Hand priming tool ?

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
I've had it with the Lee Auto prime I've been using.
Had one that lasted for over twenty years and the handle broke.
Lee redesigned the thing and parts for it are now obsolete.
Bought a new one, the updated version and it's an absolute piece of junk.
The way the lid fits over the primer tray it will flip primers upside down.
And the lid itself, they way it attaches is a joke. I've already broken the little lock tabs off of four of them in a year.
Just tried to order another one and they are out of stock.
( What does that tell you?)

What are you guys and gals using?

RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. You won't need to buy all the shell holders, either. Works quite well for me. The only problem I ever had was when the spring lost tension. Reset it and kept right on working.

I'm using the RCBS hand priming too with the auto jaws. Joel and I swapped some gear and he sent me one of these after priming on a press for years. I love it. Easy priming, there are no separate shell holders to buy and it seems like a sturdy piece of gear. I've used mine for 22-250 thru 45-70 and it works well with them all. I'd give it 5 stars after about a year of crushing primers with it. Plus, I know RCBS will stand behind it should it ever crap out.

Scotty how does the auto jaw thing work?
Have to adjust it manually somehow or does it do it automatically?

Scotty how does the auto jaw thing work?
Have to adjust it manually somehow or does it do it automatically?

A tension spring holds chucks in place to secure the case. It works very well.

It works sorta like the jaws on a COAX press. They are spring loaded, so no matter what case it is, you slide it into the jaws and the spring holds it under tension. Pretty slick system and the spring seems very easily replaced should it ever weaken.

I'm using the original style RCBS hand priming tool. I've been using it since not long after I started handloading, so 20yrs now. It's not the universal version with the spring loaded jaws ($60-70), but rather the version which uses the same shellholder as you use in your press ($35-40). It's a little more time consuming to set up, but only takes about 30-40sec, total, so that's about 1min per casehead size for assembly/disassembly. I've done pistol and rifle with it, and I'm about 12-14k rounds into using it, and it's still going strong. I highly recommend it. Here's a link:

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... ing%20Tool

I've never felt the need for the spring loaded jaw version, and in fact, the version I have has almost no means of breaking down, save the handle return spring breaking or some metal piece getting bent. So far, I've had no issues.

I now have two Lee Auto-Prime tools, neither of which get used much anymore. I have an RCBS Hand Priming Tool, which is used occasionally. I have two RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tools which are used on a continual basis. That pretty much defines my progress in hand priming.

dubyam":qcao9q57 said:
I'm using the original style RCBS hand priming tool. I've been using it since not long after I started handloading, so 20yrs now. It's not the universal version with the spring loaded jaws ($60-70), but rather the version which uses the same shellholder as you use in your press ($35-40). It's a little more time consuming to set up, but only takes about 30-40sec, total, so that's about 1min per casehead size for assembly/disassembly. I've done pistol and rifle with it, and I'm about 12-14k rounds into using it, and it's still going strong. I highly recommend it. Here's a link:

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?c ... ing%20Tool

I've never felt the need for the spring loaded jaw version, and in fact, the version I have has almost no means of breaking down, save the handle return spring breaking or some metal piece getting bent. So far, I've had no issues.

I'm using the same one too.

I did use the Lee back when I started reloading, and it broke as well. I currently use the Hornady hand priming tool and like it.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk 4

I use the Sinclair hand priming tool. Very well built, but a bit slower as you have to hand feed each primer before the case.

+1 Scotty and Mike

RCBS universal is the way to go love mine 2k rounds since I got it about 2 years ago. No problems!!

+1 for the standard rcbs hand priming tool. If its a cartridge your loading for you most likely have the shell holder. At least I hope you do? Knda hard to load without it

I have a Lee Hand Primer and an older RCBS, the one without the guide or primer feed. I use the RCBS almost all of the time. It does not auto feed primers and I do with my fingers which makes to whole setup very easy.

Ingwe":vnjnzwwi said:
SJB358":vnjnzwwi said:
Ingwe":vnjnzwwi said:
I have a K&S...after you use it the others will feel like cheap junk in your hand

What is the K&S?

My mistake! K&M Priming Tool

Well, you got me there. Had to Google it up. Very nice tool. That dial gauge is pretty slick!

That K&M setup appears to be pretty fancy...but may is a little overkill for my purposes

I went to the RCBS Universal tool some years back and I think it's a MUCH better tool than the Lee Auto Prime. When I load low-volume cartridges (for me these happen to all use large rifle primers) I just start the primers with the priming tool, then finish seating with the priming tool on my Co-Ax press. For all others I just use the hand priming tool.

Back