Help

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
Ok I finally have some funds back in the slush fund and since I can't put my hands on any parts to build my AR I might as well finish some other business

Swfa has some pretty good deals going on some Nikon scopes. Now I am leupold guy but do have an older monarch Ucc that I really like the brightness and love the nikoplex reticle over leupold a standard duplex.

So my dilemma is I need to scope my 300 rum. Will the buckmasters take the beating?

If so then do I go 4.5-14 or 6-18?

I will not et a bdc but would consider a mildot if they were bold enough.

The one concern I have is at 10+ power on my Ucc the black halo can be tough at times

Or u could do a leupold vx 2 for double the money in 4-12 what's that scope like?

The buckmasters I have is a fairly decent scope its a 6-18 and fits right at home on my 22-250. I don't know how it would handle that punishment.

I had a 4.5x14 on a few WSM's and my 338 at one point. It was a good scope and better than any VXII or 2 I have seen. Not sure how it would handle the RUM though, seems like that is a combo to tear lesser made scopes apart in a light rifle. If it is a heavier combo, it might be fine. I have had a ProStaff 4x12 on my 264 for quite awhile and just moved it over to my 7mm Rem Mag. Seems to take those without issues.

I like Nikon's, but if you hawk SWFA's Sample List, you might find a comparable used scope for about the same money. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Have you looked recently with Nikon's huge promo they have going now? This may well be the best prices and bang for your buck that I have seen for several years. I am ordering one in the morning!

I have a 4.5-14 buckmaster on my 300 Rum and not a single issue has been encountered.

The current rebates /pricing is definitely what has my attention regarding these scopes. I am somewhat torn on which route to go still. 6-18 buckmasters for $200 or 4-16 monarch for $300

OU812":2lb0nmpu said:
I have a 4.5-14 buckmaster on my 300 Rum and not a single issue has been encountered.

Ditto had one on my 416 forever.

nitis":1gy6b2q9 said:
The current rebates /pricing is definitely what has my attention regarding these scopes. I am somewhat torn on which route to go still. 6-18 buckmasters for $200 or 4-16 monarch for $300

Flip a coin. Either choice will serve you well. I like the option of 4 power for the some times close encounters in timber, but that's just my thoughts.

A co-worker recently purchased a Monarch and asked of my opinion. I knew this was the most he had ever spent on a scope and was thinking, "man, decent scope but there's better value for the money you spent" to myself. I looked through it and was very impressed. I think they've improved this line. It was dusk and it seemed to be very bright. I know they improved the Pro-Staff line as well so maybe Nikon has finally addressed their perceived lack of effort to stay current. I had nothing to compare it with but I would hunt with a new Monarch without issue.

Back