Help

Cool beans, so that was an easy fix. None of the above, but the difference in brass. Without reading back through it all, I don't remember if you posted what cartridge this is for? The only Hornady brass I have is for 250 Savage, and while not particularly impressive I can't say I noticed a difference with it in trimming.
7mm08

So got back out to my quiet space. Lol just ran all my nosler brass through the trimmer. Not a single burr. Did a few of my lapua no burr. So I guess I'm going to chalk this up to thinner softer brass. I have another question. Yes the wtf(world's finest trimmer) is cut from the neck or should I say the holder holds it at the neck. But it's still set to the entire length of the case. How would that not allow the case to grow to be more close fit to the chamber. I'm cutting it back just shy of .010 of max case length. Jimbires had mentioned this this is why I'm asking. Plus my trimmer does not chamfer and deburr. It's just a flat mill bit.

I didn't word that right .

I don't think the length is adjustable on the WFT . I think it's a preset length .

if I understand the WFT right ; with the WFT trimmer setting up on the case shoulder there is no way to let the neck length grow to more closely match the chamber . I let my neck length grow , and keep them trimmed about 0.010" short of the chamber . I think this helps prevent a carbon build up in the rifle . you can buy a tool to measure the chamber length . you need to cut a piece of brass way way short to use this tool . so if you're interested , save a piece of junk brass to cut down .

I don't think the length is adjustable on the WFT . I think it's a preset length .

if I understand the WFT right ; with the WFT trimmer setting up on the case shoulder there is no way to let the neck length grow to more closely match the chamber . I let my neck length grow , and keep them trimmed about 0.010" short of the chamber . I think this helps prevent a carbon build up in the rifle . you can buy a tool to measure the chamber length . you need to cut a piece of brass way way short to use this tool . so if you're interested , save a piece of junk brass to cut down .

Yes this trimmer is fully adjustable. I did just find out you can measure the chamber in the last couple of days. 2 years in and still learning every day. I just used your link to order the Sinclair case length gage. Its only for hunting puposes but I am trying for the most precise ammo I can make but short necks by .02 ish even is better than to long. Long gets dangerous short can grow not sure it will ever grow to fit my chamber. I don't know how much they grow per firing. Good thing is I've been using the same brass since I've started and have enough back up for a good while.
Thank you for posting the link. This will help in my quest for the best I can make. As for this Hornady brass it is for my BLR 81 which is lever action and it looks like the Sinclair doesn't work in lever action. Wonder if it works in magazine fed lever actions or just all lever actions. Guess I'll find out. Good thing is I was just going to load up this brass for having it on hand and ready. I don't use it for hunting anymore and my son now has a different rifle so he doesn't need to use it. Although he did shoot it real well. Find out if he likes his new rifle better. He's been handling it and looking at it itching to go shoot it. Just got his new scope in the mail last week. Hopefully the wheather gets better so we can get out to our range and have some fun.

Last edited:
Forgot pics of the trimmer. I like this trimmer besides it makes a big mess and the little issue with the hornady brass.

Attachments

• 20230305_061611.jpg
    20230305_061611.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230305_061619.jpg
    20230305_061619.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230305_061640.jpg
    20230305_061640.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 3
I'm glad your trimmer worked well on the other brass . I need to go read up on the WFT , it's not what I remember it being . there can be a lot to learn in this hobby , depends on how deep you want to go . I've been at it 45 years . I try to pass along what I know , and still learning from others .

So a little follow up on my quest for perfection ish. Got my chamber gauge and made my case like instructions. The .1 they say to make it smaller than max trim length wasn't enough for my son's ruger and my trimmer wouldn't go any smaller so I grabbed my 357 mag le Wilson trimmer and got it down a little smaller but seemed like it still bottomed the gauge out in the case. I'll try something else to get it a little smaller for his rifle. This gave me enough space for it to work in my Tikka. Did it a few times to make sure it came out the same and it did. 2.0725. So this is my chamber size. What is recommended to trim brass to? Books say 2.035 max. I have one source says 2.046 what would you all recommend now that I have this measurement to go by?

So you think I should let them grow to 2.0625 which is the .01 less than my chamber which is at 2.0725?

So you think I should let them grow to 2.0625 which is the .01 less than my chamber which is at 2.0725?
yes , I would probably keep it simple and trim to 2.0600 keep in mind you have to watch this close , you are removing the built in extra safety margin . I run mine through the trimmer every loading cycle .
with you loading for two 7-08's are you keeping the brass designated for each rifle ? you will have to now , if your going to trim to match the chambers .

just for my own knowledge , I let a couple go longer than my chamber . when I tried to chamber them they really needed a push to get the bolt closed on my rifle . I did not fire them for fear of over pressure . I wanted to see how easy one could be chambered and fired due to a screwup . it's very noticeable something is not right .

yes , I would probably keep it simple and trim to 2.0600 keep in mind you have to watch this close , you are removing the built in extra safety margin . I run mine through the trimmer every loading cycle .
with you loading for two 7-08's are you keeping the brass designated for each rifle ? you will have to now , if your going to trim to match the chambers .

just for my own knowledge , I let a couple go longer than my chamber . when I tried to chamber them they really needed a push to get the bolt closed on my rifle . I did not fire them for fear of over pressure . I wanted to see how easy one could be chambered and fired due to a screwup . it's very noticeable something is not right .
Yes I will be keeping the brass separate. I use lupua and I found some starline for him. It'll be easy now to keep them separate but if lapua doesn't come off of some 7mm08 brass I'll be stealing some starline from him. Good to know about the hard to close issue. I am pretty good about paying attention to how the rifle feels and such. I keep a pretty close eye on my son when we are out at our range and when he is working with me in the reloading room. Don't need to blow my face of or worse his. He's a lot better looking then me. His girl friends would be mad at me. Thanks for your help

Worst case, you can use a neck turning tool to cut the ring off without really getting into the neck. I've seen what you're describing and I haven't had any problems with it. Usually the chamber neck is oversize enough that there is plenty of clearance but it's smart to keep a close eye on it and eliminate it if you can.

Back