Grizzly Update Number One

Guy,

I'm going out again all day Monday and likely intermittently throughout the week. I intend to spend the day on Friday with boots on the ground. The season for bear (black and grizzly) runs from August 15 to November 15. Below 1100 meters, wolf does not close. Mule deer archery season runs from September 1-30, and the rifle season runs November 1-30 for 3 point bucks or larger with does running November 15-20. White-tailed deer bow season is past, but anterless is October 10-31 and either sex November 1-30. Elk is open from September 1-October 31, with 3 point bulls for my home area and six point bulls in the zone where I'm hunting grizzly. Anterless runs from September 15 through October 31. Moose runs from September 1-30, and again from October 16 through 31, except in the area where I'm hunting grizzly which has no break for the rut. Cougar is open September 10 through March 31. As you can see, there will be a fair amount of hunting on the agenda if I can work around work.

The black bear pictures you posted are excellent specimen, and the colour phase is really delightful. I've shot a couple of black bears that were just shy of 7 feet, but the more common around here are 5.5 to 6 feet. Consequently, a typical mountain grizzly is about 6.5 to 7 feet. A large one goes 8 feet or larger. I believe the largest I have seen, that I could verify, was 8 feet 10 inches. It put the run on me and another hunting partner. One of the gunsmiths shot it the following spring, so I'm very confident of the squared size. I can tell you this, at close range, he looked huge!

Scotty,

Yeah, that is the way we clean them. It is quick and easy. My wife asked why I didn't just split them like the chefs do quail on the cooking shows. Sometimes, you just can't win. I used to always carry a slingshot, but the T-bolt works better for me nowadays. Gil is addicted to the bow this year. I tease him about taking feathers from the tail and from the neck which ensures that the grouse that escape will catch cold and die.

Awesome photos, Mike. Maybe some day I can get above the border to take a look-see. As for the grizzlies, if I saw one I'd probably be diong the scating :shock:. Keep it coming, DrMike, thats some good reading.

Brandon,

I do enjoy watching grizzlies. I have discovered that they are almost always cognizant of my presence, though if I am far enough away they ignore me and continue on with their work, whatever that may be. Occasionally, one will be either curious or aggressive and trot over to see what I'll do. Nevertheless, they are the kings of their environment--top of the food chain, and they know it.

Hi Dr. Mike, thanks for the update. I just took a break sharpening up the knives as we leave next Saturday for Elk. Saturday evening & Sunday bulls only and then from the 20th to 30th they open all 3. Spoke with some farmers up were we hunt and they advised that they have never seen the water that there is this year. A couple are in their 70s and still say they have never seen this much rain. It might be difficult to get the animals out of the field when they are down as we do not want to chew up the fields or it will be posted tight. Well the weather is supposed to break this coming week so I am hoping of good weather over the next couple of weeks.
This is my time of year but with the new job at the church:) I may not have quite the time I have had for the last few years.
Keep posting and hopefully I will have some stories to tell when I get back on the 27th.
Good hunting and be safe.

Blessings,
Dan

Back