? for the brake guys

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
I'm thinking about putting a brake on my 300 Rum for the sole purpose of being able to see impacts at long range. I do not want to have it on all the time for hunting, just put it on when needed. So my question is on ave how much shift in POI do you see between a brake being on vs being off the rifle?

Enough to cause you to miss stuff at longer ranges but usually less than 1" at 100yds.

That would be OK I would have it off only in placed where tight close shooting could happen.

For what it's worth I put a brake one rifle and had a huge POI, over 8" at 100 yards. Not sure what the issue was but it convinced me to keep the darn thing on. The brake acts like a weight at the end of a long barrel so it will change things.

The heavier and longer the brake the more it will effect things. I've never seen one change POI 8" but I have seen 3-4" before. That to me sounds like a installation issue or a really heavy brake on a thin barrel.

IdahoCTD":3rp1jtic said:
The heavier and longer the brake the more it will effect things. I've never seen one change POI 8" but I have seen 3-4" before. That to me sounds like a installation issue or a really heavy brake on a thin barrel.

I think you are right. Vias brake on a .340 wby; 26" barrel # 3.

I believe it was an installation issue. After that I took it to a better gun smith and had it checked. Found out that it was not totally concentric. Since having it corrected I've not messed with it. My thinking is that rifle is loud enough that hearing protection should be worn brake or no brake so the brake stays on. And speaking of hearing loss, now days I hunt with ear muffs on my head at the ready and have my two boys do the same.

Back