Handgun Bear loads

sxsmike

Beginner
Jun 28, 2008
PoP helped me with a question I had about my 300 wby loads and it worked out very well. Now I have a problem my family rockhounds. We have had a bear tracking us 2 of the last 5 times we have gone to glass butte in oregon I carry a S&W 629 6.5 in 44 mag. and I need a load that I can depend on to protect my family with can any one help???? Please any info would be helpful. I am looking for a semijacketed 300gr pushed hard!!!!! Thanks Big Mike.

I'm thinking in a 6.5" barrel about 20 to 21 grains of w296 under a 300 grain pill is about all you can get out of a 44 mag in a 626. Of course, work up to this level.Good luck with the bears:grin:

I have Nosler's 300gn sporting handgun bullets in my 44. I propel them with 17gn of Alliant 2400. I bought some H110 to play with as well. Fortunately I've only shot at paper and not something coming after me.

just get ya a .22. less recoil and you will be able to shoot it better because of it. :lol:
Just jokin!

300 grain Nosler, XTP, Gold dot (take your pick here) with 20 grains of H110. My standby for over 10 years.

glass butte is cougar country. not an area known for many bear. bear season opens august 1st till november 30th, cougar is open 10 months a year. closed june and july. feel free to PM me a location, i am always looking for a good bear hunt. :lol: plus i live about 90 minutes from glass butte

Just a suggestion for annoying bears. Forget the .44 and get a big can (magnum size) of bear spray. This stuff works better and FASTER for eliminating a bear problem. They will not hang around once you use this.

BK has a great suggestion, A hard cast gas checked bullet will penetrate deeper and can be driven faster then a jacketed bullet.
But I still shoot jacketed.
A max load of 296, H110 or 2400 with a 300gr jacketed bullet work well.
+1 what big rifle man said

Perhaps the best bullet I have used over the years for bear was the Norma 240gr FNSP

Today I use the Speer 270gr FNGD.......excellent results.

Tried the Hardcast but no expansion occured on bear.....one hole in one hole out.......so quit using them........bears seemed to run off after a good hit.

With a little expansion make a big deal.......the Speer 270gr Gold Dot work great on Bear.

Back