Hodgdon powders?

desertcj

Handloader
Sep 27, 2010
Anybody know what the deal is with them? Almost every single powder in the Hodgdon line is sold out and " Unavailable". I know things were crazy for quite a while but are they completely out of production? I'm to the point where I don't even want to bother developing loads with the small amount of Hodgdon powder I have due to the complete unavailability!

Supply and demand. The explosion of the plant in Belgium this past year had a detrimental impact on a lot of powder distributors. Added to the increased demand, manufacturers are having a difficult time keeping up. The demand has outstripped capacity. Hodgdon has done a reasonable job of maintaining supplies. The other factor is that many times suppliers aren't able to order enough to meet expectations of hand loaders.

http://bearingarms.com/will-a-belgian-gunpowder-plant-explosion-affect-the-u-s-ammo-market/

http://bearingarms.com/clearing-of-...xplosion-ripples-through-ammunition-industry/

http://bearingarms.com/pb-clermont-...ammunition-industry-remains-ominously-silent/

http://www.precisionammunition.com/...wder-plant-in-the-world-damaged-in-explosion/

Well that would explain it! Not trying to argue but I'd like to order 8 lbs of H1000. I can't find it anywhere, neither do I see 90% of their other offerings available anywhere. I can't agree that they are maintaining supplies. I'm sure they are doing what they can and I hope they get back on track soon.

Ouch. Those are the highest prices I've seen. Thanks for the link though.

Those prices are not just high, they are completely insane. That's like the people trying to get rich on 22 ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder Valley and MidSouth Shooters sell 8's for $165 and change.

While currently showing out of stock, both venders have been getting Hodgdon and IMR stock in about once a month to month and a half. Within that period I have seen 8's of H335, H322, IMR XBR, Varget and others. While I can't speak to the H1000 as I haven't been paying attention to that......keep an eye on these two web sites and you will eventually score. If you facebook (I don't), as I understand it Powder Valley also notifies there when they get large lots in.

While this doesn't help you right now.... powder has been more available online as of late in my opinion.... local fun store has 8's of H335 and misc alliant on the shelf at the moment and that would have caused a stampede a year ago......but I realize that doesn't really help you much.

Check the web sites daily...you will find it.

Edit for this...... Checked with a friend and Powder Valley last had 8's of H1000 last week (on the 16th) and they almost lasted all day before selling out. Keep an eye on em.

Powder valley had H1000 and H4350 in stock about 3 or 4 days ago, went real quick.
Got to be looking every day, several times a day.

wnc-coyote":p1uu8v2z said:
Those prices are not just high, they are completely insane. That's like the people trying to get rich on 22 ammo.

We are paying that in BC here. And have been for quite some time. $36.95 is almost a steal. I went to Canadian Tire (Box store here) and found that they jacked their prices to$50.95 for 1 lbs!!

About the only powder I am having trouble finding locally is varget. I must be lucky with prices I have yet to pay over 26 for any powder i use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADI's website has indicated they are back producing
many needed powders again..Wonder how long it will take
to hit the states...I need some Clays or International, and I
am assuming Hodgdon is getting it from them ?

greenheadcaller":114hw2u9 said:
desertcj ..... while not 8's - powder valley has the H1000 you were looking for in singles at the moment

I saw that. Thanks. I have a little less than a pound...just wanted an 8 lb er so I could be sure it all came from the same lot.

Cabelas on-line has H4350 in stock right now.

IMR powders have been somewhat easier to find lately though. Good luck!

NWBlacktail":3371z0o9 said:
Cabelas on-line has H4350 in stock right now.

IMR powders have been somewhat easier to find lately though. Good luck!
OUCH, at that price they can keep it.

I've got an order of the new IMR 4451 coming in to try.
It's supposed to be comparable to IMR 4350 but less temperature sensitive.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":icvmw4s5 said:
I've got an order of the new IMR 4451 coming in to try.
It's supposed to be comparable to IMR 4350 but less temperature sensitive.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If anybody else wants to try the 4451.... powder valley has 8's and singles today

Wideners also has 8's of H322 at the moment (a little high at $176 though)

Midsouth Shooters has singles of XBR (Can call and ask/request same lot #'s if ordering multiples)

I live an hour or so from the ADI plant where they make the stuff and paying more than $50 per pound!

Back