Got me a new scope.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
A Leupold VXII 3-9 c. In gloss finish. (y)

It came attached to this hunk of wood and steel. Apparently, some people use them to hurl metal objects at paper and game animals. Don't know. I'll stick it in the corner and come up with a use for it at some point. :whistle: :)

Bolt face is noticeably clean, like it wasn't shot much. Don't know and doesn't matter, just an observation.

450 bills out the door, tax and background check included. I figure the scope is worth $200 on ebay all day long so when I seen that on it, it was a no brainer. I bet that hard plastic buttplate on that solid wooden stock wakes you up quicker than the 5th swig of hot coffee in the morning. Might be a candidate for a good replacement stock when I get to fooling with it. 22.5" barrel which is kind of a bummer on a 300WM but is what it is. Good buy I think any way you look at it.

Good for you...You can do a lot with 22.5" barrel in terms of distance and killing far out there.
In fact, the scope will be the most limiting factor of the set-up, if the rifle has good accuracy.

Couldn't resist.:giggle:

:ROFLMAO:

I could've, I really could've, but that Leupold had to be stuck on top of it. That scope will come off of it, and they say never buy a gun for the scope and I didn't, but the bare fact is that all of a sudden that became a $250 price tag rifle. At that I couldn't resist for what it is. Still don't know what I'm gonna do with it, and I still have little interest in a 300WM, but it would make a great donor rifle for something else.

Aw- you did buy it! Good for you! I saw that luey in the original post. My 250 is a FN Mauser action. Was hadrd for me not to tell you too. Its all been said, to the right person, that action is worth $300, you could sell the scope off the rifle for $200 and even a broke tightwad like me would consider it. If you can make it shoot where's the down side to this one? If it walks in NA you can hunt it. Years ago, guys (crazy ones- who were permanently crossed eyed from doing so...) shot those things in 1000 yard matches. CL

I think you have a nice rifle as is. I would just reload it down to 30-06 velocity and take it hunting.

Except I have three 30-06's already. It would make a great action and rifle for a 25-06, 257 Weatherby, or a 6.5x55 or 7x57. All cartridges I have none of.

Or maybe I'll run across a good trade opportunity with it. Got a lot of bartering power because of what it is and what I have in it, so that might work out.

Good for you...You can do a lot with 22.5" barrel in terms of distance and killing far out there.
In fact, the scope will be the most limiting factor of the set-up, if the rifle has good accuracy.
I'm curious as to why you would see the scope as the limiting factor. I have been hunting with my .338 Ultra mag for a good number of years with a 1.5X 6 scope attached and I've never had distance issues with it. I took my last Elk at 326 yards and at 6 power it looked as big as a house out there.

I would take it to the range and try it out. How it shoots might help you decide what you want to do with it. Proof is in the performance.

Ron

Except I have three 30-06's already. It would make a great action and rifle for a 25-06, 257 Weatherby, or a 6.5x55 or 7x57. All cartridges I have none of.

Or maybe I'll run across a good trade opportunity with it. Got a lot of bartering power because of what it is and what I have in it, so that might work out.
Wish we lived closer. I'd try to find you some more 348 bullets to trade for your new rifle:ROFLMAO: Dan.

Back