Getting The 358Win Ruger Hawkeye - It's done.

A 22-250 would work, especially with a good bullet. Bottom line, a hold through the lungs equals a dead wolf. I would think a 25-06 would be a great calibre for wolves. Wolves are large, but they are not particularly hard to kill.

beretzs":33cdq34e said:

Another quick note, everyone preaches how tough the .358 200 Remington Core Lokt is

I would put the 200gr Corelokt PSP and the Inter lock 200gr spire point about the same for rate of expantion. But the Corelokt has a heavier shank behide the cannelure so it will keep its core under worse conditions than the interlock. And both should have the same level of penitration.

That said other than for deer at say 150 yards or less I want more cross sectional dencity and the momentum the 225gr bullets have at longer ranges, and for any thing else bigger than deer.

For the 358win I have settled on the 225gr Partition as the do all bullet and either the 200gr spire point or corelokt PSP for deer. For the whelen it will be the 225gr AccuBond untill I need the 250 partion for bigger game.

I agree with that 100%. I would use the 200gr for the 358, since it is a little slower, but at Whelen velocities, I am just not really confident in it. I may try it, but the 225/220's are really where its at for the 358 and I think a strong case can be made for the 250's with the Whelen. Scotty

Back