Handgun scope?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
What do you recommend for a handgun scope, for a big-bore revolver?

Game will most likely be deer, although I live and hunt in good elk & black bear country too. Am thinking 100 yards, maybe 125 - 150 max - with my .500 S&W revolver.

What do you use? What do you recommend? Any scopes/mounts to avoid?

Thanks, Guy

Guy,

I have a Leupold M8 2X on my 629 Classic. I have shot it at 100 yds but more magnification would be helpful, longest kill is 60 yds which 2X is fine. I would suggest the M8 4X with Leupold rings and bases.

JD338

I agree, Leupold!

I have a Leupold 2X on my .480ruger and have shot it at 100 yards. I agree with JD, more magnification would be helpfull. I have thought about getting a 4X to put on it and buy a .44mag for the 2X :lol:

Guy, I have a TC 2x7 that has put up with a few hundred rounds from a .376 styer without getting trashed, a 2 power leupy on a 375 winchester that has never lost zero, and dont laugh but 2x6 simmons on 358 win., 270 win, 260 rem, 2508 imp, and a couple of others that have done well except when I missmounted one with millet rings, that was my fault. AS far as rings and bases go, I would go with SSK t'sob base and rings or stratton custom base and warne rings.

When it comes to Hunting Handguns with Scopes to me there are only two choices. If it is going on a Long Range Single Shot Handgun to be used for Varmints or really, really long range I perfer the 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope. I have one on a Super 14 .22 LR Match Contender that I use for Small Varmint Hunting (Gophers) as well as Indoor Bench Rest Competition at our local club. I also have one on a Super 14 .223 Remington Contender that I use for everything from Gophers to Prairie Dogs to Coyotes. For long range work or really little critters the 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scopes are the best I have used.

Now on a Big Game Revolver or Single Shot Handgun I really like the 2x7x Burris LER Handgun Scope. The 2x7x Burris LER Handgun Scope has the largest field of view of any variable handgun scope on the market, 21 feet at 100 yards the same as a 2x Leupold EER Handgun Scope. The thing I like about the 2x7x Burris is for close in Hunting I have the biggest fireld of view available, but yet for accuracy testing and or hunting under conditions when more magnification is required it can be turned up.

Several years ago I used a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope on a Super 14 .30-30 Ackley Improved Contender Handgun. I used the Burris on 6x whne my chance at a buck came at 286 yards, and found 7x to be plenty of magnification for the task at hand. Yes I could have more than likely made the shot with a fixed 4x Handgun Scope, but I do not like being limited to a fixed 4x scope should I have to go into a patch of Rice Cane and track a wounded deer. Then I want all the field of view I can get.

I have used both 2x & 4x Leupold EER Handgun Scopes and they are indeed excellent scopes and have their place on hunting handguns. I have not used the 2.5x8x Leupold EER Handgun Scope, but imagine it is a great scope also, it just does not offer the field of view on 2.5x that the 2x7x Burris does on 2x.

I currently have a 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scope also. This is the second 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scope I have had. Both have been very crisp and clear and neither one gave me any problems. While the 2.5x8x28mm Weaver Handgun Scope does not have the field of view of a 2x7x Burris, the Weaver does seem to have more field of view than the specs on the Weaver web site state it has.

I have also used both the 2x6x32mm Bushnell Trophy and Bausch & Laumb 3000 Handgun Scopes. To be honest I didn't care for either one of these scopes. Their field of view is really small.

Larry

I as well have owned the Leupold 2X on a handgun, and for close range stuff it was good, but when extendeing distances arose with my Contender, I really like shooting the 2-7X32mm Burris betterl. It is left on 2 or 3X in the woods, and turned up to 7 for range work, and load development.

Back