Having a bad time trying to find good loads for 257 Weatherb

62telepicker

Beginner
Oct 16, 2005
I have tried six different loads for my 257. Using different powders and primer combinations. All but two loads keyholed the target at 30yds. The other two loads weren't as bad but still slightly elongated the holes. I am lost!

Tell us more about your rifle and loads.

What make and model are you shooting?
What barrel twist rate?
What bullet make and weight are you shooting?
What powders have you been using?

We will try to help you figure things out.

Regards,

JD338

62, Just a guess but I'll bet you are trying some lighter bullets. I've been shooting the .257 for quite some time and although mine will shoot the lighter bullets ok, it really prefers the heavier ones. The 110 gr. AccuBond shoots really well for me ahead of 68 grains of RL-22. That is a real mild load and very consistent in my gun. It works great on antelope too! But like JD338 said, we need a lot more info to be able to help ya out. It will be our pleasure though.

Jim

Without knowing all the facts my best guess is that the twist rate doesn't match the bullet weight or length.

If you have an early 257 weatherby you will have a hard time getting most of the heavier bullets to stabilize. As I recall the earlier rifles had a 1/12" twist, that is why the weatherby factory ammo back then was loaded with a 117 round nose. Most of the early weatherby's will shoot very well if you stick to bullets of 100 gr or less. Also bullets of 100 gr that are unusually long for its weight (ie barnes tsx) will probably not stabilize. If you have a later production rifle with 1/10" twist I would look for damage on the crown of the barrel or for a mechanical problem such as bedding or barrel contact.

Bluedot is correct, from the description the rifle has the old slow twist rate and the OP is using long bullets. Even the 100 BTips can tip slightly in these rifles if the velocities are not high enough. Stick with the 100-grain Partitions and eschew the heavier bullets.

However, you can get good accuracy from the Hornady 117-grain RN bullets. This is the heavy bullet load which Weatherby used in their factory loads, and it would stabilize in the old rifles due to its short length.

I have a 257 Webee, since mid 80's, 1 in 10 twist! Try the 100 grain Nosler BT and IMR 4350, CCI Mag primers. Accuracy is excellent, velocity is 3470, this is my long range Groundhog outfit.

transonic

They are excellent in the crock pot, :grin: only problem, they keep sticking there heads out and knocking the glass lid off :p . You need to keep a wooden spoon handy to bop them on the head to keep them in the pot.! :roll:

transonic

Sounds like our crab boils when we do them. Have to chase them suckers all over the kitchen. I never realized crabs could fly. Something about boiling water that disagrees with them?!

I bought a .257WBY in about 1987 or so. It was brand new and I'd read an article about loading 100gr. barns x bullets to 3600 fps. So away I went for the ultimate rifle. It would put 3 out of 5 shots in a paper plate at 100 yds. After cleaning copper fouling out of the barrel for days on end I started back to nos/parts in 115gr. and got it to group at about 1 in. I used 69gr of RL 22 behind the 115 gr Partition for 3451 fps. I no longer have the OAL because I traded the rifle off with the loaded ammo but it worked out well for sillouettes out to 500 meters. I got one deer with it but california blacktails at 100 pounds weren't up to that much devistation.
It is probably the ultimate antelope caliber.

Back