Getting The 358Win Ruger Hawkeye - It's done.

The first task is to get that Hawkeye. Then, find the load that it likes and dial in the scope. Anticipation is part of the experience, and each time you work up a load, anticipation grows.

Spring bear will be up soon. I should hear shortly on grizzly draws in some great area, and black bear opens April 1. I'll be heading to Vancouver Island for some hunting and salmon fishing in May. It looks as if we'll have an early spring up here, so I may get in some black bear hunting in April in the mountains as they first come out. It is always good meat. In fact, I need to post a recipe or two for bear teriyaki and barbequed ribs. You can be certain that my 358 will accompany me this spring.

Man, that would be awesome to be able to live in a spot to be able to get drawn for spring grizzly. I would give up an arm to have that chance. Scotty

It is possible for non-residents to hunt grizzlies, and the success rate is high. However, it is pricey. I was able to hunt grizzly without a draw up to 1994. It has been on a Limited Entry Hunt system ever since. People that have taken grizzlies are not uncommon here in the Peace Region.

Yeah, I could imagine it is really pricey, with having to pay for an outfitter. That is the good thing about being a resident, you can do it with no extra outfitter fees and such. Paying for tags and licenses is one thing, but the outfitter fees are the killer. Hopefully I get a good job when I grow up! Scotty

For a once in a lifetime hunt, I would imagine that the cost of a combination hunt could be justified. Let the wife take a nature trip or tour on the Rocky Mountaineer, if she doesn't hunt. Combine a hunt for grizzly and moose and possibly throw in a wolf. It is not the thing that most of us can afford every year, but it is doable. The Yukon has some excellent guide/outfitters and some untouched areas as well. Also, there are a number of outfitters in the Northwest Territories that offer some reasonable rates. Nevertheless, you are correct that it is a blessing to be able to take a day off and drive into areas that hold goodly numbers of bears. We have seen four and five grizzlies in a day, and it is not at all unusual to see as many as eleven or twelve black bears in a day. While some of these are young bears, mature six foot bears or larger are not uncommon.

DrMike":g0suezxv said:
For a once in a lifetime hunt, I would imagine that the cost of a combination hunt could be justified. Let the wife take a nature trip or tour on the Rocky Mountaineer, if she doesn't hunt. Combine a hunt for grizzly and moose and possibly throw in a wolf. It is not the thing that most of us can afford every year, but it is doable. The Yukon has some excellent guide/outfitters and some untouched areas as well. Also, there are a number of outfitters in the Northwest Territories that offer some reasonable rates. Nevertheless, you are correct that it is a blessing to be able to take a day off and drive into areas that hold goodly numbers of bears. We have seen four and five grizzlies in a day, and it is not at all unusual to see as many as eleven or twelve black bears in a day. While some of these are young bears, mature six foot bears or larger are not uncommon.

Well, when you get an outfitters license and take scotty and I at a reduced rate (because of our brief friendship) we will be at your front door. :lol: :lol:

You need to find one of the Alberta members who own property. They have a hunters host program that would permit hunting, and the hunting in northern Alberta is not shabby. The cost of a concession here in BC has now grown to millions of dollars. The guiding license is not the problem. It is the cost of territory that kills. Some years ago, I could get a permit to guide family. I don't believe we have that privilege here any more. I would love nothing better than to take some of you fellows on a hunt into the mountains. To see the variety of game is a delight. It is not unusual for me and my hunting partners to watch goats, even climbing up to them, in the morning, and hunt bears and moose or elk in the afternoon.

Mike, you are hitting below the belt now. My dream hunt it to go the Yukon on a Moose hunt with my boy. That would be a great time and I would really like to be up in that country. I would give anything to be able to drive a little ways from my home to hunt griz. Scotty

Now, I can't guide you, but you are welcome to stay with our family if you make it up this far, and I can cut down on costs that much. If you travel to Alaska, this is mile one of the Alaska Highway and most of the travellers do pass through here.

I do a fair amount of load development for a custom rifle maker here in Dawson Creek (http://rockymountainrifles.com/). A number of our clients are outfitters. If I have opportunity this spring, I'll ask about a break on prices. My hunting partner guided in the Prophet/Muskwa a couple of years ago. His dad has guided John Barsness and a number of other well-known writers. It wouldn't hurt to ask, and I am willing to do that. Nevertheless, I know that the law, as it stands now, makes it seem almost impossible to imagine arranging a hunt without the massive fees.

Mike, I appreciate the effort. That is awesome country. You are in the Big Game Capital of NC. Besides the Yukon/Alaska it doesn't get any better. Plus, I enjoy your area more since you have elk. Scotty

Interestingly, elk are becoming antlered rats, together with mule deer. Whilst the mountains are not overrun, the farms have serious depredation with elk and deer. Consequently, we have witnessed a significant increase in the harvest of elk on the farm lands. Likewise, restrictions on white tails and mule deer have been reduced significant during the past couple of years. We'll see how that plays out over the next few years. I'm not always impressed by the "experts" in the ministry of the environment.

Mike, I would like to have your problem of TOO many elk. Most of the places I get to hunt elk are starting to get overan with wolves. Even still, hopefully it opens up more hunting opportunity for you. I know Canada has some excellent elk hunting, especially BC and Alberta. Scotty

Yes, wolves are getting to be problematic for some of the farms in this area. They are not hunted heavily, though they are taken regularly. There are not a great number of hunters that specifically target wolves. We saw a surprising number of wolves this fall, though it probably represented only a few packs. I have found more spoor in the snow this winter, however, in a wide area. I really need to get out and do some calling before spring.

Mike, if you ever need a spotter for wolf calling, give me a holler, I will bring the spotting scope and the rabbit squealer. Heck your wolves are probably so large they would respond better to an elk bugle! Scotty

Actually, they readily come to a rabbit squall. The first one I ever called in was accidental as we were trying to call in a black bear. The wolf burst out of the treeline about 450 yards away and came at a run. At about 100 yards, he stopped and looked confused as we were plainly visible to him from where he stood. However, I squalled again. He seemed to shake his head and came at a lope. My partner shot him as he topped a rise coming toward us. I said he shot in self-defence (not really, but it makes a great story).

Man, that would be alot of fun all by itself. Calling wolves, sounds like a great opportunity for a 358 to get a decent work out! I had to mention the 358 to get back on topic, but I bet it would be a pretty great little combo to carry and then very portable when you were set up to call. You have officially made me pretty jealous of you NW Canadians now. Scotty

I prefer to carry my 280 loaded with 120 grain Hornadys. I just bought another 270 WSM which I may develop with 110 grain bullets for this purpose. You often see wolves here at 400+ yards running. They know where you are and they are hanging around to see your intentions. However, if they are not alerted to your presence, calling them is not difficult.

Hmm, I wonder if 158 or 180 gr. handgun bullets would work for wolf? Personally, I think that if I were gtting a rifle specificly for wolves, I might think about the classic .270/130 Partition.

The handgun bullets would work to kill wolves, no doubt. One could do a whole lot worse than to choose the 270 for wolves, and the 130 Partition would be a great choice. It is important not to damage the pelt.

Seems like the AccuBond would do well or maybe a 22/250 with the 60gr Partition. Wolves are pretty large, but the faster 22's with the partitions would seem be pretty good out to 400 or so. Scotty

Back