Grand daughter's first deer.

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
To start off with this was a heck of a morning. I had to work till 2:30AM, came home went to bed and was up at 5:30AM to get ready to go hunting. We went into the White Rock Lake Bottom the north entrance of which is 11 1/2 miles from my house. We ventured down into the White Rock Lake Bottom about 2 1/4 miles (this area is 4 miles long and 2 1/2 miles wide that is either farm land, rice cane and hay meadows).

We got into position on the south edge of a big meadow right at shooting time. This is the area where we saw some deer yesterday but were in the wrong position to get a shot. At any rate only having 3 hours of sleep I kept dozing off. When I would start to snore my grand daughter would tell me I was going to spook the deer.

At about 9:45AM or so we headed out. I told my grand daughter I am not going to be any good to her if I keep dozing off, we'd go home and hunt this afternoon.

We meandered our way out of the White Rock Lake Bottom and as we neared the old groove about 1/4 mile south of the old town of White Rock SD I told Kenzie we could see a deer here. Sure enough I spotted a Doe and a Fawn. Kenzie only has Antlerless Deer Tags so this was a good thing. We snuck into shooting position and Kenzie made a 50 yard shot. 2 years of Rimfire Bench Rest Shooting at the Indoor Shooting Range must have paid off as if I would have put a target on the side of that doe for an aiming spot for Kenzie to shoot at, she would have had a dead center bullseye.

At the shot the doe ran about 30 yards, slowed and stopped. As the doe stopped she took about 2 steps backwards and collapsed. After a few high 5's the chores commenced. Kenzie and her little brother Alex helped with the field dressing chores. This was a nice young fat doe (probably had her first fawn with her) and should be great eating.

I must apologize for not having any photos. Kenzie misplaced her cell phone, I left my good camera in the work vehicle and when we finally got home I learned the batteries are dead.

For the record the Rifle Kenzie used is my Wife's Remington Model 700 SPS Stainless-Synthetic that we had shortened the Barrel on to 18 1/2" with a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x9x40mm Riflescope. The load was taken straight from the Hodgdon Web Site under their Youth Loading Data, 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded with a reduced load of H-4895. This load is super mild in recoil and quite slow for muzzle velocity but it indeed did the job it was intended to do. This makes a great handling package at 7 1/2 pounds with the scope & mounts and 4 rounds in the magazine.

Larry

Awesome story Larry! What a great year! Sounds like she really put the smack down on the deer. How was bullet performance? That bullet should be just about awesome at those reduced speeds. Scotty

Congrats on the outing, thats what grandpas are for to teach our families what is good in life. :)

Blessings,
Dan

THANKS GUYS

I tell ya I thought I was going to have a heart attack waiting for Kenzie to take the shot. I had to bleat at the doe with my mouth twice to stop her when she got nervous and started walking.

I have two more grand kids that are to start hunting in the next coupld years and am not sure my old heart can take the excitement. I am not sure if I have ever been that excited in shooting a deer before or seeing someone shoot a deer before.

Kenzie has been shooting Rimfire Indoor Bench Rest Competition for a couple years now and today made all of the questions and such all worth while.

To tell you the truth I didn't even closely inspect the wound channel. It was -1 degree this morning and I didn't take anymore time doing the field dressing than I had to.

Larry

Congratulations all the way around. That is a great account of bonding between grandpa and granddaughter. That is just a great story.

Congratulations to your Granddaughter.
Is she shooting a 308 Win?

JD338

DrMike":3i3rcs1s said:
Congratulations all the way around. That is a great account of bonding between grandpa and granddaughter. That is just a great story.

My thoughts as well Larry !!!

THANKS GUS

Yes the Rifle Kenzie used is a used Remington Model 700 SPS Stainless-Synthetic .308 that I bought for my wife. We had the 24" Barrel shortened and crowned at 18 1/2". Talk about a sweet handling little rifle. With Weaver Bases, Weaver Quad Lock Scope Rings, a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x9x40mm and 4 rounds of ammo in the magazine it tips the UPS Digital Scale at 7 1/2 pounds.

I had loaded all of this ammo for a previously owned .308 so when we bought this .308 it was only natural I try this ammo since I had 200 rounds sitting here. The ammo is straight from the Hodgdon Youth Loading Data section at Hodgdon's web site, 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, 38.0grs. H-4895, COL 2.800". Hodgdon shows a muzzle velocity from a 24" Barrel at 2596FPS but this 18 1/2" Remington only produces 2315FPS. With a 7 1/2 pound rifle this calculates out to 8 FtLbs of Free Recoil. (for the record full power 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip Handloads loaded with VARGET clock 2606 FPS and produce 15.74 FtLbs of Free Recoil in this rifle).

Granted it was a LOT OF YEARS AGO but I don't think I was as excited when I shot my first deer as I was yesterday when Kenzie shot this doe.

Larry

Congratulations Larry on the nice job and to your grand-daughter as well. Sounds like she had a wonderful teacher! I bet she was tickled with herself!!

Congratulations to Kenzie and to her proud Grandpa! That's a story she'll remember all her life.

Thanks guys, that is a story and hunt grandpa will remember for the rest of his life too.

Larry

Great story, congratulations to both of you and especially to your grandaughter. H 4895 is a very versatile powder.

Great story. Always great to get new kids out and into the hobby. Congratulations on her deer.

Back