Good Grief

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
:grin:

You guys 'n gals know how often I read these posts and my first thought is "Good grief, load something, go hunt, and tag something...."

I think that often, we make it more difficult than it needs to be...

Always willing to help if I can. Only 50+ years of handloading, an awful lot of hunting, an NRA "high master" rating in competition, and 12 consecutive years of USMC "Expert" level rifle quals.

But really... Pick a good bullet. Hunt hard. Hold tight. And tag your game! it's not nearly as complex as we sometimes seem to make it...

Now go on out there and enjoy hunting season!

Regards, Guy

Guy, I agree completely. When someone starts complaining that their favorite hunting rifle is only getting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards I sit back and roll my eyes. I don't know of any animal that is going to have a problem with that kind of shooting.

I agree completely. My young Hunter passed a giant buck because he was trying to hold a 1 MOA from the field and couldn't. A couple dozen dry fires on the 10" steel plate cured him.
Most of the respected gun writers often mentioned here started their career with rifles that rarely made 1 1/2 MOA. They hunted, they didn't take target practice on game.
Sure it's outstanding to have a rifle that will give 1/2 MOA. If it's just about hunting you'll kill far more game by taking the 1 1/2 MOA rifle scouting with you and practice putting the cross hairs on the crease just behind the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point.
I do like to shoot for accuracy just to see how tight I can get it and for grins. Unfortunately as I accumulate mileage (years :grin: ) the needed scope power needs to go up to see the target clearly. Don't know why that happens. :grin:
Heck, a 1 1/2 MOA rifle is in 4 1/2 inches at 300 and that should take care of any deer you want to shoot.

When I first started shooting the industry standard at 100 yards was a three inch group. At some time later in my shooting life it was reduced to an inch and a half. Now of course everyone wants to shoot 1 inch groups or even more challenging MOA. I wonder what we are coming to next.

After reading Guy's frequent post, regarding shooting from a field position, I made some time last week to do just that. Two gallon jugs full of water with my .308 Winchester Remington Tactical, a 1/4MOA, shooter. There would be no excuses with this rifle. The jugs were placed at 270 yards and I blazed away at them from a slinged, sitting position. After 5 shots I went down range and checked them, sure enough neither had been touched. Later in the week 6 shots with my 7mm mag yielded three hits. Tomorrow weather permitting I will try with my trusty 300 WM. So far this has been a very humbling experience.
I will say however that my last 6 or 7 elk were all killed from a prone position at similar or farther distance. In addition I did kill one walking at a 100 yards from the kneeling position. So all is not lost. I still have a week to go before I leave, so more field position shooting is in order.

Enjoy your marksmanship practice! I know you're a sure-fire elk-killer! (y)

Guy

Well said Guy.
And life is sooo much easier when you have one bullet/load per rifle. ;)

JD338

JD338":113yc7ef said:
Well said Guy.

JD338

That's something I learned a while back, and so true!

Used to tinker with my loads. This bullet, that bullet, this powder, now something else... Not so much anymore. I may have a couple of documented loads for a rifle, but there is a standard load for each. The rifle remains sighted-in with that load, and I build enough of that particular ammo that anytime, I can just grab a box and go hunting or shooting. It's real nice & clean that way. No weird surprises, like "Uh oh, the only .30-06 ammo I have is 110 gr hollow point varmint rounds, and it's bear season!" :mrgreen:

Guy

Yes sir...when it gets "close" to season, we just need to "make a decision, do it, and never apologize for it!"

I'm still tinkering with loads. I like shooting at the paper targets.
I'm happy if I get small groups but I'm not much of a shooter.
I am interested in where the first couple of shots go and also if I can consistently put them where they would be acceptable for whatever hunting activity I might want to use them for.
Realistically most of my shots at game have been from 100 to 200 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD338":2ivqx082 said:
Well said Guy.

JD338

I agree 100%. I used to tinker with what if's but have since settled on one repeatable accurate load per rifle and I am much happier. Get a good hunting bullet, good powder and practice practice practice for all shooting positions and know your limitations from each position.

I usually hunt ground hogs in the summer and get a lot of field practice shooting from various positions and let it carry over to big game season. I have my pet load for my 30-06 and it never changes. Most of my shooting is done standing and off hand except when there is a tree to lean on. I do use the bench rest to work up loads and sight in my rifles Shooting sub MOA groups helps build confidence and having a rifle and load that shoot MOA or less makes it easier to make those boarder line shots where you have a small window or opening to place a bullet.
I have been playing the chasing the load game with the 35 Whelen/AI and that rifle has taught me a lot about reloading that cartridge. I have 2 loads that I have confidence that it will do what I want it to do should I get the opportunity to shoot a deer or bear with it.

Things I've thought but been too scared to put so bluntly and precisely. Well said Guy.

Coming from a similar background in HP shooting (although not quite HM, occasionally I break that cut but not consistently), there is much truth to be had here. My competition grade AR 15 service rifle with a 4x Leupold and match bullets will, on a good day, flirt with 1MOA from a bench. That is with limited load development. Just picked a "standard" service rifle load and gave it minimal testing for reliable function and acceptable accuracy. With said rifle and load, I can regularly hit a kill-sized target to 300 yards prone. Knowing what I know about wind and field shooting positions, I consider shooting at game outside of 400 yards unethical regardless of ballistics. Near MOA will get it done, and most modern rifles with a decent load will get you there without cooking off your barrel looking for it. Also, the highest velocity load may not be the best one. Muzzle velocity tends to be much less important for practical performance at range than BC, SD, and YOUR ability to accrue sufficient practice time without breaking the budget or developing a nasty flinch.

The one that drives me nuts when my brother and his friends think they have to pull out a range finder for every shot. With 99% of big game being shot under 350 yards most big game rifles sighted in 3 inches high at 100 yards it's just point and shoot it, hold on hair. Until it's way out there leave the range finder in your pocket.

After killing a few deer with a bow, I'm seriously considering selling my 7mm Remington Magnum. I keep asking myself "Why do I need to shoot an animal farther than 400yds?" I just bought a 7mm-08 and yeah, I'm not really seeing the need to pound myself with a magnum anymore...lol.

desertcj":1qiapqhy said:
After killing a few deer with a bow, I'm seriously considering selling my 7mm Remington Magnum. I keep asking myself "Why do I need to shoot an animal farther than 400yds?" I just bought a 7mm-08 and yeah, I'm not really seeing the need to pound myself with a magnum anymore...lol.
Amen Brother. Thats why I stopped shooting magnums YEARS ago. Tired of getting kicked out from under my hair and going home with a migraine.

Keep telling my buddy when he stops shooting flinch inducing magnums, his accuracy will improve.

I now only ever hunt with the 30-06. That is until I aquire the custom 280 Ackley Imp Im currently waiting on. Even then around the house and many of my other hunting grounds the 30-06 will do quiet nicley.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back