Handgun Hunters, are you ready for fall?

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
Just curious if there are any other Handgun Hunters out there. I have been hunting with Single Shot Speciality Pistols since 1982. Over the years there have been T/C Contenders, T/C Encores, Remington XP-100's and a Savage Striker along the way. Cartridges I have used have included:

.223 Remington
6mm-223
6mmT/CU
.243 Winchester
.250 Savage
7-30 Waters
7mm I.H.M.S.A.
.284 Winchester
.30-30 Ackley Improved
.44 Remington Magnum

Recently I picked up a Stainless-Steel Super 14 7-30 Waters Contender Barrel. I have hunted with a 7-30 Waters several years ago, but it was with a 10" Contender.

At any rate upon receiving my Barrel I also received a set of RCBS Reloading Dies, 100 New Remington .30-30 Winchester Cases and 100 Nosler 120gr. Ballistic Tip Bullets.

To make 7-30 Waters Brass out of .30-30 Winchester Brass the first step is to neck the .30-30 Brass down to 7mm. During this process the necking down process leaves a false shoulder on the long .30-30 Case Neck. I adjusted my sizing die so as to form a tight fit for that false shoulder in my chamber to try to eliminate any case stretch during the fireforming process (required to blow out the case body and put the shoulder in the right place).

I read an article on the net about fireforming without using bullets. The article stated to neck the brass down (I had done that) and then fill the case to the case mouth with a fast burning pistol powder and weigh the amount of pistol powder. The article went on to say that the charge weight of the pistol powder would be approximately 10% to 14% of the total capacity.

Once the charge weight was determined the article said to put a plug of toilet paper on top of the powder charge (the author used 1/4 sheet) (which I did). The next step was to fill the case (on top of the pistol powder and toilet paper wad) to the bottom of the case neck with Cream of Wheat. I set up a second powder measure to dump the right amount of Cream of Wheat in my cases. The article then said to put another 1/4 sheet of toilet paper wad on top of the Cream of Wheat.

Well I loaded up a couple cases and headed out of town to see what happened. Wow this worked like a charm, and upon firing I had formed 7-30 Waters Brass fireformed to my chamber. I should note that barrel clean up after firing these Cream of Wheat Fireform Loads was a snap and took only a couple minutes. Once all my cases were fireformed to my chamber I neck sized the brass, and trimmed to length.

I then set out to work up a load with the 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have been using Hodgdon's H-4895 Powder in my .223 Loads for a year or so, so that is what I had on hand. I went to the Hodgdon Web Site and copied their starting and maximum loads for a 120gr. Nosler Solid Base Flat Point Bullet with H-4895 Powder.

After a trip to the range with a bunch of test loads I ended up with a good shooting load. The average for 5 - 3 shot groups at 100 yards came in at .969" with the smallest group going just slightly over 3/4". I then came home and loaded up the rest of my fireformed brass with this new found load and headed out to chronograph it. I was hoping for 2450 FPS with the 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, and wasn't disappointed by much. My load averaged 2436 FPS for 5 shots over the screens of my Chronograph with low extreme spread and standard deviation.

I have my 7-30 Waters all sighted in and ready for Deer Season to roll around. Yeah I will be out shooting up a few rounds between now and then, verifying my zero and just plain practicing.

Just curious if there are any other Handgun Hunters out there, and if you are all ready for Deer Season this fall.

Larry

What do you consider maximum effective range with this outfit? What kind of sights do you use on it?

I'm going to ready once Burris returns my 2x7 scope, problem with the turret. This scope sits atop my SSK 14" 6.5 JDJ, shooting 120 gr BT at 2424 fps. I have shot this combo out to 300 yds.
I also have a T/C Super 14 7x30 Waters with a Nikon 2.5x8. I shoot the 120 gr BT and accuracy is simply amazing. Best group ever went .225" w/ Varget.
Around my house, I use a S&W 629 Classic with a Leupold M8 2x. I shoot the 250 gr PT which is very impressive on WT Deer.

JD338

I enjoy the blanketyblank out of handgun hunting and have taken deer and hogs with
2508 improved
260 rem
270 win
308 win
358 win
and 375win
for groundsqirrels i use
220 swift
221 fireball
204 ruger(my new awsome favorite)
and a newly bought 22 hornet barrel thats a work in progress.
I've been working with the new .277 E-tip in 270 and so far accurate 4350 and IMR 4350 are working out fine so I'll be ready for the newly confiscated I mean designated condor range :evil:

Currently I have a 2.5x8x Weaver Handgun Scope on this Barrel. I am not sure if it is going to stay there or if I am going to replace it. Kind of like to have a 2x7x Burris LER Handgun Scope for it.

From a good rest, with good shot presentation I am thinking 300 yards should be very doable. If conditions are absolutely perfect maybe a few yards more.

A few years ago I hunted Whitetail Deer with a 10" 7-30 Waters Contender (shooting 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2258 FPS). I took a decent 4x4 Whitetail Buck at quite long range drilling both front shoulder fairly high up. The bullet completely penetrated the buck and left and exit wound abou the size of a quarter. The buck dropped in it's tracks. The next day I lasered the distance from where the buck was standing to the tree I was nestled at the base of and the distance was WAY farther than I had intended shooting with the 10" 7-30 Waters, so I do have faith in the cartridge.

Larry

The 7mm 120 gr BT is a very robust bullet. It is made from the 140 gr BT jacket and cut down to make a 120 gr bullet. This makes the jacket a little heavier up front. Its the perfect bullet for the 7x30 Waters. :wink:

JD338

I use a 30-06 Encore and several revolvers. More revolver hunting than single shot but I am going to try to single shot more this year. MY pet load in the Encore is a 150 Ballistic tip over 47.0grs 2015BR in W-W cases lit by a 210M. Gets 2730fps and shoots .50" consistently when I do my part. My revolvers of choice are a Ruger 45/8 Blackhawk with a 2X Leupold and a Taurus 441T .44 special with a 4X Redfiled. Both of these are excellent deer killers. reflex264

I have a 44 mag and a 500 SW . Both shoot great with a veriety of loads but I have never used them for hunting.

JD338":1rnlllsf said:
The 7mm 120 gr BT is a very robust bullet. It is made from the 140 gr BT jacket and cut down to make a 120 gr bullet. This makes the jacket a little heavier up front. Its the perfect bullet for the 7x30 Waters. :wink:

JD338

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. It does make sence to me though as the experience I had with the 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my 10" 7-30 Waters lead me to believe this is a fairly tough bullet for it's weight.

Thanks again.

I am glad to see a few other Handgun Hunters around here. That has been my passion for many years.

Larry

I'm definitely ready for my handgun hunt this fall. Got my Colorado 1st season either sex elk tag and my 30.06 Competitor with 165 grain partitions is sighted in and ready to go. Just to see the mountains again is half the adventure. The highest point in Florida is where the interstate bridges go over the local roads so you can see where I'm coming from. Good luck to everyone this fall.

Definitely ready to try out my ruger black hawk .45 colt this year! I got a fall bear tag and would like nothing better than to fill it with the colt. I guess it's kind of an old school caliber, but shooting the newer buffalo bore ammo it hits hard penetrates much farther than expected. :grin:

Back