Geez drinking and loving the Hornady one shot lube Koolaid..

kraky1

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Been a little bored this summer taking care of a sick family member so thought I'd do a little processing of some used brass I'd picked up at another forum.

First off....I never thought I'd do it...or admit to doing it.....running anything but spotlessly clean brass through my dies. The brass I got has been from a reputable source and whatever powder they use does not leave alot of carbon around the neck area like some ball powders can do. They have been remarkably clean.
I had read about one shot....maybe even tried it a while back....maybe without good results. Started by processing about 300-400 3030 brass and then on to quite a bit of 308 and now some 270. Dang...spray it on and get it in the case mouths. Let it dry....or sometimes not real dry...and commence resizing. Gotta say its just a little less slick than rcbs but I'm more than happy with how it works.
After its done its off to my cheapo harbor frt sonic cleaner.
NOW>>>gotta put a plug in for whats working here. I was not at all impressed with this cleaner the first times I used it. I got some hornady sonic cleaner solution and am BOOSTING it with lemishine powdered dishwasher soap. I'm using less sonic solution and by boosting it with the lemishine I gotta say this thing is melting carbon out of the shells really quick. They used to be dirty after 6 cleaning cycles in the old days. They are pretty much ready to go after 3-4 6 minute cycles now.
I just plain doesn't get easier than this. NO lubing necks....no cleaning lube or wiping down cases....no primer pocket cleaning...no dust when dumping media. I was really thinking about a stainless steal pin cleaning set up but not any more. I think I've found heaven in reloading.
Oh ya....the one shot cost $8.99. I've done 600 cases to date and thing I'll probably make 800 total or more on the can so thats about a penney ea.

The secret to OneShot is to let it dry completely. I ran it wet thinking that just had to be better....oops! At least that little experience got me a Forster stuck case remover.... ;)

tddeangelo":1f3kjlsk said:
The secret to OneShot is to let it dry completely. I ran it wet thinking that just had to be better....oops! At least that little experience got me a Forster stuck case remover.... ;)

Been there and done that also. :oops:

I have used One Shot spray lube for years. It is my favorite case lube.

tddeangelo":2z5pfz4s said:
The secret to OneShot is to let it dry completely.

DOE!!

<forehead slap>

I think I'll buy another can and try it again... :oops:

I'm not sure it "completely" dries. I even hit some w/a hair drier and rolled one around in my finger tips and they seemed shiney. Not sure what it was on them but....I have to say....those that were drier than the ones before went through real ez. Just picked up another can of the stuff but I'm now at 700 shells and still some left in the first can. Dang I'm liking this stuff!

Been drinking this Kool-Aid for a long time. I use a plastic bin about the size of a shoe box. Dump the brass, spray then tilt bin one way, spray then tilt back the otherway making sure to get the necks. Then shake bin back and forth to coat all cases and let dry. They resize well and I also use graphite on the about every fourth or fifth case neck. When they're all done I drop them in the sonic cleaner and they come out clean including the primer pockets. If I really want them pretty I'll polish them. If the cases are really dirty I'll use the sonic cleaner before I resize. The sonic cleaner cleans all the lube off and gets the primer pockets too. I've found the aerosol version works better than the pump version. I guess it applies the lubricant more evenly and thinner. It also dries faster.
Scott

Back