Home Pistol Range

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I threw together a quick pistol range. It's 20 yards from my window shooting bench in the back of the pole barn. Outside, we can shoot what ever we want but will shoot 7 yards mostly.
The gong is AR500 3/8" 10" diameter. The holes in it are from my 416 Wby.
We are going to try it out later this afternoon.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_142329419.jpg
    IMG_20230520_142329419.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
You are blessed to have such opportunity to build that range. It sure does look good.

I would be concerned about lead splatter at 7 yards. My buddy got hit in the face shooting steel at short range. The lead pierced his cheek just under his eye. He was wearing eye protection at the time.

I threw together a quick pistol range. It's 20 yards from my window shooting bench in the back of the pole barn. Outside, we can shoot what ever we want but will shoot 7 yards mostly.
The gong is AR500 3/8" 10" diameter. The holes in it are from my 416 Wby.
We are going to try it out later this afternoon.

JD338
JD, if you're going to shoot at the plate be watchful of the bullets coming back at you. We have a set of six plates that we shoot at that have numerous holes from rifles and after shooting at the plates with a handgun for about 20 minutes we look like we went through the war and didn't escape unscathed.

Nice set up and I'm envious.
JD I belong to a pistol club that shoots various types targets and we have a range for what I prefer to call the spray and pray crowd who shoot on the steel target range. We have had at least 2 members who have had to have shrapnel removed from their body due to shooting at the steel targets and some of the by standers have been hit and cut by shrapnel. Seven yards is way too close to shoot with any type of pistol bullet either lead or jacket types.
Please be careful shooting steel targets with handguns at close range. I would use the synthetic targets for close range if it were me.

That is great, Jim. Nice and convenient for you. You, Sue, and your friends will get some fun use out of that.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Yes I am aware of the bounce back. We are actually shooting off center of the gong just in case.
We put well over 100 rounds down range yesterday with most of our shooting done at 10 yards and all went well.
We were shooting 9 mm and 45 ACP.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_102008097.jpg
    IMG_20230521_102008097.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Back