Georgia hunting

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Anyone care to share what I have to do to get a whitetail license for Georgia? As well as how the deer hunting is? 2014 I fully intend to hit up GA for some whitetail, as I am moving really close to the state shortly

I have not lived there for 12 yrs but if nothing has channged, deer hog and turkey were all included under one big game license. You were allowed 10 does and 2 bucks. I hunted robins air force base and wma's but would get in a hunt lease if I were to move back there. Georgia oudoor news is a good site that you shuld check out.

12 deer per year sounds pretty encouraging not to mention hogs and turkeys. That 7mm-08 would get a good work out.

That would allow for some fine venison meals (to say nothing of hams and big drumsticks).

Unless the regs have changed dramatically, the process for getting a license is simply to go to an authorized vendor (sporting goods store, Wal-Mart, etc.) and purchase one. I suspect you could also purchase it online. Check the state DNR website. Either way, you'll want to start looking for a lease to join. There are plenty in southern GA.

Don't forget about South Carolina as well. They've got great deer hunting as well.

Sounds like you got a new job. Congrats!
I'd ask around at work too as far as places to hunt. Sometimes you'll luck in to a co-worker that has the inside 411. Also, in your situation you may have a co-worker whose family has a farm that they might let you hunt on. If so you've struck gold providing it isn't hunted out. Don't be afraid to ask around. It may be slow going at first but as folks get to know you things should start opening up.

I shot my largest whitetail ever, in 50 years of deer hunting, in Oconee NWA (north). The part around Monticello in Putnam County, Georgia..

Back