Got some last minuet questions

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
I was practiceing to day and since it was way before season, I went out to my lease to see how my ML would do out to 200 yards. I'm pretty impressed out to 150, keepin every thing with in 6 inches (with open sights) but at 200 I seem to be getting some flyers. One may be 8 inches to the right and the next may be the same distance to the left. Looks good up and down, But left and right scares me. I have been shooting at 100 yards in my back yard off and on all year.and keeping a 4 inch group.
Also I dont have a chronograph at this time, and was wondering if any one could give me an estimate of what my energy might be at 200 yards. I'm shooting a 444 grain power belt out of my persuit pro, with 110 grains of FFF 777.
Any input on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
I think the flyers may be due to have shot 8 to 9 times without a cleaning, but I do run a damp patch down the tube just before the 200 yard shots.
Thanks,
JD

I'm not sure of the specifics of the energy at 200. With a 444 grain bullet, I can tell you it will surely do the job on deer or elk but the more important thing is bullet placement. I am shooting the same exact charge and powder as you but am using a 348 grain bullet, grouping 1 inch open sight at 100 yards. I have killed one cow elk and 2 mulie bucks at closer to 80 yards or closer with this load. They do the job! When I up the powder charge, my groups spread. This leads me to believe that even though my Encore can take the pressures of 150 grains, I'm not getting full powder burn. If you're best group at 100 is 6", I would recommend decreasing your charge in 10 grain increments and shoot for groups with 100, 90, and 80. Go with whichever shoots the tightest, then sight in. My 348 is dead on at 100 and 2.5" high at 50. I feel confident out to 150, based on bullet placement. That 444 grain bullet is going to have all kinds of energy, but the most important factor will be how far you can accurately place the bullet where it needs to be to do the job. Good luck to you! I will be hunting a week from today. I took my Mom and Dad up to the Rocky Mt National Park yesterday and after seeing deer, elk, and moose can hardly contain myself. I'm stoked!

I agree with Yote. I shoot 80 grains of 777 FFG with a 300 grain bullet. 3/4" groups at 100 yards with a wipe of the bore between each shot with a patch and T/C #13. If I move it up to 90 grains my groups hit the 4" mark.

Remember that 777 is 15% stronger then black powder or other subsitute.

From what I recall, I was getting consistant groups out to 100 with 110 grains and my groups started spreading out at 90.this is the load I've been useing for the last 2 years. This is the first time I have shot open sights at 200 or even 150, and I cant even see the plate behind the sight at 200 yards. also at 200 I use a rest for that reason. at 50,100 and 150, I am shooting free hand. I'll try to drop downand see what happens at the longer range.
Thanks for the info :)
JD

Muzzle loaders are funny things. Going from 150 to 200 yards is a bigger jump then you might think. Try 175 and see how you do with that.

Just noticed this: "I'm shooting a 444 grain power belt out of my persuit pro, with 110 grains of FFF 777."

Are you sure? That is pistol powder. You should be shooting the FFG equivilant 777. It has a gold label vs silver.

Nope its FFF, works great! I have noticed today that the Hogdon web site only allows for a 100 grain load of FFF for 50 cal. I am going to down load and see what happens this after noon. Thanks for the advice,
JD

OK with 100 grains things tightened up a little from 50 to 100 yards, I have good 3 inch groups, shooting from a rest accross the hood of my jeep. I AM HAPPY WITH THAT. this isnt match grade shooting its muzzleloading for elk. However at 150 things open up to about 6 inches and at 200, almost a foot. also at 150 and 200 I need to hold about a foot and a half high.
I dont mind the hold over,
as long as I know how much and it stays consistant. which it seems to be. I still think I will try and limit my shots to 100 which I have been shooting at for some time now.
JD

Back