Hawkey, VS Model 70 classic.

tjRoberts

Beginner
Dec 3, 2007
I just sold a very prety old wood & blue model 70 classic chamberd in .338 win mag. and bought a ruger Hawkeye SS in the same chambering.
Now the winchester was never a bad rifle, It would usualy group at a 1.5 to 1.75 inches no matter what I shot out of it.
I have to many rifles that shoot to much better , so the model 70 only got used about twice for hunting.
I was thinking of turning it over to my smith for a list of things that included, a Cut & crown at 24. Willams steel bottom metel, better recoil pad and glass bedding.
All in all around 325.00, in mods.
Well the ruger is already 24 inches already has steel trigger guard and floor plate , a much better pad than the Model 70 and I don't think it is likly to need bedding as tight as the stock fits the reciever.
Another thing I really like about the Ruger , is that It was very easy, when I was working on finding the right seating depth as the follower is black while the reciever in front of the follower is silver greay so it is real easy to see when the bullet is seated to long.
So far the Ruger has made a good impression on this rifle loony.
One advatage the Winchester had,(besides being prety) was the trigger.
This new Ruger trigger out of the box was quite crisp but a little heavy.
While I was thinking of ordering a timney for it, when i rememberd that when I installed the timney in my MK2 .257 roberts RL , I used the origional ruger spring beacuse with the timney suplied spring the pull was to darn light.
I got to digging around in spare parts boxes and found that timney spring,
and it took all of about 10 miniets to turn that ruger trigger into a very nice crisp and light trigger.
I mounted a leupold 2X7 on her for now, and the ring spacing just fit beetween the bells.
But with the excelent eye relief even on 7 power it works great.
I loaded up some acubond 225 grainers under V-N160 for a start , if it out shoots the Winchester 1st time out I will be very satisfied with the 4th ruger rifle in my collection.
...tj3006

tjRoberts

Sounds like a nice rifle. Post a picture of the new rig.

JD338

Well, my Hawkeye is suppose to be here this Friday or at latest a week from to morrow. I had a Mod 70 Super Grade in 300Win. It was a beautiful and nice rifle and shoot pretty good. I like the New Ruger M77 Hawekeye matt blued/wood. My 358Win in Hawkeye really shoots and I hope my 30-06 will. I like the Mod 70 over the Mark II but not over the Hawkeye.

I am getting a little behind in my picture posting.
But remember this one is stainless synthetic , it looks about like any other stainless synthetick ruger hawkeye.
Now when i mount sights I will post a picture.
...tj3006

I do like the Hawkeye, but I do have a love affair with the old Model 70s. I only had one that I could not get to shoot, and I should have kept it simply because it was an interesting calibre. Nevertheless, congratulations on the Hawkeye. My experience with two of them is positive.

My .338 hawkye !
Savage99RS300savage011.jpg
[/img]

Nice cartridge, Great rifle, good glass, man you are ready to rock. I like it.

tjr - I had two or three of those "classic" Model 70's and none of them shot very well. I kept trying to like them, but just couldn't make it happen.

Did have a Model 70 Coyote that shot very well. Very well indeed, but it was a rather different rifle from the "classic" model.

I think your new Ruger looks like a terrific hard use elk rifle!

I had 3 of the classics,
The .338 never shot real well, but never to badly either, the 30,06 was the 1st rifle I bought after I sold all my rifles to go to truck driving school about 14 years ago.
It shot quite well, but I screwed a 280 AI barrel in it years later and it was a bad move. Was not worth a hoot after that.
But my 7mm stw is an absolutly incredibal thing.
Often groups under a Quarter inch with 160 grain accubonds, and although I don't use it much, its a heck of a rifle.
What can you say about a rifle when you with a witness vaporized a thumb tack at 100 yards with it !
that rifle went on most of the hunts I bought my .338 for.
Shooting reports soon...tj3006

Back