Handloads to reloads ?

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
I finally have two batches of handloads ready to go shoot in October if the temps are cool .

For 3006 , #1 is 165 gr bt , imr4350 , Nosler brass and CCI 200 .

# 2 is with w760 and cci250 , same bullet and brass as # 1

If I find something acceptable , will things change when I duplicate the combination with resized fired brass ?

Everything is by the book ( #7 ) except the primers.
Everything is working up at .5 gr increments and 20 thou off the lands.

I have a new Nikon 3 9 / 40 nikoplex that has not been sighted in yet.
So my plan is to sight in using Nosler factory 165 ABs and maybe use these as a reference as to see if I'm in the ballpark of velocity since I have no crony.

Thanks , Ray.

I've never had a chrony. Keep meaning to get one, but life keeps getting in the way. You just have to see what the gun likes. It'll usually tell you loud and clear what it prefers. Also, it's good you have some factory loads to compare it to. .020" off the lands will probably work ok with BT's. Lately, I've changed how I look at loading for OAL. I just load them to the book spec SAAMI OAL and adjust from there if needed. Usually, my guns will like one of the powder/bullet combos I've made and I'll get a sub MOA group. That's all I'm looking for, but some of my guns and loads will do much better than that. I've learned to load to my guns, my expectations, and my typical hunting scenario.

You've picked a good bullet/powder combo with IMR 4350 and 165 grain BT bullets. One of those loads should be very good. It's hard to go wrong with IMR 4350 and a 30-06. BT's or almost any Sierra bullet almost always shoot best in my guns.

On your next loading of your soon to be once fired brass, just watch and measure the brass to make sure it doesn't need trimming. It won't usually need trimming till after it's been shot 2 or 3 times. Otherwise, all you should have to do is reload your best looking load(s) again to confirm they are consistently accurate. I've not used w760, but someone here will have. Good luck with it. BN

Thanks Alderman and BretN , I don't know what to expect but I'm ready to see what happens !

Anything is possible; however, I have never observed a significant difference when using once- or twice-fired brass after working up the initial load with virgin brass. This assumes you use the same lot numbers for components throughout. It is, however, always a mark of wisdom to shoot a few rounds of your final hunting load to verify accuracy.

Today I was at the range. Shot a few loads in new brass. They shot 100fps slower than the same load in once fired brass. That is not always the case, but it happens. It would not surprise me to see new brass being faster than once fired. Only a chronograph and testing each load will tell.

Thank you Dr Mike and Baltz526, I'm using a Lyman 1500 digital scale with rcbs check weights ,
throwing the charges and trickling with Lee dippers.
I took the time to make them all consistent .

Ray

Ray, I used W760 with the 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds last January to take a nice fat cow elk. Load was worked up during the summer here in Tucson and I saw no change in POI at 25 to 30 degrees in New Mexico. Brass was Winchester with the standard nickel plates WLR primers. Haven't tried those brass colored ones yet. So far I've never seen the need for a magnum primer with W760. Shot was right at 100 yards give or take 10. She went maybe 40 feet tops and laid down and died. Bullet did not exit as far as see could tell but was not recovered. Accuracy at the range was sub-MOA.
Paul B.

Thanks PJGunner, do you remember the charge weight for that w760 load ?

I chose the cci250 because some folks were having problems with WLRS , so I decided not to take a chance although I do have some !

Thanks , Ray.

RAY":2vw1dhd3 said:
I finally have two batches of handloads ready to go shoot in October if the temps are cool .

For 3006 , #1 is 165 gr bt , imr4350 , Nosler brass and CCI 200 .

# 2 is with w760 and cci250 , same bullet and brass as # 1

If I find something acceptable , will things change when I duplicate the combination with resized fired brass ?

Everything is by the book ( #7 ) except the primers.
Everything is working up at .5 gr increments and 20 thou off the lands.
>>> what barrel length is the test weapon compared to your rifle? many are longer on the test rifle than are commonly found on most factory rifles.
I have a new Nikon 3 9 / 40 nikoplex that has not been sighted in yet.
So my plan is to sight in using Nosler factory 165 ABs and maybe use these as a reference as to see if I'm in the ballpark of velocity since I have no crony.

Thanks , Ray.

Back