Heinie Night Sights

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Posted this first in the Kimber section, then thought about it. These sights are available for Glocks and 1911's and likely other guns as well. Decided this might be the spot for it. Moderators - feel free to move it if you'd like!

Recently replaced my Kimber's fading night sights with a new set from Richard Heinie:

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php? ... cts_id=180

These sights are working out great. I had them out at the range last night and took the opportunity to run about 50 rounds through the Kimber, some on paper, mostly on steel. I like the "straight eight" sight picture - the front tritium dot parked just above the slightly dimmer rear dot. Works better for me than the traditional three dot system.

In addition, the fairly wide gap in the rear sight makes picking up the front sight real fast. I did some good shooting with it last night.

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

The "ledge" rear sight is good for racking the slide with only one hand (as in a situation where the other hand might be injured) using my belt or the sole of my boot to rack the slide.

*try this dry fire first - and don't do it with live ammo at home...

They replaced an earlier set of Heinie night sights. BTW - if you're not familiar with his name, Richard Heinie is one of the most highly regarded 1911 builders in the world. I don't believe he builds custom guns for sale anymore, but his sights are certainly very good.

Regards, Guy

Richard has a shop about 30 miles from where I'm sitting right now, in Ill. He still does some custom work, but it's best to contact him. He donates some of his custom work to local gun-clubs for fund-raisers, etc. I need a set of those new night-sights on my ol' Springer .45 he built for me years ago :oops: .

Nice guy and does really good work.

Jim

Guy,

Thanks for the G2 on Richard Heinie and his sights.
Those sights look great!

I am curious, is a 2 dot configuration better than a 3 dot sight for combat shooting?

JD338

JD - for me it works faster - but I think any of the tritium dot sights are great.

One of my officers brought a pair of Kimbers out last night and shot the same steel targets with them. He was much, much better with the tritium sighted 1911.

For me the two dot system is faster/simpler - but even just having a tritium dot on the front sight is actually pretty good.

Of course things are even better with a good flashlight in hand!

Guy

Thanks Guy.
My Kimber Tactical Pro II has the Novak style 3 dot tritium sights on them. They work just fine for me.

JD338

You guys must see better than I do.

My primary is a Kimber TLE II that has three dot Meprolites on it from the factory.
Never a problem picking them up in the daylight or ESPECIALLY in the dark.

Momma's primary is a Glock 22. It's a hand me down from my dad.
When her Trijicon's finally went south and got very dim she asked for a new set.
One of my LEO buddies gave me a set of Heine's straight 8s he had that were about 6 months old.

For the life of me I can't find that rear dot in the dark. :(

She on the other hand shoots them just fine....... :roll:

Duck - I don't have any problem picking up the rear sight, but I wonder if Heinie deliberately makes the rear a little weaker than the front. My front sight really stands out, whereas the rear sight dot isn't nearly as bright.

Guy

Back