Got a new rifle/heirloom for my birthday!

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
My godfather is nearing the end of his hunting days and gave me this rifle yesterday. He had it built in the 60s or 70s by a gunsmith in Augusta ,MT. It's custom stocked and chambered in 257 Roberts Improved. This is my first ackley chambered rifle and I'm excited to play with it! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
null_zps30b51d40.jpg

ca995430bb596d37ea78bc7d55e6fcaf_zpsd359d4eb.jpg

dea3afd59453ba66eb8f975709554c17_zps487c0544.jpg

German Mauser correct?

DT

Congratulations on the 257AI.
It will be a great deer round with any of the Nosler offerings. The 115 gr BT would be an awesome choice.

Not sure about photo bucket. Try reloading the pictures.

JD338

I'm looking forward to the pictures; this sounds like a wonderful, very thoughtful gift. It looks as if Photobucket is saying that you are exceeding bandwidth. It may be a way for them to generate income.

Fantastic gift there!

That cartridge is a favorite of mine too.

I went after the heavies like Jim suggested when I first got mine, but settled on 100s & lighter. You can't got wrong either way. Sounds like your godfather has history and load data and fire formed brass?

I look forward to seeing pics!

That bandwidth thing is weird. I have seen where other people's stuff was blocked that way but not experienced it myself as you can see from my new custom Bob post. Mine are IPad pics so???

With photobucket, when I got the warning about being almost out of bandwidth, I just deleted some of my older, seldom-used photos from the account. No problem after that.

Guess I could pay for the professional version, but I'd rather spend the money on a newer, better camera instead.

Looking forward to seeing your "new" rifle!

Guy

I deleted a ton of pictures today and it still isn't working. I'll try again later. Sorry guys!

DrMike":3vatqxoq said:
I'm looking forward to the pictures; this sounds like a wonderful, very thoughtful gift. It looks as if Photobucket is saying that you are exceeding bandwidth. It may be a way for them to generate income.

They did the same to me Mike, then it just stopped and they started appearing again.....

DT, great rifle. Hope to see pictures soon.. Very cool rifle.

I started a new photobucket account once my first one still won't let me post pics. But...

Got it to work!
080e66e60291b0c24d0bb7e415086b08_zps549d9a47.jpg

449ca1726e28584817d0568a6e5f6acb_zps09f67642.jpg

af6e4c2a053413ed4f2df6b5d687edb9_zpsf6638c37.jpg

Honestly and embarrassingly, I know nothing about old mausers. What would I be looking for?

Well, the printing is definitely German... :grin: And the safety, bolt shroud and bolt release gate look for all the world like a Mauser to me. Great rifle!

Back