Great loads for the 280

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Well I had a couple of loads that needed testing and since it was a nice day (+ 15) I went out to the range. Had to wade thru the snow to set up my targets but a guy has to shoot when a guy has to shoot.

I tried the Nosler 140 Accubonds and the 150 BT's. Both with H4831. Powder amounts were 1 gn different but all other components the same. Both shot to the same POI at 100 yds. Both shot 3/4" (5 shot) groups. It is interesting to me that these as well as a previously proven load (140gn AccuBond with Re-19) shoot to the same place with the same accuracy.

I am not a great shot but these loads and my 280 make me look decent. Infact, I shot in kind of a hurry today, my wife was along and was getting cold, or I really think these would be on par with a couple of other loads that I have that shoot 1/2" at 100.

Long

I had a similar experience with my 300WSM Browning BAR. I tried 165 Nosler Partitions and 180 Accubonds, Ramshot Hunter powder , 1 grain apart, everything else the same. Exact same POI with 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Nice to know I can swith from 165 Partitions to 180 Accubonds without any scope adjustments.
Nosler, nothing but the best.

In more than twenty years with this cartridge, I have found my favourite load to be with the Partition Gold moly Free 160 gr., using mag. primers, IMR-7828, Norma brass and my rifle takes 59 grs-60 grs with good velocities and outstanding groups. It does a comfortable 2700 with 175 NPs as well; this is a re-chambered 7x57 with a generous chamber, thhis load might be a tad warm in some rifles. Most of my groups are about .625" at 100, which I consider pretty fair for an older barrel (1956), a 3x9 Balvar from the late '80s and a gettin' to be a geezer guy like me!

Back