Gift Rifle Purchase

Glad you spent the little extra and who ever gets the rifle will appreciate it.

How easy is it to adjust the Vanguard trigger? I'm just wondering in case it comes with the "Lawyer" trigger setting.

It's not hard, but be aware that you will have to adjust the sear engagement and try the safety before reassembly, as it has a safety lockout of sorts when adjusted to too little sear engagement. I've heard some say they can't get the creep out, and others say they have a trigger as good as a Remington 700. I don't own one yet, but I've looked over and worked on a couple. They adjust pretty well the same as the Rem, but with that sear issue. A Timney is another $90 or so if you can't make it workable.

Richrace1, Its funny. One of my Vanguards was easy to ajust the trigger and get it down to 2 3/4 pounds with no creep. The second one, well just couldn't get it. The creep was bad, and when it was ajusted with no creep the saftey wouldn't work. So I got rid of that one and got a Timney. So you might get an easy one to ajust or get a not so easy one, its up to the rifle gods.

....................Well I`d say that the Vanguard Sporter is a pretty good up-grade from the Mossberg or the Marlin XL7. Your budget had a change of heart?.....Very easy to do![/quote]

I took advantage of TGS.com's guns-at-cost sale. I paid 494 + 20 shipping for the Vanguard sporter. I now see, post sale, that their price is now around 680. I just love the saying "right place at the right time", as I believe I got a great deal on this 06.

That is a great buy and you got it for a great price. You will truly like the vanguard, I have owned two of them and the one in 300Wby really was a nice rifle and shot very well.

Got the rifle last Friday. Shot factory Federal stuff to sight in the scope and got just under MOA with that stuff. I then started with my Varget charged loads w/165AB. If I measured right, center-to-center of furthest bullet holes minus the caliber (.308), I got .252" MOA 3 shot group w/ 50.5 gns.
Did I measure the group right? If not, I'm still below .5 MOA.
Here is a quote from the reloading forum I made.

Richracer1":ha51qkmy said:
Well, got the Vanguard Sporter 30-06 Friday, tested some Varget loads today. Here's the results of 50.5gn of Varget pushing a 165AB. Oh and yes I missed the penny. :grin:

Picture001.jpg

Way to go, good shooting & it is good to know that your rifle will perform.

There are 2 more common ways that groups are measured.
1. Try your best to measure center to center & for this method you do not
subtract bullet dia.
2. Measure your outside to outside with calipers or good devise & then subtract bullet diameter. Most, including myself consider this more accurate.

nomosendero":39apqvvs said:
Way to go, good shooting & it is good to know that your rifle will perform.

There are 2 more common ways that groups are measured.
1. Try your best to measure center to center & for this method you do not
subtract bullet dia.
2. Measure your outside to outside with calipers or good devise & then subtract bullet diameter. Most, including myself consider this more accurate.

Thanks, remeasured using the center to center and got .540 to .550. Ok so not under .5 MOA, but I'm still extremely happy with it.

Richracer1

Nice shooting congratulations. That will make for a very nice gift.

JD338

Yes +1, good shooting and Vanguard has lived up to it's reputation once again. So glad you bought it instead of the other. Nice group.

Back