Hodgdon acquires Ramshot and Accurate powders

Holy Cow!
They are gobbling up powder makers left and right.
Don't know if that's good or bad.
Hopefully good.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I should think that distribution will be improved. However, it could mean the loss of some powders that are not great sellers.

All it would take would be for Bloomburg or some other rich liberal to buy them out, shut it down and that's all she wrote folks....

I'm not sure about this . here's just a couple of my thoughts . when you own most brands of powders there's no competition , you set the price . each of these companies would keep a slow mover or two in production , now probably not . Hodgdon hasn't been able to keep up with demand , I doubt this will help . I hope I'm wrong .

I share many of the same concerns that you guys do. Its already occurred to me that they will be able to almost set their own price since the now control Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester, and are adding Accurate, Ramshot, and Blackhorn209. Hodgdon hasnt been great with keeping up with the demand for their current lineup of products and Im afraid this recent acquisition will only exacerbate the the situation. I hope Im wrong but I personally think this is TERRIBLE news for hunters / shooters / reloaders

Wonder what this means for their recipes and where to find them...

I like Ramshot and Accurate powders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kind of like one family owning all the dealerships in town because they know everyone doesn't buy the same brand of vehicle but they will be making money because they sell them all. Hope they keep the market supplied. Time will tell. Dan.

mjcmichigan":30m49bbw said:
Wonder what this means for their recipes and where to find them...

I like Ramshot and Accurate powders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The press release mentions that they are adding a balistics lab( ramshot) and will be able to provide more data in the reloading data center.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kinda makes me a bit nervous. Several Hodgdon powders have been hard to find here. Also like others have said, there will not be much competition to keep prices down now. Ramshot big game has been steadily available locally, and i have yet to find a better powder for heavy bullets in the 9.3x62's I own. I just hope they keep up with production, and don't start cutting powders.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can understand some of your nervousness but like Nosler and Hornady they are family owned by good people and not some big conglomeration so that is in our favour. Unlike other companies the supply of Hodgdon and IMR powders has remained steady in Canada. I believe other powder companies favour the U.S. over other countries which is frustrating for the rest of us. One area with Hodgdon I do have an issue with is Canadian made IMR powders should be cheaper to buy here but they charge the same as other powders imported from Australia and other companies.

Only problem with big family run profitable businesses is the conglomerates buy them when opportunity arises. Kind of like Les Schwab tire sold out a year or so ago. Younger generations often want the $$$ more than the work/headache. Original Founder 6 feet under and lots of relatives want ‘to enjoy life’ ... :)

I like Hodgdon but prices are going up. They control too much of distribution for it not to. Compare powder prices relative to inflation and it ain't all because of demand; it's market power and consolidation.

Are they going to move the distribution center from Miles City? National Security risk of having most all the major supply of powder in one spot? Or do they have multiple locations?

The entire civilian powder market isn't enough to be a 'national security' problem. We're the waste market for tips and tails of production lots for the military.

I'm not happy about this for a couple reasons:

1) Loss of competition in the market = too-high prices.

2) Hodgdon has had some poor to terrible customer service people in their employ over the years. Western's people I could rely on, but not Hodgy's.

***EDIT:
And, I forgot:

3) Hodgy is the most 'closed' and secretive of all the major powder bottlers in terms of sharing info about powders in any way, with anyone (consumers, QuickLOAD's developer, etc.).

4) Hodgy does not appear to have a very tight tolerance window for the individual powders they sell, at least based on the _minimal_ info they make or have previously made available.

This is bad news, to me.

MZ5":12fr9c93 said:
This is bad news, to me.
Agreed. Their press release mainly talks about operational efficiencies they'll be able to wring out of it. Nothing about why it's a good deal for consumers. It's not. Last time I bought powder, Accurate was 15%-30% cheaper than comparable Alliant/IMR/Hodgdon products--how long do you think that'll last. Unlikely IMHO unless Hodgdon treats Accurate as their clearance rack. I doubt they will for Ramshot.

Back