Help!

jockperkins

Beginner
Dec 31, 2011
Did some shooting today with my 280AI from a Caldwell lead sled. I was shooting all over the place which is a rarity but has happened to me twice now. I noticed that the ground was a bit moist and the rear cleat of the rest was digging into the ground providing some "bounce" upon recoil. I am not sure, but I think this may have been the culprit (not shooting or loads), but I cannot be sure. Has anyone had this sort of thing happen -- where there is an interruption of recoil by a lead sled which is digging into the ground and causing some POI shift with every shot? I have checked everything else out including a free floated barrel, screws are tight on the scope, and I believe the reticle is fin...

Thanks!

You are on track suspecting the Lead Sled. They can bounce rather severely, disrupting otherwise fine groups.

Dr. Mike,

Thank you for the help. I am going to retry today off of bags and see if that doesn't change it a bit. You have saved me some trouble here perhaps...

Again, thanks for the help!

jockperkins

Best of luck to you. At most, you will want to avoid bounce on recoil when shooting. Any movement of the rest will effect accuracy.

So the bullet cannot move out of the barrel fast enough to preclude movement from the rest, caused by the guns own recoil?

In short, yes. There is a whole lotta' shakin' goin' on when ignition takes place; and while we think it is instantaneous, it still requires a finite amount of time for the case to expand, the bullet to engage the lands and then to accomplish travel the length of the barrel. During this incredibly small amount of time, recoil is initiated and movement of the rest will have an impact on alignment of the barrel to the intended target. This is why we want a steady rest and a reproducible hold whenever we shoot for the highest degree of accuracy.

If you need evidence of this phenomenon, Jock, place a bandana or some other thin cloth on a brick, and use that as a rest. Then re-shoot the same load off sandbags. I'll bet dollars to donuts the brick shot is markedly higher than the sandbag shot due to the rifle jump. That's why if you're using a tree limb or trunk as a rest afield, always put a gloved hand between the tree and the rifle! (A bare hand will get chewed up a little by the bark...but I'd take a little chewing versus an errant miss from a poor rest!)

Back