Headspace
Runout
Powder lot
Crimp
Neck thickness
Bullet bearing surface
Case weight and capacity
Flash hole burrs
etc. (I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now)

Not to say you can't get flyers if you handload also, but they will be fewer and fewer as you address each of these problems.

Back