Frustration!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well doggone it.

A buddy, whom I introduced to hunting last year, came over tonight with his brand spanking new Rem 700 in .270 Win, a DNZ scope mount, and a 3-9x Leupold scope. Wanted me to put it all together for deer season, which starts Saturday. Nothing like waiting until the last minute...

So... No problem right? I've mounted scopes on a couple of dozen Remington 700's, and never had a problem.

Wrong. DNZ packaged the scope mount missing one screw for the ring. Dad gum it! Searched through my pile of scope rings, mounts and parts and haven't got anything that fits. Only have one long-action Remington around here anymore, my .25-06, which I'm planning on hunting with come Saturday. Not real interested in taking the scope mounts from it.

Tomorrow he's got to locate either:

A fourth screw for the DNZ ring, or a different mount & ring setup.

Two days before mule deer season opens... Fortunately he's using a popular rifle, and it should be easy to come up with a different scope mount if the appropriate screw can't be found.

Sheesh... Then there's the whole issue of sighting it in... Grrrrr. Asked him about all this in May or June, and here we are... Sigh... He might hunt with my old .30-06 again, just like he did last year.

Guy

Ouch! That sort of puts the monkey on your back. I do believe I'd offer him the 30-06 and let the pressure slide past. That'll give him lots of time to get the 270 ready for next year.

You know what would chap my hide about that? Somehow his lack of planning has become your problem.

Guy

I have been in that same scenario many times, even putting my stuff aside to help.
Now when the last minute hunters ask for my help, I make it very clear to them that I will try to help but I don't have the time.
Their last minute planning isn't my problem anymore and I have less stress. :mrgreen:

I hope your friend fairs well and doesn't wound any game.

JD338

I feel your pain . the 308 reduced recoil loads I was talking about in the reloading section 6 or 8 weeks ago , it has now become my last minute problem . I bought dies and bullets last night . I'm supposed to get the rifle and brass by Saturday . she can hunt doe next week Thursday , Friday , Saturday . since her Dad has tried everything he could , he finally asked for help . from what I've heard , I'm surprised she even still wants to shoot a gun . Jim

Well today we managed to make a little time and got things pretty well squared away. Whew!

He went to the shop and got another screw. Brought the whole thing out to me at the range. I installed the scope, snugged everything up and we proceeded to sight it in 2" high at 100 yards. He ran through his entire box of Remington 130 grain ammo, mostly shooting two-shot "groups" and I've got to admit - the doggone rifle is shooting well. So is he.

We used a crude bench. He steadied the rifle on my old leather "bunny ear" bag atop a cinder block. Had several two-shot "groups" under a half inch! That pleased me, and he learned that that sort of consistency is good stuff.

He's going back to get a sling for the rifle, a cleaning rod, and another box of Remington factory ammo. Thought I was joking when I told him that if it keeps shooting that well, that he should just buy 1,000 rounds... :mrgreen:

I did convince him to save his empty brass cases, and told him if he bought .270 dies & components, he could learn to hand load in my shop.

Because we were able to take a little time out from our schedules today, he's at least marginally good to go. He's trying - just doesn't understand. Last year was the first year the 40+ year old had ever hunted, when he went out with me for a couple of days carrying one of my old rifles.

I'd love to see him get a buck when he hunts with me weekend after next.

Oh, that bottom-of-the-line 3-9x Leupold with friction adjustments is really quite a scope. I was impressed with the clarity. It's sure better than my 1974 vintage 3-9x Leupold!

Guy

Guy,

Glad to hear he is on track. Best of luck to the both of you.

JD338

Guy its good to have good friends like you. He I'm sure appreciates it. Sounds like he did not realize the issue with waiting to the last minute with hunting rifles. Glad it worked out okay.

Corey

I have had friends like that. Either it is a new gun or scope or what to load some new bullet/powder at the 11th hour. When I was usually very busy. Not as much now since I am retired. I had one buddy that was great for this and it drove me nuts at times. He passed away a few years back and I would sure like to have that trouble with him again----and the enjoyment of hunting together again. It is funny that it bugs you so when it happens but years later you look back at it and laugh.

Well said, Drivenhunter. Too often we value our partners after they are no longer with us.

It's funny - but I feel a little bit bad that I haven't been able to get him on a buck. I think he's put in a total of five days of hunting over the past two years - but still - I would have liked to put him on a legal buck in that time.

Didn't haul him along on the whitetail hunt last weekend. That was a father-son hunt pure and simple. He understood.

Good guy, and I'll see what I can do to improve his odds of taking a buck. He'd be a good guy to have solidly in the pro-hunting camp. He is interested in going with me for coyotes this winter - so that should be some fun. Am thinking his .270 is NOT going to be fur-friendly... :grin:

Join the club.

Sincerely,
Your designated hunting party handloader.

Guy

You're a good freind and hunting partner to have that's for sure!

I'm glad to read you guys were able to get out, but I have to say that I am never quite comfortable being with a hunting parter who just got his new rifle the day before and out he is with the group. I'm also a believer of barrel break-in; did he get the opportunity to do that before heading out?

From what you said he seems to be a good shot, which is good, but I always like to know that the guys(s) and gal(s) i'm hunting with have put a good amount of pratice with their rifle all year long if possible. Each rifle is different and have their own personality!

My humble 2cents worth :mrgreen:

Cheers
Ben

Yup, feel your pain on the subject. I also have opened ring-boxes to find no screws, but not very often.

I've even had others bring their rifle over after they have "cleaned" it and ask me to get the trigger BACK IN it! He remembered dropping something during the removal of the trigger, he didn't know what it was though. It was a spring from a Remingtin 700 trigger. Sorry, but he left mad 'cause I didn't solve his problem :roll: :roll: .

Some guys,

Jim

Back