Grizzly Update Number One

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I thought I'd post an update. There is no blood on my knives, but it is not for lack of trying. I went into camp on Sunday morning. It was raining and took about three hours to travel the 58 km off the main road. I was able to get in an evening hunt, but we saw only a few deer and lots of grouse.

It rained steadily on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We scouted a number of areas that were promising. All had signs of grizzlies and wolves. I have never seen so many wolf tracks and such a large amount of wolf scat. Deer, moose and elk populations seem to be depressed in these areas. Also, I am seeing far fewer black bears that I would normally see. I saw one coyote (a pup) in all my explorations. However, I bagged quite a few grouse and saw lots of snowshoe hare.

Yesterday broke bright and clear, and with the promise of a transient change in the weather, my hunting partner and I ventured into some new territory. I saw five grizzlies yesterday and two black wolves. The grizzlies were all either sows and cubs or cubs without the sow visible. The first two cubs were chocolate with just a sprinkling of silver. They were about 550 pounds and the sow was about 650 pounds or slightly larger. The first cub popped up about forty yards away and stood to look at us before mama sent him packing. They circled and came out below us about 80 yards before moving away. I gave a predator call and the younguns' turned to see what was happening. Mama woofed at them and sent them on their way, but not before standing up to get a good look at what we were. My camera was still packed, so I wasn't able to get a picture. My trusty native guide razzed me all afternoon about failing to get a picture, especially since the little family had posed so prettily for me.

Later in the afternoon, two cubs about the same size as these earlier cubs darted out in front of us at about 60 yards. They were blond coloured. The first cub gave a quick glance toward us before both ran about twenty yards down the road and darted into the bush. We never saw mama, but we were pretty certain that she was close by.

Altogether, we counted spoor and scat from at least 15 different grizzlies in eight separate areas. We tracked a couple of boars, one that was very close, but we could not get a visual on either of them. The last one we tracked looked to be at least 7 or 7.5 feet according to his spoor. I'm heading back after the weekend and setting aside the early part of each week for the remainder of the season (d.v.).

Yesterday morning, a black wolf came trotting down the road as we were driving into an area Gil thought we should investigate. This wolf was about 450 yards when I gave a predator call which at first sent him loping toward us. Then, at about 350 yards he went to the ditch, paused and turned away from us. I continued calling and he turned and walked toward us for perhaps ten or fifteen yards before turning into the bush. We drove carefully up the road, hoping to get a clear shot. When we reached the point where he had gone in, my hunting partner looked in the rearview mirror and saw a very large charcoal coloured wolf standing broadside about 250 yards behind us. I would estimate the size of that dog at about 160 pounds or more. It was easily one of the largest wolves I have seen in this area.

I had my 350 RM loaded with 200 grain TSX launched at 2810 fps, so I thought it should be an easy shot. Just as I raised my rifle, he (or she) darted into the bush. I believe that while we were calling, this larger wolf (alpha female?) came out of the bush to investigate. You may be certain that I will set up and try calling again to see if I can tease another one of this big puppies out to where I can invite it to spend some time with me.

Out of eight major areas investigated, only one had no sign of wolves. There are a large amount of footprints (many very large) and scat in all these areas. As I said, there were far fewer deer and moose than I would have imagined. I suspect that predation has been extensive this year. We did see moose, elk, whitetail and mulies, just not in the numbers we would normally have seen. Also, I saw far fewer black bears than normal for these areas.

In any case, I'm home for a couple of days. I hope to do some additional load work that is lacking and then spend some more time in the bush. Man, just being close to the bears and the wolves has me pumped.

My partner repeatedly consoled me at the fact that I don't yet have a grizzly on this trip by reminding me that most people have never seen a grizzly in the wild, and we were within a matter of yards of five of them in one day. I glowered at his suggestion, though I must confess his logic in this instance is sound. I daresay that most hunters are not successful on their first foray into grizzly country on the first or second try. I know that my first two hunts were unsuccessful, though I did manage to kick one in the backside, but that is another story.

Mike,

You are living the dream my friend! As Guy mentioned, sounds like s successful hunt regardless.....

Good luck on your pursuit, I am sure you will get some action soon.

JD338

DrMike

Great story, to bad about the wolves. Maybe they are running out of game in Idaho and moving north. Keep up the hunt, that big boar is out there waiting for you!!!!

Keep plugging, Mike!! I saw my first grizzly (sow & 3 cubs) in the wild last fall and they are amazing creatures!

Mike -

Great time out and about - I have to chuckle to myself - 550lb cubs......
I have an archery black bear tag and will be heading up tomorrow. I have very little experience with these creatures and couldn't imagine a 550 bear let-a-lone a cub......

Good luck to you and get some lead in the air after those wolves!
Oh ya - "Camera" :wink:

I do have a few pictures to tell something of the tale to date. In between rain showers, I managed to take a few pictures over the course of the first foray into the field. These are some of the mountains I'm hunting. I couldn't get too many longer shots as fog shrouded many of the peaks on most days.

This is a scene overlooking one of the initial valleys I ventured into. You will notice the extensive devastation from mountain pine beetle as you witnessed the total destruction of all pine trees in the area.

P9080160.jpg

This is the floor where we found some of the first grizzly spoor and extensive wolf sign. Fireweed was everywhere, adding a splash of colour to every hillside.

P9060155.jpg

This is the entrance to another valley where we found a plethora of sign for both grizzly and wolf. The photo that follows was taken along the same trail as we began a climb out of the valley and into the high country.

P9060157.jpg

P9060153.jpg

Here is a final picture overlooking yet another area we explored extensively.

P9060152.jpg

The area I am hunting is replete with multiple unnamed streams that provide an abundance of clear water to the game.

P9060158.jpg

Gil has been my hunting partner for nine years. He is a great friend and an excellent hunter. His dad is one of the finest guides to be found in the north country. John Barsness, in his write up of the 9.3 X 62, spoke of Gil's dad, Donny Davis, in the current Nosler Guide. When this picture was taken, it was about ten in the evening and we had just arrived back in camp after hunting since five in the morning.

P9090161.jpg

If Gil looked tired, you can believe that the old fellow was plumb tuckered out.

P9090162.jpg

Consequently, I didn't come home empty-handed. I brought ten fine grouse (ruffed and sage hens, with one blue grouse). Gil's fiancee was in camp on the first day. They took three grouse with traditional bows, which was not a bad feat. It was Susan's first kill with a bow, and she is some kind of proud in the picture.

P9060159.jpg

I'll do all I can to get some decent pictures of the game that we encounter so I can post them later.

Scott,

I see grizzly frequently when I am in the bush. There are quite a few here. The area I'm hunting has allotted six tags this fall, after allotting three this past spring. There are areas close-by that set aside up to sixty tags for the fall hunt and a similar number for the spring hunt. There are lots of grizzlies about. However, the concerned citizens of Vancouver and Victoria (and Washington, DC and San Francisco and New York City and...) apply considerable pressure to the provincial legislature to restrict the hunt. The last open hunt in BC was in 93. It was my first grizzly hunt. I spent my time on Chicken Creek above Pink Mountain and near Sikanni Chief River.

Mark,

Those cubs make some of our black bears look small. The largest black bear I've taken was less than an inch shy of seven feet, but the average size of a black bear in this area is nearer to the size of these cubs. These cubs are about 5.5 feet squared. They are some incredibly powerful. I marvel each time I see them stand because when they lower themselves to the ground to run there is no dropping--it is a controlled movement as they place their feet solidly ont he ground in one smooth move.

Dr. Mike,
Great story and thanks for sharing the pictures. It's like we were there sharing the journey with you.... That really is some beautiful country up there. Hopefully you will be successful and find that perfect bear. Try and get some pictures of the little ones and the sows so we can just see them.

I've had the fortune of seeing two grizzly bears in the wild up in Glacier Park, and they are simply gorgeous. I believe we were real close to having a very limited permit quota on Grizzly bears here in Montana but Judge Molloy put them back on the endangered species list last year.

Keep us updated and keep the pictures coming.

Keep taking and posting photos, Mike! I hope you know that many of us dream of locations, opportunities, and hunts like this. I want to hunt in BC, Alaska, the NWT, etc before I die but I don't know if I will ever make it (most likely won't) so seeing the photos and reading your stories fills that void.

6mm Remington,

You don't know how much I wish I had the photos of the sow and cubs! I'll certainly continue to try to capture such photos for posting, and especially this year as the animals are in such great shape. However, when things begin to move they do move quickly. There is a sense of awe, anticipation and wariness that seems to overwhelm me in the presence of these great bears. There were no particular threats on this initial portion of my fall hunt, but I have been charged a couple of times by grizzlies. It makes one cautious, and I'm loathe to put my rifle down. At anything less than 150 yards, I'm sufficiently close to potentially trigger a charge, and I know that a bear can cover that ground surprisingly fast.

Terrific photos!

I was a little slow to take up with digital photography. I loved using my old 35mm SLR with all the lenses and even remember saying only about ten years ago that the doggone new digital cameras have lousy resolution and will never replace 35mm film for serious photography. Boy was I wrong!

A couple of years ago I upgraded from my first clumsy digital camera to a little pocket-sized Canon. Wow... It's nice! And small enough that I literally put it in my parka pocket, or my vest pocket, and take it most of the time when I go hunting, fishing, hiking or skiing. The quality of these newer digital cameras is pretty amazing. I'm impressed with all the quality photos I see here and on other hunting & fishing web sites.

Guy

Guy,

I carry an Olympus Stylus 850 SW because it is waterproof. The resolution is not as good as some other cameras of equal cost, but it does give me some peace of mind when I carry while fishing or during a rainstorm. I'm certainly not so thoroughly versed on its use that I can ensure great photos each time. In fact, it produces better photos than I am capable of posting.

Dr Mike -
Thanks for the great report and pics!! Love seeing grouse hunted with arrows equiped with flu-flu feathers and judo tips; used to keep one of those in my quiver when hunting for whitetail in case a grouse wondered under my tree stand.

That wolf sounds huge. The ones we have here in Minnesota aren't that big, but I have seen a couple that had legs as long as some of the deer. It is no wonder they are able to wreak the deer, elk and moose populations where they are not allowed to be kept in check.

Mike,

Great story and pictures! Man, that is awesome country! Congratulations to Susan, she did fantastic with the long bow!

Best of luck to all of you.

JD338

Jim,

The pictures don't do the country justice. There was snow on the tops of the taller peaks, but the fog obscured that for the pictures. I'm working on a system to get more pictures of the game in the area.

Susan is a fine young woman and enjoys the same pursuits that Gil enjoys. I believe they will truly make one another happy, for which I'm grateful. She certainly wanted to take a "chicken" with her bow, and she did it first. Of course, that was the occasion for considerable ribbing of my trusty native guide and his failure to connect. He did redeem himself, however.

Dr Mike - When are you headed out again? It must be a good long season up there. I hope to see you add a grizz to make our two black bears look tiny in the 2010 hunt photo section!

Our bear season is pretty long here, but general deer is only nine days... Have to really get with the program to find a few legal bucks!

Guy

Doc,

Your post and pix are fantastic. I cannot really add more than whats already been said, except thank you for sharing. Guy M, summed it up best in his first post!!

Tod

Awesome pictures Mike! That is some incredible country. Hope to see you up there in the future! That really puts the drive into me!

I remember when I was moose hunting in BC, near Ft St John in 1995. My guide carried a sling shot and we had fun just shooting the grouse with hardened moose turds. I actually still have it on video. That was one of the funnest parts of the hunt. I had a blast with it and learned how to clean them quickly by stepping on wing joints and pulling up on the legs. Instant access to the breasts!

Can't wait to see more pictures. BC is truly an awesome area. Scotty

Back